Friday, July 31, 2020

Finished - OMG for July

I finished my OMG (One Monthly Goal) for July a couple days ago, but I’ve been waiting for a good time to get an outdoors photo of it. We had an early morning appointment today at the occupational therapist for Bruce, so since we were ready early, we took advantage of the early morning softer light and grabbed a few photos. I’m the quilt holder-upper and Bruce snapped the pictures.  Here is Pineapples II, or as I prefer to call it, Piña . 

This is the second month I’ve been working on this quilt becauseI didn’t finish it up in June. So, I’ll be linking up to the goal finishing link-up at Patty’s blog, Elm Street Quilts

Piña  finished at 62 x 82.5”.  Except for the background (Kona White), the pineapples and their tops all came from scraps.  I made one almost identical to this back in 2017, which you can see here, but my granddaughter Lauren claimed it. So, three years later, I have finally finished another one for me. It still has a wild pink pineapple in it, but in a different spot. 


Here’s the back, which is a Kate Spain fabric from several years ago. I had enough to use it for the entire backing, with just one horizontal seam. The same fabric was used for the binding.


The print shows up better in the closeups below.   I quilted a basic grid in the pineapples themselves, then a wavy line with circles around the white border.


In order to make the pineapples “dance” instead of march along in rows, I set them in a basic half-drop pattern. I had planned to try some ruler work in the six resulting white spacer squares (one for each column), but realized as I was quilting the outside border that there was no separation between the white border and the squares. Oops. Normally that wouldn’t have been an issue, but I had already quilted the first X in one of the squares without taking the border wavy line into consideration.

So, I did what I normally do - just fly by the seat of my pants (and it’s an ample seat, I must say) and quilt whatever I wanted to practice on. So there were some squirrels swirls ... 


And some random flourishes. And a few other things. Each square was different. It’s all good - I’m the one who’ll have to look at them and tsk tsk myself for not marking them first.


This will go into the laundry now, where I’m sure it’ll shrink a couple inches each way and get nice and crinkly soft. 

I’ll be back tomorrow with my Saturday post and monthly recap. 





8 comments:

  1. What a great finish you've accomplished--congrats on a beautiful quilt...;)))
    I love this one...so bright and cheerful--just what we need during this dark time...
    Hugs from afar, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve admired your pineapple quilt all along. I just may put one one my to do list! I’d have to start collecting yellow , though. I don’t think I could make 6, let alone 23, a fun goal to set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that wavy line with the double circles. I'll have to try that sometime. I always have a hard time deciding on quilting motifs and fall back on loops and hearts and daisy-like flowers. 🌼🌸🌺🍍💛💚 pate (at) gmail dot com
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. And another beautiful quilt makes it to the finish line! (the crowd roars!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the wild pink 'apple. Pinkapple? This is such a fun and fabulous finish, Cathy! You'll enjoy it for years and years to come, as it gets progressively softer and more covered with cat fur. It's every quilt's dream destiny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I especially like the wild pink pineapple! Such a great scrap quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've answered a question I've wondered about - whether people wash their quilts after they're done. Obviously I'm not sane quilter so have no clue about these things! I remember your first pineapple quilt and I wonder if you'll get to keep this one or will someone claim it?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!