This is the second month I’ve been working on this quilt becauseI didn’t finish it up in June. So, I’ll be linking up to the goal finishing link-up at Patty’s blog, Elm Street Quilts.
Piña finished at 62 x 82.5”. Except for the background (Kona White), the pineapples and their tops all came from scraps. I made one almost identical to this back in 2017, which you can see here, but my granddaughter Lauren claimed it. So, three years later, I have finally finished another one for me. It still has a wild pink pineapple in it, but in a different spot.
Here’s the back, which is a Kate Spain fabric from several years ago. I had enough to use it for the entire backing, with just one horizontal seam. The same fabric was used for the binding.
The print shows up better in the closeups below. I quilted a basic grid in the pineapples themselves, then a wavy line with circles around the white border.
In order to make the pineapples “dance” instead of march along in rows, I set them in a basic half-drop pattern. I had planned to try some ruler work in the six resulting white spacer squares (one for each column), but realized as I was quilting the outside border that there was no separation between the white border and the squares. Oops. Normally that wouldn’t have been an issue, but I had already quilted the first X in one of the squares without taking the border wavy line into consideration.
So, I did what I normally do - just fly by the seat of my pants (and it’s an ample seat, I must say) and quilt whatever I wanted to practice on. So there were some
squirrels swirls ...
And some random flourishes. And a few other things. Each square was different. It’s all good - I’m the one who’ll have to look at them and tsk tsk myself for not marking them first.
This will go into the laundry now, where I’m sure it’ll shrink a couple inches each way and get nice and crinkly soft.
I’ll be back tomorrow with my Saturday post and monthly recap.