On my black and pink (etc) CQ project, the front is all completely stitched together. I had a backing and batting, which I finally realized was WHITE and totally inappropriate for the inside of this wallhanging-to-be. I don’t need much loft, just stability and the assurance that the inside will not beard through the needlepoint. Also, I didn’t want to order an entire batt or a complete roll of black, so I went off to my LQS and compared options. My choices were a lightweight generic black batting (90 inches wide), fusible Pellon 911F interfacing, black knit interfacing or black felt. I chose the black felt and got 1.25 yards. The facings were both too lightweight, and the batting would’ve had so much waste (and I don`t see myself using the leftovers in another small project in this lifetime).
So now I can begin construction. I am tempted to make my quilt sandwich and quilt between the squares and around the needlepoint. Then I can add a few embellishments over the seams on the top, bind it, add a sleeve and be done. I may finish this by the end of the month. If not, then next week for sure.
This next project, the Brucie’s Blue Banjos (or whatever we end up calling it; right now I’m calling it 4-letter words....) is where the One Step Backward comes in. And that rightly should be several steps backward.
I had 6 rows of 8 sewn together, then began my sewing session yesterday by pressing the top. It was puckered, and I stopped to figure out why. It turns out that in my last two rows, my sashing strips were 2.5 instead of 2.0 inches wide. I had to rip out 2 rows of fat geese plus three sashing strips AND every sashing piece between the geese.
|BSR (Before Seam Ripper)|
And now it all sits innocently next to my sewing machine, waiting to be re-sewn. Those strips there will go into my scrap bin where they belong.
Farm Girl Fridays - this week’s blocks!
These were the blocks assigned in our sew-along last Friday, and I have finished them in anticipation of the two new ones tomorrow. I had a BALL with these blocks - choosing the fabrics, cutting and sewing. They all came together delightfully. These are from Lori Holt (of Bee in my Bonnet)’s new book Farm Girl Vintage. It is packed with great blocks, ideas, patterns, etc.
|Chicken Foot Block|
|Canning Season Block|
And speaking of local fabric celebrities, Joel Dewberry has invited us members of the Salt Lake Modern Quilting Guild to his home tomorrow for a fabric buy. I cannot even tell you how cheap the fabrics are going to be, (not quite as cheap as the bolt of Riley Blake fabric I found in the thrift store last month), but hey! I can’t wait to pick up more Notting Hill in tangerine to finish the quilt blocks I started a couple years ago. I actually have plenty of that fabric, but that is my excuse and I’m sticking to it!
That’s it for now. I will probably have a post on Saturday for Scrap Happy Saturday; three wonky green log cabins made.
See you soon,