Saturday, January 29, 2022

Red Roundup

We’re just about ready to turn the calendar page over to February and a new color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC).  It was a busy sewing week in my studio, although the rest of the week was quiet and uneventful. Bruce and I have finally beaten back our respective colds. Whew - we should’ve had stock in some tissue manufacturer!

Without further ado, let’s get started with what came out from under the needle. Last Saturday I attended my Quilts for Kids workshop and sewed up the warm colored blocks of split nine-patches that were one of my projects for last year’s RSC. Later in the week I quilted and bound it, and I’m pleased to show you this very cheerful quilt, Rainbow Candy.

I LOVE this little quilt! It finished at 42x48” and was quilted with small loops on vines. It was a total delight from start to finish. I still have some older cute Tamara Kate dragonfly yardage, and it was perfect for the backing. 

And there is still a yard of that cute print left for me to fondle use in something else! Then I used the cool-colored split nine blocks to lay out the other quilt, which I’ll finish up in the next week. These blocks are just slapped up wonkily on the design wall.

I did work on my Ribbons quilt on Sunday, and got the inner portion finished. Here it is just pinned over other blocks on the design board. It hasn’t been pressed or trimmed yet because I totally forgot to do that before grabbing a last-minute progress shot.

Hopefully, I’ll have time this next week to trim, add the inner stop border and begin the Seminole-pieced second border. As this is a personal quilt, I don’t feel any pressure to get it done in Red January. But it would be nice to finish it as a Valentine gift for myself!

Now let’s talk about the red sewing I did get done this week. 

I finally came up with a small workable plan for bear paw blocks, so I pieced just one at 12.5” and one at 6.5”. As we get to other colors I may do more or less of each size. but that was the only 12” block I could get out of my scraps because the center square was 8.5” and that’s all I had. Cutting into yardage was not an option! The tumblers were made from my Ruby Red Mt. Scrapmore, plus some chunks. I alternated whole tumblers with crumb-pieced tumblers to make two rows - one dark reds and the other bright reds. 

My last foray into the red scraps meant dealing with some of the strings. Here are 13 blocks at 6.5”. *sigh* I can’t help it. I think of one-colored string blocks as a basic to have when working with all the QFK remnants and scraps. 

They look a bit stiff because I haven’t removed the papers yet. 

I tried to do my usual collage of red blocks, but Befunky (my collage site - any recommendations for a better one?) started acting up. I did get a collage made of my red “Before and After” photos from the beginning of the month through today. 

That was a lot more work than it looks like! 

In addition to joining Scrappy Saturday at Angela’s blog, I’ll be joining Joy for the January Table Scraps parade. Here are the four placemats I made this week in red. They each measure 12x18” and are made from crumbs.

And if you didn’t see my mid-week blogpost about the progress on my Stay at Home Round Robin quilt, check out my last post. Here it is after adding diamonds this week. The SAHRR linky party is at Emily’s blog this week and there are some really fun things going on!


And now I’m going to put the red scraps away and wait for Angela to announce February’s scrap color. I can’t wait!




18 comments:

  1. So many great red blocks! And Rainbow Candy is quite a delight. Great month of reds, looking forward to some cooler colors in February

    ReplyDelete
  2. The split 9-patch block sure lends itself to some interesting layouts. That top quilt is really pretty! Your SAHRR has the perfect colors for February!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your split 9-patches. I think I need to make some of them next year. :) I love the warm & cool quilts you ended up with because they are so versatile. And your SAHRR looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the 2 split 9-patches lay-outs and of course the Crumbs placemats, Cathy. Red quilt is also lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your arrangement for the Hot colours Split 9 patch quilt. The blocks really jump out and demand attention. The Cool Colours is also coming along really well, such a different setting of the blocks. I love your Crumby Red placemats. For you to keep I hope, what a cheerful table that would make. Not heard of Befunky so I’m intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, a delightful post! Rainbow Candy is especially yummy! Will you leave the cool split 9-patches on he diagonal or hasn’t it been decided yet? I need to just sew string blocks till I’ve depleted my scrap basket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rainbow Candy is SEW fun!! You made good progress with your RED scraps, Cathy. Thanks for linking up with the 2022 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge! Your placemats were a great use of your Crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your table crumb placemats are beautiful! I love the split nine patches - so great in the warm colors and then those cool colors just sing - maybe because they are my favorites? Glad you are feeling better.... I too wish I had stock in Kleenex!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of fun with all colors of the rainbow at your house, Cathy! The split 9 patch quilts are beautiful - I love that block. Love the red placemats, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that Rainbow Candy! Such fun colors! You have beautiful projects in process!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I love the Rainbow Candy in warm colors. They look like flowers to me. I want to make one. I think I will use a bit bigger blocks though as I like to finish fast and such small blocks would take me months! I look forward to your post each week, I really like all the bright colors. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rainbow Candy looks great. I don't think I've seen that layout for split nine patches before. Almost makes me want to start another RSC project, but I think I should stick to 2 and crumbs.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those twisty split 9-patches certainly teach that old dog some new tricks! Now we're on to teal and aqua!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every time I see your quilts and blocks I change my mind about my favorite color! You make them all look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Cathy! I had to giggle when I read that you learned more than you ever wanted to know about diamonds. HAHA! AND, I LOVE the idea of having a crumb round. I'm not exactly sure how to describe that or even how to do it, but I'm definitely going to make a mental note for next year. Just think of all the creative and different rounds we would see with that prompt!! Thanks so much for participating - I love how your piece is coming together so far. You'll get it back to a rectangle in no time - I'm certain of it. I am having to rework my center right now - we were asked to make something for my great-niece, so of course we are!! {{Hugs}} a bunch. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  16. The colors in the Rainbow Candy quilt are just wonderful - very happy! There can never be too many string blocks. My current string project is at our camp and I haven't been there in weeks. I'd start something at home, but then I'd never get anything else accomplished (aren't they kinda like doing jigsaw puzzles?). Re photo collage programs: I use one called CollageIt. I think it might be specifically designed for Macs, but it's been awhile since I installed it. It's one of those apps with free basic stuff, and more stuff available if you pay. I just use the free version.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like all your projects! I did take your split-nine-patch idea and made two blocks in red. I think I have another RSC block!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What fun to see all the red projects you've accomplished. I thought I preferred the first quilt in your photos and then I saw the Ribbons design and I like it even more.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!