Friday, February 25, 2022

Ready For a New Color

It’s only a few days until the new color for March is announced by Angela, our Rainbow Scrap Challenge hostess. I can’t wait! I’ve sewed almost my aqua scraps and even made cuts into fat quarters, using two for placemat backs - I’ll show you later in this post. 

One day this week we took a load of stuff to the thrift store. I also wanted to go in to see if I could find any decent fabric or sheets to use as quilt backings. I did OK - found a denim-look queen top sheet and a pale green queen top sheet. The store had most of the fabric pieces bagged and hanging on hooks in the Domestics. I found one package for $2.99 (less a 20% senior discount and less another 20% discount for donating). It had 3 pieces of cute aqua cotton fabrics measuring roughly 21” by WOF (width of fabric). The second pack I picked up was $3.99 less those same two discounts, and had two cute prints (navy/pinks and gray/pink/green) that measured over 1.5 yards. Good score!

First, let me show you how the quilt top for the Stay at Home Round Robin (SAHRR) finished up. Here is the flimsy before starting this week’s round. It measured 40.5 x 48.5"


This week’s hostess, Chris, called the classic Shoofly block for this final round. I was very happy with that because I’ve only ever done a handful of those, and I’d be hard pressed to tell you when. Anyway, I first added a small stop border on the outside of last week’s appliqué border. That made the top dimensions all wonky for 6” shoofly blocks on the long sides.  Also, I over-estimated how much the color would separate the individual shoofly blocks from each other. Some look like they run together color-wise. I should’ve made fewer blocks and used spacers between them. It would’ve been more dramatic with the black and then they could’ve gone all the way around. But I am NOT ripping them out and re-doing it. 


Bruce loves it, and that’s what’s important. I’m totally disappointed in myself for blowing the finish when up to now it was going so (forgive the pun) “swimmingly”.  On the positive side, I learned a lesson about spacing these blocks AND I had mostly excellent points on the blocks. Some of those points will get eaten up by the black binding, but I’m done. I’m not going to sew another little black border on it just to preserve the points that no one will notice anyway. So, this quilt now measures 55x62”, which is a good size for Bruce to sit under in his recliner. I was going to have it custom quilted, but I’m throwing in the towel on that, too. I’ll just hack my way through it. *sigh*

I’m linking up to the SAHRR weekly post for this final sixth round at ChrisKnits. I invite you to drop by and see all the lovely quilt tops that have been created! We will have a final finished quilt parade on March 21 (ish), but I’ll link up to show you when the time comes. 

I still had some aqua blocks to finish up for the RSC this week.  These bow tie blocks are a new start for me this month. When you have lots of 2.5” squares, make bow ties!


I also sewed up all my aqua/teal crumbs and made them into 6.5” blocks. I made 10 of those and then added two aqua orphan blocks. They made two delightful placemats at 12x18” each. 

Two placemats - front

Two placemats - back

I’m linking up with Joy and friends for the Table Scraps monthly linkup. Come check it out!

And to round out the month, I finished up the last two little Quilts for Kids for February. These are always made from donated scraps. This first one I’m calling Eighties Throwback because of the colors. It measures 40x46”. The backing is the last (thank goodness!) of a text print I had.


And then I had to put together my monthly strings quilt in hopes of beating that pile of string blocks down. I did sew up any aqua strings I had on hand into blocks, so there were 7 of them added this month. But this quilt used 56 blocks, so I’m down by a net of 49 string blocks. If I keep doing that this year, I may use up all or most of them!


This cutie measures 42x48, the usual size I make the string quilts. Here’s the back.


And that’s it for this week! I have a whole weekend to sew before starting in on the March RSC color. Saturday is our monthly Quilts for Kids workshop, where we’ll be working with crumbs and teaching the ladies to sew crumbs together. I’m bringing my Accuquilt cutter and lots of idea pictures.  

And the best news is that I’ve got dinner already prepped for tonight and Saturday, so no cooking! YAY! Have a great week everyone!

