Saturday, July 18, 2020

Slackin'

Since the pandemic hit in March, Bruce and I have a new thing going in the evening. Get your mind out of the gutter! The last one of us to put on our pajamas is the “slacker”. Yeah, I know it’s backwards thinking.  But at the time, there was no one to see and nowhere to go, so neither one of us wanted to be the slacker and keep our daytime clothes on when we could vegetate around the house in our comfy jammies. We took it to extremes, of course. There was one morning when I changed from my sleeping pajamas into my daytime pajamas and Bruce was the slacker for an entire day!

Now things are, well, not normal, but at least the weather is nice enough to go out in, and the grocery stores and other things are open. The new normal. We do venture out to doctor visits (still a lot of them for Bruce, but his quarterly chest CT scan was clear, so that is great news) and necessary errands. Sometimes we’re both slackers until early evening. 

Well, this week I felt like a real slacker with my sewing. Usually on Sundays I make myself a list of creative things to accomplish for the following week. I got just a bit more than half of it done. My first goal was to assemble the Pineapple quilt top and get it layered and basted.  I managed to get the top sewn, but that’s it.


Although I didn’t get it layered or basted, I did get the back sewn together too. I had a 5-yard piece of a pineapple print fabric from a Kate Spain older line, so one seam to sew and that was ready. Now, the first item on my list for the upcoming week is to finally get the top basted and then to quilt and bind it. Finishing it is my One Monthly Goal (OMG) for July. It’s looking as though I’ll make that goal well before month end. 

My second goal for the past week was to make a scrap basket out of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month for July, which is dark blue. I did get that done, completing it with blues from light to dark.


But I sewed sides to the bottom upside down, so the handle (the blue piece with orange flowers) is low down instead of higher up. Oh well. It works fine either way. The insides are a combination of the floral print and a squirrel print that Sally sent me. 


Speaking of Sally, her boss Molly Kitten wrote to me this week, threatening to obtain a Restraining Order on me. Apparently Molly had it “on so-so-authority” (her words) that I was encouraging her Staff (that would be Sally) to drive an hour and a half away (at least three hours round trip) to attend an estate sale of a late quilter and peruse the fabric. That absence would, of course, constitute Kitten Neglect. So, I guess either I have to start chastising Sally, or Sally is going to have to stop blabbing relating our conversations to her cat boss.

My third weekly goal was to sew up 8-10 new Zipper blocks. I got those done, of course, because making them is the most fun I have in any given week. (Don’t judge; there’s a pandemic going on!)


And in order to suck up to appease Molly Kitten, I made two blocks with fabric containing cats. 



I also got the borders sewn onto this panel quilt, even if I didn’t get it basted, which was my fourth goal. *Sigh*  So this project moves forward to the coming week for completion.


Besides all the errand-running and appointments this week, I had some work sewing to do. My son and daughter-in-law asked me to hem pants for them, so that took a couple hours. And then a friend asked me to quilt a table runner for her. Normally, that would not be a problem. However, Bernadette (my machine) is not loving the spray basting she used. At least I hope that’s the issue. It started skipping stitches when there were 2 floral motifs left to quilt. I tried re-threading the top and bobbin threads (which are good brands I always use), cleaned the machine, changed the needle (same size and brand I always use), and then tried the old standby - turning the machine off and then on again, LOL. I got one of the final two motifs quilted and then it started acting up again. I’ve sewn and unpicked the last motif three times. Then I sewed it the fourth time, and it skipped stitches again. So, my machine is in time out while I contemplate what to do next. I’ll start fresh today, unpicking and trying that last dang motif yet again. 

This coming week I’ll baste and quilt the two flimsies above, sew my dark blue strings into string blocks and make 8-10 more zipper blocks. If Bernadette cooperates, that is. And I may even be sewing while in my pajamas because we have no appointments next week. And if you’re in the neighborhood, do stop by and pick up some lettuce, spinach or peas from the garden!

18 comments:

  1. Love your blue scrap basket! And the pineapples continue to be sunny and happy, basted or not. As for jammies, remember house dresses? Those were basically daytime nightgowns. I say we bring them back! Especially now that it's 98 degrees out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    The Pineapple quilt is awesome...will be beautiful when
    finished...I'm 68 years old and don't go outside the house
    unless it's a drive up window...so I'm in my jammies most
    of the time...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that pineapple quilt! Just getting the top sewn together seems like an accomplishment to me! I think of what you call "jammies" as my "soft" clothes and, yes, we wear them most of the day here, too. That started back when I was working full-time - changed into my soft clothes as soon as I walked in the door after the workday! Have a good week getting the things on your list accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, good thing you wear pajamas! Without a/c here, well, it's almost a nudist colony most of the time.

