|Two placemats - front|
|Two placemats - back|
|Two placemats - front|
|Two placemats - back|
It’s been freezing cold here in the valley. Below freezing actually, in the 20’s (F). We had an inch of snow one morning this week, but mostly it’s just been clear and cold. The highlight of the week was a coffee date to Barnes & Noble. Otherwise, it’s just been talking with family, grocery shopping, a mammogram, and a couple short, brisk walks in the neighborhood. And sewing. Always sewing. Oh, and always laundry, too - I call it the biggest ball and chain of the household.
But I got a lot of sewing done. Having a rotating color palette with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) helps, as does making lots of smaller quilts for Quilts for Kids. There’s plenty to show you.
I finished the cool-colored quilt made from last year’s RSC split nine-patch blocks. Like the Rainbow Candy warm-colored version I showed last week, this one finished at 42x48”. I don’t know why some colors have plain white backgrounds and others have low-volume white print backgrounds. I must’ve forgotten about those somewhere along the way! The backing was this aqua piece from my stash.
The second quilt I finished was a leftover from Red January. Several red scraps were combined with navy and white scraps, some from my stash and some from Quilts for Kids (QFK) to make this little quilt.
This one finished at 40x45”. I was able to work in more of those &*@% selvage half hexies. I’ve got plans for the rest of them as well throughout the year. Good riddance! That navy print fabric on the back? The date on the selvage is 1993. I’m sure many of you will recognize “the” rosebud print of that era!
I finished Round Three of my Stay at Home Round Tobin (SAHRR). My post about it, which includes the backstory on the design choices made, is here. This is the piece after Round Three.
After all that, it was time to move on to my RSC blocks for February. The color(s) this month are Aqua/teal/turquoise; basically the blue/green range. First up, two Antique Tile blocks that finish at 12”.
And then 10 Framed Four-Patch blocks that will finish at 8”.
I’ve started, and actually made good progress on, the two little quilts I hope to finish in the coming week. The first one is aqua and pink scraps centered (mostly) around this mermaid scrap.
This will be a quilt of Happy Blocks, but right now only the two in the top left are sewn. This should be a fun afternoon of chain piecing today or tomorrow.
Finally, I have a cute photo to show you which came to me from an extended family member. I hope your inner squirrel isn’t offended . . .
Aaaaaaaaand…. We’re OFF and running with Round 3 of the Stay at Home Round Robin!
This week, it was Roseanne at Home Sewn by Us who called the round’s theme. She called my old nemesis Wonky Stars. Last year Wendy called Wonky Stars. I tried, but couldn’t wonk. So I made friendship stars instead. This year, I tried again. I actually got two stars made! But let me back up just a bit
This is how my block/future quilt looked at the end of Round Two.
So when I read we were to do the Wonky Stars, I slept on it. I actually woke up in the middle of the night with a brilliant (to my sleepy mind) idea! I would first add a bright stop border of color, then do the wonky stars in black! I could not wait to get started.
The first star was pieced in a 5” (ish) square, which would be sewn into the border. Unimpressive. They’re shown here with last week’s equally unimpressive first attempt at diamonds. Maybe a lighter background color? But I really wanted to get the purple introduced before things got too far along. Larger stars?
By then, I knew Plan A was a bust, and I started just throwing ideas and colors up on the design wall.
That Kaffe fabric…. Yum. But not here, not now. But I rather like that (hand drawn and traced to fabric) starfish. Hey, STARfish! They’re wonky, right?!? And this was always going to be developed into a sea-feeling quilt. So I had my plan and just needed to experiment with fabrics and colors some more.
In the end, this is where I’m at after round three. The purple stop border is a bit wider on the top and bottom than it is on the sides. Coupled with the Kaffe fabric on the top and bottom, I was able to get wide enough borders for effectively-sized starfish AND convert the block back into a rectangle.
Regular readers may remember that Kaffe fabric from my Seahorse With No Name quilt from last year. I found another use for it here, and there is still some left over.
Anyway, the starfish were traced onto Heat ‘n Bond and steam pressed on. Then I machine zig-zagged around them to permanently secure them. I love them!! The quilt measures about 22.5” wide by 30.5” tall at this stage.
I’m linking up to the SAHRR at Roseanne’s blog. I hope you’ll drop by and visit all the creativity there!