Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Adding Curves to the Round Robin Block

This week, our weekly hostess Anja called CURVES for the first round of our Stay at Home Round Robin (SAHRR). As long as it was curved - free-form, Drunkard’s Path, orange peel shapes - it was “on the table”. Decisions, decisions!

I have the Quick Curves rulers (regular and mini) as well as a drunkard’s path die set for my Accuquilt cutter. I decided to go with the latter. 

Here is my center block, “before”


I added a little black border around it first. I needed to stabilize this old block and see if I could preserve the points (about 95% successful!). Then I added curves to the top and bottom only to begin the transformation to a rectangle shape. 


It measures about 14x20” at this point, which I’m worried is a bit large for this stage of the round robin. I may take out the top and bottom 1” strips between the center block and the curves. We’ll see. I definitely do need to get more Kona black. I’ll be continuing with bright greens, aquas, blues and maybe even purple - and I have plenty of those to choose from. 

Join is HERE to see everyone’s progress so far!

9 comments:

  1. That's going to be fun, Cathy! I love your black background with the bright blues and greens, and your curves are a good addition. I think I need to get those Quick Curves rulers if I ever want to make Drunkard's Path blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The black background fabric is perfect for those underwater-looking greens & blues! What size quilt are you hoping to end up with? I'm not sure I'd change anything - just make your next "round" be something added to the sides of the quilt? Skinny seaweed fronds?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I like this! It looks like fancy curved windows at the top of a door or something similar. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute!! If you grow your quilt two sides at a time, it won't/might not get too big, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! The size seems just right to me. Mine is already 22 inches square, so I'm sure you'll be fine. That blue is a great accent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your curved border works really well. I think the size will be fine, but you can decide that for yourself. I do love that green!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your interpretation of the curves border prompt. Your block plus border is eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo I like the black, green, and blues! Yes purple would work too. The curves look great!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!