Saturday, July 25, 2020

The Cat Days of Summer

We don’t do Dog Days of Summer here at Chez Kizerian because we have cats. Or, more accurately, they have us. Alfalfa and Darla, our dear Little Rascals, run a tight ship around here. In fact, I’m probably due for a reprimand for posting a blurry picture of Darla. Sorry ‘bout that!


So, we just stay indoors where it’s cool. Every other morning we venture out to the vegetable garden to pick what’s ripe. We just picked the last of the lettuce. Now we’re into yellow squash, green beans and carrots. Lots of carrots. Family and neighbors are getting our overages, although come fall we will find a cold place to store the remaining carrots and potatoes. For now, we are eating mainly stir-fry dinners and main dish salads. Once the tomatoes ripen, we’ll add (turkey) BLTs to the rotation. Tonight we’re going to Ryan’s house (my older son) to visit with the family and pawn off lots of carrots there, LOL. He’s making ham fried rice for dinner with a recipe he got from his Uncle Jeff (my former BIL) while visiting him last summer in Hawaii.  Ryan has turned into a very good cook and does most of the meal preparation for his family. It’s just him, Kim and Lauren, who is going into her junior year of high school. Their son Easton is attending college at Utah State U in Logan. When Easton graduates next year, he’s been officially accepted into the US Navy and their nuclear engineering program (on submarines). He’s excited. We’re proud, but glad it’s him and not us! LOL

Ok, so we’ve covered cats, vegetables and family, so let’s move on to the quilty progress, shall we? I’ll be linking up to Scrappy Saturday at Angela’s blog to share the dark blue things I’ve sewn this week.

I guess I should start off by updating last week’s lamentations about my sewing machine acting up while trying to quilt a friend’s table runner.  I had 95% of the quilting on the tablerunner completed when my machine stopped cooperating, skipping stitches. I cleaned it, put in a new needle, etc etc. After trying everything I could think of, I finally increased the needle size from a 12 to a 14. All the problems went away for the last two motifs I quilted. I don’t understand why everything was just fine until the finish line was in sight, but at least it’s done. Now the size 12 needle is back in the machine, and she is purring away. 

So, this week, I tackled my blue strings. I love sewing strings, which is probably why I make myself finish most of my other monthly blocks before playing with them. This month’s yield was 20 dark blue string blocks (6.5” unfinished).


Since I had plenty of African fabric in dark blues, I was able to sew up six more International Sisters blocks for the various wallhangings I’m making with these blocks. In fact, I’ll be putting together another 2-sided wall hanging in August for Harambe Humanitarian fundraising purposes. It will be the third of about 7-8 that I’ll eventually make. 


Sorry the picture seems so dark. I’m afraid if I increase the exposure any more, it will wash it out. My screens aren’t always accurate, and my iPhone and its operator (me, LOL) aren’t the best photographers. But you get the idea.

With those finished, I was able to move my remaining blue blocks from the Block Orphanage, as well as some interesting scraps, onto the design board.  Here we have the beginnings of the July blue Creature quilt.  I’m combining all my blues, light, bright and dark, into one quilt. 


I want to finish this by month end (one week!), so it will be pedal to the metal in the studio this week.  My first priority, however, is to finish Pineapples 2, which is my OMG (One Monthly Goal) for July. The quilt top is assembled, basted and in the process of being quilted. Once I’m done with the ditch quilting on it, It’ll probably do a cross-hatch in the pineapple squares and some other as-yet-undecided treatment in the larger white spacer squares.


Oh, and I do have a small finish to share this week. This is just a cute little panel quilt that I added borders to, then quilted up for Quilts for Kids. We were gifted several hundred panels at the end of last year, and we’re hoping to get through them to make donation quilts for kids in hospitals this year. Simple finishes are the name of the game.


The wavy bottom is because only the top portion is pinned to the design board; the last few inches just hang down. It’s square, I promise. My former quilt holder-upper is no longer available to hold up quilts since his arm was amputated. That means the “glamour” shots are anything but. But I digress.....  The quilt (unnamed) measures 38x53” and once again, will go to Quilts for Kids.

Let’s see, what else? Umm ... Oh! Zipper blocks!!  How could I forget?  Ten more this week.


I think I’m up to about 57 completed now. The finished size of the eventual quilt is undecided, but it will either be 60x72 (requiring 80 blocks) or 66x81” (99 blocks). I’m leaning toward the larger size because these are so fun. We’ll see.

One evening this week I got sidetracked by a request from Pattern Jam. I have a couple patterns there that are pretty popular. Now that Pattern Jam is under new ownership, they are trying to fix some of the back end (behind the scenes) issues, one of which was a faulty algorithm for calculating the fabric cutting requirements and directions for quilts.  So I had a request from the management to provide those for this quilt pattern for several people who had asked.


There are two blocks in this quilt, and each one appears 24 times for a total of 48 blocks. The faulty cutting instructions called for cutting 120 (REALLY??) 6.5” white background squares when only 24 were needed. And then it gave some yardage requirements for “quarter square triangles”. Wha’???? There ARE NO QST’s in this! So, I redid the yardage requirements and gave some basic directions. 

