Wednesday, February 16, 2022

A Whale of a Good Time!

No, we’re not out partying like college kids on spring break. I mean, really. It’s winter in Utah and it snowed today. We’re old fogies, there’s a pandemic going on (but the tide seems to be turning to use yet another seaside idiom), and who’s got that kind of energy? No, my idea of a good time the last couple of days has been working on the next round of the Stay at Home Round Robin. So let’s get to it, shall we?

This is where my project finished last week after Round 4:


On Monday, our Round Five hostess (and brainchild behind the SAHRR), Gail of Quilting Gail, called Appliqué for the next round. An alternate of rail fence blocks was given for those not crazy, er, daring enough to do appliqué. Or in my case, to do MORE appliqué.  Yes, I decided on appliqué so I could insert more ocean motifs.

First I had to decide how wide to make the next border and what color. I found a nice ocean blue in my stash. Then came the images - how many? Which ones? Since this quilt is for my husband Bruce, I let him help me pick designs. I searched for some copyright-free line drawings and/or silhouettes online, and we picked our favorites. Then I drew them on paper a few times until I got the scale and proportions right. 

From there I sewed on the blue fabric border, fused Steam-a-Seam Lite to the back of black and green fabrics, and traced the shapes on. Then I cut them out, fused them on and topstitched them down. It. Took. Forever.  Here’s the back side and then the front side of the first motif, a sea turtle. 




Continuing on, I eventually had it finished.


I knew I wanted long-ish motifs on the sides. When Bruce said he didn’t want jellyfish, I switched to seaweed/grasses with seahorses. The anchors were extras that we just decided to throw in because why not? You can see they are slightly different because my drawing skills are limited,


So, that’s it for this round. The quilt now measures 40.5” x 48.5”. Depending on what the next round will be, I may add a thin stop border around the blue before proceeding. I sure hope next week’s round isn’t as time-intensive! But I know it will be just as fun!

I invite you to come check out what the other participants are doing. You can find the link-up quilt parade at Quilting Gail’s blog.

22 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love that you went with appliqué, even if it was time-consuming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply stunning addition Cathy!! Wow that is a lot of work but definitely well worth it...
    (easy for me to say, right heh heh) No but seriously this is really coming together beautifully. So pretty and such vibrant colors--very Ocean-ish. Nice work
    hugs, from another gray day here Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and P.S. I I love how the seaweed looks on the latest border...:)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are perfect for your theme in this quilt, Cathy! I love the seaweed along the sides. I also love that Bruce is giving input - I guess it is his quilt after all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off, those elephant blocks are so cute, Cathy. Love them in aqua too!
    And this piece is really shaping up. Love the motif you are using to full advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so looking forward to the final border of cats licking the plates of their delicious seafood dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just LOVE your fabrics and the design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty. Your sea-themed appliques are terrific

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so, so cute! I love your appliques. You are much braver than me. Looks great, and I'm looking forward to the final border!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous! Love the variety of sea creatures and how they are swimming around the corners of the border. The sea horses against the sea weed are delightful! So creative, Cathy. Nice that you and Bruce pooled ideas on this round.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your ocean-inspired applique border! It is fantastic and definitely worth all the time it took!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the return of the nautical theme and how this round calmed the overall effect!! Nicely done, Cathy. The extra time was SEW worth the effort!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are having SEW much fun making this for your sweetie! Sew glad you have each other! It is good to have one to bounce ideas off of and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I caught my breath when I saw this week's SAHRR! I love it!!! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely love your SAHRR! Great work, exactly something I would do if I wasn't working on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cathy. Have you ever looked at Marshall Dry Goods Co
    They sell by the bolt which makes fabric around 3$.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  17. This border is fantastic! I really like it. Nice choice of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! I LOVE this and it fits the rest so perfectly!!!! Well done! This is such a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your applique is PERFECT!!! I love the variety of sea creatures ... so nice!
    Thanks for linking up to the linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely love the colours you're using in this one - all are favourites. It must be such fun to work on - not only from the colour standpoint but also the feeling of the sea. Good way to take your mind off miserable winter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This round definitely makes the quilt! It's turning out to be wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!