    Congrats on getting the pineapple quilt top together. I like the addition of the pink pineapple.

    Zipping right along on those zippers.

    My machine completely froze up in March just as everything closed down. I finally got it fixed at beginning of June and there sure were lots of things wrong with it. Good thing I have a couple of old backups - a Janome with tension problems and my trusty Kenmore if all else fails. Now that I have my machine back I set up one with a quilt to be quilted and the other so I can piece if it's way too hot to quilt much. Good luck with Bernadette.

    Got too hot for our spinach and lettuce and mustard greens so we harvested all and put in plastic bags in refrig. We still have a few snap peas. They are so behind because the deer kept nipping at them but it's getting too hot for them now too. Harvesting beans and a few cucumbers now. Seems like I'm having a problem with getting the squash, zucchini and melons pollinated. May have to do that by hand one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your jammie saga! “ Giggle” Wish I was close enough to help harvest your spinach, lettuce, and peas! I’ve just got my fingers crossed for a couple of tomatoes, so we can have BLTs once or twice before summer is over. Hope Bernadette is “over her mad”, and you can get that table runner completed! Fingers crossed!
    Have a great lazy jammie filled week! DH has dental surgery scheduled on Thursday, so I have to get dressed that day, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to create fun during Covid. My husband and I try to do a daily walk and there are SO many different circular walks we can create starting from our house. On Day One of Lockdown I said we should take it in turns to be the leader and we should try to create a different walk everyday. We have, and have hardly done the same route during all of these weeks. Good exercise for the little grey cells too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your panel quilt reminds me of the Magic School Bus books, which I loved reading out loud with my kids. Of course, I was always humming "too much, magic bus" to myself! Have a great week with all your projects and enjoying your jammies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, since my 'jammies' are sweat pants and a t shirt, I can get away with lingering in 'jammies' all day long...
    As always, I love those zippers! And that pink pineapple in the middle of the pineapple patch cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doesn’t putting on pajamas imply taking them off? I also have my knickers in a twist because I’m not allowed to go in the grocery store without my knickers. Maybe I’ve been spending too much time with cats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've become early "jimmie-jammie-ers" too around here...;)))
    Love your pineapple quilt--the pink one just makes it sing...it's marching to the beat of a different drummer that pink one;))) makes me smile...
    Glad all is going well
    ~ ~ ~ waving from under my sun-brella Julierose~ ~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would hardly call you a slacker quilt-wise with what you produced this week. I did nothing but sew a little bit of binding down on a table runner. Way too hot to sew anything else. Have you checked the tension discs on your machine? A bit of lint or thread in there can mess up your stitches although it's usually lint in the bobbin that creates the problem. I get dressed and put on earrings every morning just to pretend things are semi-normal. Doesn't really work but it's a habit.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cathy! So glad to read that Bruce is doing well and his appointments are ongoing with continued good news. I adore Molly Kitten and read her latest just before popping over here. I'm not a fan of wearing jammies so I would constantly win the slacker award. I only change moments before retiring. I guess I'm missing out! Good luck with your projects for the week. I just love the pineapple quilt and how it has come together. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would LOVE to stop by for some produce from your garden, alas being "in the neighborhood" is not likely! :o((
    You did a great job on last week's goal list. At least, from my perspective! Best of luck with this week's list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those pineapples! The one pink pineapple is brilliant, I love how it stands out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the pineapples, and I’m looking forward to seeing the themed backing. Pajamas. Yeah, it’s come to that. Your competition is hilarious. I’m to the point that I can wear the same top two days in a row since the pjs don’t get changed until half the day is gone anyway. I like the idea of daytime pjs. Those zipper blocks do look fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you're right about the spray baste. I've noticed that my machine skips stitches in areas where the spray is thicker and stickier. I'm amazed that you can still set yourself some goals. All that has gone out the window, um, portlight, for me. Now it's just, "Did I do ANYTHING today? Good!" If the boat is still pointy side down, we're doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So you listened to the felines and did not go to the estate sale? Fortitude. The pink pineapple is a great addition to the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well....ahem.....(in reference to your statement that you only accomplished half of your goals for the week)...perhaps, just perhaps, if you hadn't spent so much time changing in and out of your jammies.....
    (sorry, couldn't resist that one!).

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!