Now I want to go back and create a smaller version of this quilt based on 2.5” squares instead of the 3.5” squares of this version. Either way, it would be a fun and easy quilt to do for a patriotic quilt, or a Christmas quilt in different colors. Do you ever play with Pattern Jam? It’s a free website, and I’ve used it a lot to help me play with design. Plus there is a lot of eye candy and ideas for quilt layouts in their main “public” stream. 

That’s about it from here. Time to go quilt some pineapples! Have a great week, friends.

21 comments:

  1. I applaud your "mixed blues" quilt idea! The one thing about blues is that they all generally play well together, so the quilt will be fantastic. Love the string blocks, too, and I'm jealous of all your produce. Thank goodness we are near a farmer's market. Hope your former quilt holder-upper is coping well. Stay safe and cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a glorious array of quilts you are working on...;)))
    I especially love the blue strings ones--(I am also partial to strings...as you know;}}})
    I love the kitties posing for you *^-)))--so cute...
    Hot as blazes here--tomorrow they are predicting triple digits actual temps!! Yikes!!
    Sheltering at home here still...just grocery runs when necessary...stay safe and cool
    Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blue strings are just luscious, Cathy! A whole quilt of those, please! :) Garden question for you: my green beans have been producing nicely for several weeks, but now they've slowed way down, and I'm just getting a couple beans every few days. At some point do they completely stop, and I should just pull the plants out? Or do they get a "second wind" and start up again? I haven't grown them in years, so I don't remember!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried to grow carrots several times but I think our soil has too much clay. Maybe I should try growing some of those round varieties since I can grow radishes, beets and onions. Nice that you have a surplus to share.

    Those blue string blocks just sparkle. (Love)

    Glad Bernadette is moving along again. Hope you manage to get your pineapple quilt finished by the end of the month. If not, there's always next month!

    I've never heard of Pattern Jam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy reading your blog, such a lot going on at your home! I agree, cats think they are in charge, dont they. But they are such good company, and each one has it's different personality, that we put up with their funny ways. Our cat Gemma is currently snoozing in the sunshine at the base of our floor length windows making little snoring sounds, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Blue Creature quilt is going to be awesome! Glad your garden is doing well and you can share. Doesn’t everyone love fresh from the garden produce? They just taste soooo much better! DH had dental surgery on Thursday and they extracted 4 teeth instead of just three. He’s getting tired of milk shakes and smoothies! How can that be!? He’d love to be able to chomp carrots. Guess I could try a carrot smoothie! 😋

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m having sewing machine issues too...of the not turning it on variety. But all your progress has inspired me. Meanwhile, Molly thinks Darla is being naughty for making fun of Bessie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, those blue strings are absolutely gorgeous! But it's the zippers that are making my fingers twitch...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all your projects. Sometimes it is good to have a project to work on that does not have a deadline and is just fun. I have been thinking of making some zipper blocks. Love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. String blocks are really fun, aren't they? I just sewed a batch of my own yesterday in blues, darks and lights. Your Ladies are looking particularly stylish this month. Dark blue suits everyone, even cats. Although they really look best au naturel. With their fur, I mean. Those hairless ones always remind me of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Dignified, but a bit wrinkly. Please put your robe back on, Madam.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Creature at Midnight (Blue) has some really interesting components mixed in, Cathy. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Cathy! You are one of the most productive ladies I know! I just love seeing all the variety of things you are working on. Your International Sisters blocks are gorgeous! And the blues . . . yum! It is so much more fun having a variety of things to work on then just one project at a time. I couldn't do that. You my quilty sister, are fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great array of string blocks and I love the fussy cut flower in the Lady's dress. You're making good progress as always while I'm at a standstill because of the heat. Near 90 today, 90+ tomorrow. We've had way more 90 degree days than normal, but 2020 is definitely not normal, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please give my thanks to Darla and Alfie for their garden report! I'm living vicariously through everyone else's gardens, as ours has pretty much wrapped up for the year. Dear Hubby picked what should be the last of the jalapenos and banana peppers; I made him do the pickling this time around. The blue string blocks look great - just enough pops of stripes and other patterns to give the blocks some visual zing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Cathy! So glad everything is going well with the two of you. It sounds like you have carrots coming out of your ears, so to speak. I just LOVE that quilt for kids - all those animals riding in the windows of the bus! Someone is going to have so much fun with it and feel all of the love you've sewn into it. I have been getting emails from Pattern Jam, as well. I haven't visited the site in a while, but I sure do like your pattern! 120 - 6.5" background squares. HAHA! You just have to giggle at how off it was. Take care and stay safe. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  16. DEFINITELY love your pineapple blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to catch my breath after reading your post. Such wonderful projects -- love the blues your stash is producing this month.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your studio is a flurry of activity. So much beauty and joy in everything. I love the string blocks the most. Oh the sisters - I believe they love me even more :-) Wishing you good luck in quilting the pineapples. I am sure they will be sweeter and juicier (plumped up) once you are done with them :-D Big Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are one busy lady! Love the sapphire strings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works

    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via email address::{Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}

    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be use to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
    services, we are here for you anytime any day.

    Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD

    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
    email address:::::: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}
    Whatsapp:::::+31687835881

    #STAYSAFE

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm going to be very sad to see the end of the month come and a move away from the wonderful blues. I'm sure I've NEVER made mention of the fact that it's my favourite colour. Those blue strings simply make my heart sing.
    (btw - there's a comment on this post as well as on the previous one that are spam - hacking into A T M machines isn't too smart!)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!