22 comments:

  1. Don’t quilt and finish your Swimmingly quilt just yet…I am announcing myself as next week’s round decider. (I think I lost the use of the English language somewhere in the last sentence.) in any case, I call Next week Shark week and I want a border of shark teeth. Also, I like how the rectangles poke out between the shoo fly blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! You are SEW productive, Cathy! You did a great job with those scrappy AQUA/TEAL scrappy/improv/orphan placemats. Thanks for linking to the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say that all of your work is very pretty and creative, but what caught my attention was the fact that you had dinner made for two nights and didn't have to come up with a new idea for Saturday - you're my kinda girl!!! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the setting of your aqua strings with the scrappy string blocks--very nice indeed!:))) SAHRR is looking might good--I like the different top border!

    I did do a bit of sewing--trying for only 30 minutes--(went over mostly and now am sore again--bad bad girl!!)a couple crumb blocks, worked on two dolly quilts and got my Curling blocks done...(Um I guess that's more than just a little, huh?) S I G H ...I am calling a resting weekend...hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I see Bruce's quilt I think I love it more! I'm sure he's over the moon with it and will give it lots of good use. If he doesn't love it then I'm sure there's a number of us that would be more than happy to give it a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "No one will notice the points." So true. You got some great thrift shop bargains this week My favorite is (still) the cascading strings. Rainbow trout in the river?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never paid much attention to the secondary pattern created by the shoofly block...I like it! Love the colors and the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bowties best! Such a great idea to make a traditional block with mono... what is the word when you use one color?? You know what I mean, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you did score at the thrift shop! I never think to go looking at the one near us, but I should try it. I think Swimmingly is turning out great, and what counts is that Bruce loves it. In my two years of playing along with the SAHRR, I think I've learned that I am quilty math-challenged, and that my projects always turn out a little bit crazy because I'm trying to work with what I have. If there's a next year, I think I will stock up on a big yardage for background fabric, because that's what I struggled with this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was so fun to see your blue strings quilt "in the flesh" today at QFK-- and to see you again! I'm hoping to be able to make the next meeting, and maybe even have a few tops to bring! (...are you shocked I actually made a comment? lol)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely round up for the Aqua/Teal RSC month. Great bow ties, the Eighties Throwback finished quilt, and, of course, the String Quilt ( love the backing fabric). Your Round Robin quilt is lovely. Bruce will love resting under that when you have done your quilting magic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I really love the string blocks. And I like the churn dashes together on your SAHRR! A lot! It’s just spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Cathy! Wow. A bit harsh on yourself aren't you?? You're disappointed, although the person who you are making this for loves it. You're going to "hack" your way through quilting it instead of sending it out?? With a sigh, no less? Perhaps you missed the memo, misread it, OR didn't read it. In order to participate in the SAHRR, there is NO STRESSED ALLOWED. Of any sort. Do I need to report you to the SAHRR quilt police? Do we need to bar you from the quilt parade - not allow votes for a favorite, which isn't happening?? Finally, and most importantly, are you not supposed to be kind?? Even if it's "only" to yourself? Goodness. I am upset and I LIKE your piece. I'm with Bruce. A small minority, perhaps - not that our voice counts or anything. As a real final note - I am JUST KIDDING. Kind of. You are too harsh on yourself!! What a perfect size it finished at. Your teal/aqua project are all fab. No cooking for last night and tonight is a win/win/twirly win in my book. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Any day without cooking is a good day . . .and I love your SAHRR quilt! Here's the thing-- if you're unhappy with it, you get to fix it. Maybe it just needs a time out? As it is, it's very striking, and if your hubby loves it, it's great! I say send it out to be quilted and see if you don't love it when it gets back. But it's lovely, so I'm sure you'll open the box and be very happy. I love your string quilts, too, but we already knew that. . .enjoy the rest of the cooking-free weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots of lovely aqua/teal projects happening at your place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely finishes! the RSC color for march is yellow/gold. i saw that on the RSC22 tab at angela's blog. i'm finished with all my aqua, too, and i have a bit of time tonight, so i'm going to get started on some yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great finish for your quilt! I love it! Your aqua RSC blocks are looking good too. I love those ombre placemats!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love your SAHRR! The colors, the ocean appliques, just gorgeous! The spot of purple in it is so pretty with the black & teals. Great job!!! Very pretty string quilt too. Love the backing you chose, so perfect. This was a really pretty post all around!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry you're disappointed with the final border on your SAHRR quilt. Maybe it just needs to retire for awhile and you can evaluate it again later? It's about enjoying the process, right ;-) Regardless, I love the black and underwater brights color combo...and you had lots of inspired ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the Shoo Fly blocks look kinda cool.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!