Tuesday, February 1, 2022

SAHRR: Do These Wonky Stars Make My Quilt Look Big?

Aaaaaaaaand…. We’re OFF and running with Round 3 of the Stay at Home Round Robin! 

This week, it was Roseanne at Home Sewn by Us who called the round’s theme. She called my old nemesis Wonky Stars. Last year Wendy called Wonky Stars. I tried, but couldn’t wonk. So I made friendship stars instead. This year, I tried again. I actually got two stars made! But let me back up just a bit

This is how my block/future quilt looked at the end of Round Two.

So when I read we were to do the Wonky Stars, I slept on it. I actually woke up in the middle of the night with a brilliant (to my sleepy mind) idea! I would first add a bright stop border of color, then do the wonky stars in black! I could not wait to get started.

The first star was pieced in a 5” (ish) square, which would be sewn into the border. Unimpressive. They’re shown here with last week’s equally unimpressive first attempt at diamonds. Maybe a lighter background color? But I really wanted to get the purple introduced before things got too far along. Larger stars? 

By then, I knew Plan A was a bust, and I started just throwing ideas and colors up on the design wall. 

That Kaffe fabric…. Yum. But not here, not now. But I rather like that (hand drawn and traced to fabric) starfish. Hey, STARfish! They’re wonky, right?!? And this was always going to be developed into a sea-feeling quilt. So I had my plan and just needed to experiment with fabrics and colors some more.

In the end, this is where I’m at after round three. The purple stop border is a bit wider on the top and bottom than it is on the sides. Coupled with the Kaffe fabric on the top and bottom, I was able to get wide enough borders for effectively-sized starfish AND convert the block back into a rectangle.

Regular readers may remember that Kaffe fabric from my Seahorse With No Name quilt from last year. I found another use for it here, and there is still some left over. 

Anyway, the starfish were traced onto Heat ‘n Bond and steam pressed on. Then I machine zig-zagged around them to permanently secure them. I love them!! The quilt measures about 22.5” wide by 30.5” tall at this stage.

I’m linking up to the SAHRR at Roseanne’s blog. I hope you’ll drop by and visit all the creativity there!

17 comments:

  1. Wonky is as Wonky does. Great solution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful wonky "starfish stars"--they look great!! Funny how we all have some kind of nemisis
    Mine is anything triangular!! ;000--My Go! Baby die cutter does help me out as it squares off corners for me...some of us need that extra help hahaha.
    Your piece is looking great...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant Wonky Star(fish) idea, Cathy. LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the starfish fit your quilt theme much better than standard wonky stars. Great idea! And the addition of that Kaffe fabric really gave it some zip that combined all of the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Starfish - perfect! I love your colors, Cathy! I like this solution to the wonky stars. I'm not making wonky stars either, but I decided any stars will do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cathy!! Ohhhhh. I did NOT want to cause any stress over wonky stars. This is the year of no stress - it's not allowed - it's against the law (somewhere, maybe). I like your idea of the black wonky star . . . and was excited right along with you. I am thrilled with the direction you took this prompt!! You're on track with a rectangle now, the purple is introduced, AND the starfish have STAR in their name! It has a bit of a beachy vibe going on, don't you think? LOVE it. I cannot wait to see where this goes next. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great wonky star...fish! Love the results!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have worked this out so cleverly. The starfish and Kaffe plus the narrow purple border are a fantastic top and bottom for the quilt and then then the narrow purple again for the sides is perfect. You’ve kept the rectangular measurements you wanted as well. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever! I love the starfish, and the purple. Looking really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The starfish are a wonderful addition and you did well to get back to your rectangular design. Wonky anything does me in. My brain wants to make everything straight and even.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great solution! You made the quilt so lively and fun. And I suspect letting loose on this round is going to make later rounds easier. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like where you are going with this. The starfish are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh goodness, I'm so behind on catching up on posts! I love your starfish blocks! Perfect! Maybe you can sneak that Kaffe fabric in this week (wink!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant solution! And I'm so impressed that you woke in the middle of the night with a great idea and actually remembered it come morning!! I do that all the time and then when I wake up in the morning all I can remember is that something brilliant happened in my brain but that's as far as I can get. Very rarely does my 'news flash' come back in the light of day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt looks great! Love those colors together!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!