Saturday, February 12, 2022

Moving out Those Scraps!

Happy Weekend! Even as a retiree, there is something about the weekend that says RELAX. If I’m being honest, the rest of the week is often that way too. No surprise there. But something about the weekend, when you know that most of your family and friends are off too, makes it special. It’s when we try to get together with family but avoid errands and public places.

My focus in the studio this week was to finish up three little quilts for Quilts for Kids. I accomplished that, but there was a reason for doing them early in the month. I’m really light on aqua and teal scraps for this month’s Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I knew some scraps in those colorways (or close to those colorways) were squirreled away in some of the scrappy quilt “kits” I make up to assemble into future quilts. 

But let me back up a minute. Whenever I get a batch of scraps, I sort them into groups that go well together, then put them in a gallon-size (or larger) baggie. For every month of the RSC, I pull out baggie kits that contain that month’s color and work to make those into quilts. So this month I made the quilts early on so that I could funnel any leftover teal or aqua scraps into my RSC block-making. See? A method to my madness!

So let’s start with the two blocks that I did sew first - the elephants.


Aren’t they cute?!?  I was actually hoping to have more in this range of colors, so I may resort to cutting up something larger, like a fat quarter or (gasp!) half yard. We’ll see. Shhhhhh!

Last week I gave you a sneak peek of two of the three quilts, so let’s start with those. First up is Dinos.


Dinos finished at 42x48 and was quilted in a cross-hatch pattern with a serpentine stitch. The back is a plain light blue cotton sheet. I had this kit sitting in my stash last year, but didn’t have enough of the polka dot fabric to make it. But then last October when I taught that scrappy workshop at our QFK meeting, someone gave me another hunk of it. Yay! It was enough to complete the original plan I’d drawn.

The next quilt is Mermaids, and again was cobbled together from matching scraps donated to me over the last couple years.


Mermaids measures 38.5x43.5”, was quilted with loops (my go-to pattern; I just zone out!) and the backing is the second half of the same huge blue sheet used on Dinos. 

The final quilt was made from leftover jelly roll strips. Some were width-of-fabric strips and some were not. But I needed to use them all to get a decent length. So I added in solid blocks of color - also from scraps - to extend strips where needed. Bonus - it added a lot of interest to what would have been a pretty plain quilt. 


That center purple block isn’t as bold as the photo makes it look. Each color block got its own quilting treatment. Of course, the purple shows up the most and it’s the worst one. I was practicing my ribbon candy quilting and it definitely needs work! But other motifs turned out better. That yellow block? It was the only scrap that was wide and long enough, but it was too bright. So I turned it over and used the back. Perfect!


This little quilt finished at 38 x 45”.

I’m still participating in the Stay at Home Round Robin, and was able to finish the fourth round. This week, hostess Wendy chose the Signautre Block (aka Indian Hatchet). Here is my quilt with this round included. It currently measures 32.5x40” with two rounds to go. 


The last photo I’m including is the scrappy contents of the “scrap kit” I’ll be assembling into a quilt this week. I thought there was more aqua in it, but it’s really more of a Seafoam green (and the Eighties called and wants their Seafoam and dusty pinks back!)


Some of these scraps literally did not make the cut, like the skinny strips and the patterned green. The rest are cut and ready to be sewn. Stay tuned! I’ll also be focusing on my now-meatier pile of aqua scraps to make some Bullseye Log Cabins, some Bear Paws and some crumb tumblers and blocks.

Linking up to Scrappy Saturday.

15 comments:

  1. "the 80s called" haha. i have some fabrics like that, too! (the 80's keeps calling for the muslin/backgrouds back, too...) i like the dinos quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mermaids was a terrific use of lots of different things and came together beautifully! Of course those elephants are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you put your "scrap kit" together -- great idea; and your Elephants are so darn cute!! And, I really love the Mermaid quilt you made--so neat!!

    I hope to do a bit of hexie work this afternoon -- tired after yesterday's "strolling" yikes it doesn't take long for muscles to get weakened does it? Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your elephant blocks are so cute, they make me want to smile. Love all your Kids quilts, those polka dots compliment the dinos beautifully. But I really love the strippy quilt with the coloured blocks dotted around. Without them I don’t think the individual strips of novelty fabrics would show up as they do in your finished quilt. Somehow the fabric rectangles draw the eye to the different strips - there are some super fabrics there, glimpses of cats, cupcakes, ponies, butterflies, flowers. Delightful! Well done Cathy - keep up the good work taming the 80s dusky pinks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 pretty finished quilts and 2 adorable aqua elephant blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree - there IS still something different about the weekends even when we're retired. I used to actually work on schoolwork (grading, planning) all day on Sunday. I have not missed that one bit! Now there's plenty of time for sewing. Your kids' quilts are always adorable. I love your strategy of making many of them in ling strips - lets lots of fun prints in while speeding up the piecing. Adorable elephants, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, weekends are for lazing, lolly-gagging and swanning about like a persian queen. Even on my best day I am not that organized! but I am learning, from you dear girl, things to improve upon so thank you! I have several birds in the offing and made a few spools, I should post some progress there but a little jacobean project has been calling me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow did you use up a lot of scraps this week! So many pretty quilts. Love the elephants most of all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those elephants are so cute. And adding the solid blocks to the jelly roll strips created a more interesting design. Love the flower you quilted in the aqua block. Your SAHRR is really looking good.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilts! My son was sitting next to me as I scrolled your post and he loves them all! The elephants caught his eye, and then he had fun telling me all the dinosaurs in the dino print and looking at all the different rows in the scrap quilt. Guaranteed to bring a smile to kids!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your quilt finishes, Cathy! Being a late-80's bride, peach and seafoam were my colors. I really like the scrappy kit you've got there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are making such great p[progress with your teals!! Love those elephants!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love aqua and teal....even some of that 80's seafoam and mint. Even in retirement (going on 8 years now) I am acutely aware of the days of the week...probably because I retired from the job but not from a schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the colours in your Round Robin quilt and now I'm looking forward to seeing what the next round might be. And of course those lelefonts are pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Luv the little elephant blocks they're just too cute!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!