Saturday, January 6, 2024

Aaaaand… We’re Off and Running!

It feels as though winter has just begun post-Holidays. We have had cold and snow this week, which is most welcome in January in a winter sports state such as Utah. And while Bruce and I stay warm and cozy indoors (because we’re old and we’re wusses), we can still accomplish things like sewing and decluttering. I do the former, Bruce does the latter - to atone for a couple decades of collecting and near-hoarding! Hehehe.

So let’s get started! This month’s color range for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is dark and bright greens. I started my week by sewing three Color Stix blocks (designed by Cynthia Brunz of Quilting is More Fun Than Housework) (was there ever a better blog title than that?)


I intend to make a quilt out of these blocks at year end and donate it to her Compassion Quilts charity. The free pattern for this simple and fun block is HERE

Last week I talked about my goal to begin sewing up the 35+ quilt kits I have assembled from scraps given to me over the last several years. This week I have pictures to show, including the kits whose numbers I drew for January and their progress so far. 

This photo shows a sampling of kits, which may contain related OR unrelated fabrics in a certain theme or color, and varying amounts of fabric. The scraps are like seeds or idea starters. If I need to add more scraps to them to make a quilt, or return leftovers to the scrap bins, well, it’s all good. 


The numbers I drew for January were 4, 19 and 26. Here are the kits. 

Kit #4


Kit #19

The third and final kit, #26, was just a bunch of 2.5” strips by width-of-fabric (WOF). I wasted no time in getting them up on the design board, and sewing them up. I had to add a few additional WOF strips to get a good length. The finished top is on the right below. 


Obviously, I’m taking the easy way out on this one, design-wise. But it’s January and there are 12 long months ahead to sew several kits per month, so I don’t apologize. When the scraps dictate an easy way, I’ll follow it. 

The next kit I tackled, #4, already had 30 of the small star blocks sewn at 6.5”. Only one of the large stars were sewn, but all of the gray background pieces were cut, and there were scraps of the small single-colored chevron prints AND yardage of both the small and large multi-colored Chevron prints. 

I used some of the gray cuts to add a bar under or over each star block, then set them to dance (alternate by column). 


By last night, I had it to this stage:


The columns are sewn into pairs, but the three pairs still need their joining seams sewn, which is why it looks a bit wonky. It is currently about 48” long, which is a good length, but it will only be 36” wide unless I add a border. I’m playing with these 2.5x5” colorful strips along the side, but there aren’t enough for the top and bottom, so I think it looks odd. And even if there were enough, the zigzags would end up in the wrong direction on the top and bottom. So I’m mulling and puzzling what to do. Any ideas?

My friend Ruby gave me an amaryllis bulb for Thanksgiving. It’s the first amaryllis I’ve ever had, so it’s been exciting to watch it grow and bloom.  This picture shows only three blooms, but it has four now. 


We have officially listed the house for sale, but our agent is only doing some pre-marketing now (to other agents and brokers). We won’t go “live” on the Multiple Listing Service until after Valentines Day at our request. We still need that extra month to shuffle furniture, buy a few inexpensive colorful items -  couch cushions, maybe a couple small bedspreads as we separate our California King bed into two XL twin beds in different bedrooms - and to get the outdoor junk pile hauled off. No, I’m not going to make quilts or cushions myself. No time. I want to stage the house in a more generic and less “folksy” manner. And this last bit is exciting only to a prospective home seller or buyer: We remodeled the three bathrooms a little over 10 years ago. At that time, the only things that weren’t replaced were the toilets. And they were original to this house built in 1963. So, last week we replaced them with brand new, low-water use models. Now everything looks sleek, modern and well kept. *sighs happily*. Oh, and I also need to touch up the paint on some baseboards and small areas here and there. That is a project that begins next week. Have a great week!





15 comments:

  1. Selling a house is such a chore. Here's hoping it goes smoothly and you don't have to do too much more work to get it ready. The jelly roll quilt was a perfect thing to do with those strips. I love the dancing stars layout, too. For the width, so you have any of the gray left? You could put a wider gray border between the chevrons and the quilt center and it would look great. Or you could do the same with another solid. I know it will look great no matter what! Welcome to 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pinwheels as they are with just the Side rails and no header or footer, I think it looks whimsical that way. I Hope that's not all in a day, I'm exhausted just reading that!
    How do you get everything done? You my friend are a dynamo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 36" x 48" is already a good shape to cover a small body which is taller than it is wide. Is it a requirement to have it wider than 36" ? It will look great with a chevron binding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those color stix blocks are so simple, yet stunning. A great way to use and show off your scraps. Working on quilt kits is the perfect pick up and pack away project when you are in the midst of selling your house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to pick 3 kits per month to work on. The WOF strips make such an effective quilt top and I love the Dancing Stars one! I’m assuming the little star blocks were donated to you? Good luck with the selling and buying of your home. You have both invested such a lot of time and effort in setting up your home and now in decluttering and reducing it ready to portray it for selling. Happy New Year and Good Luck!🍀

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm in love with those chevron stars! Moving is rarely fun and downsizing -- sheesh! I'm already thinking about what we can get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on getting ready for the move: so stressful and exciting at the same time. Decluttering is in my future as well. But I love your hexi stars our of zig zags: really pops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great progress on your quilt kits. The zig zag sashing just on the sides looks fine to me. Sometimes finished is better than perfect. Good luck getting the house ready to sell. So much work! Always nice to have everything sparkling at the same time though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. With all you produce, I doubt anyone would ever accuse you of taking the easy way out. Besides, who cares? It's your project and you can do whatever you want with it. And the border on just two sides works fine. Do what you need to do to move it along. I've been working on getting rid of my husband's political campaign memorabilia for two years and I'm not anywhere near the end of it. Can't imagine trying to get my house ready for sale. Not that I'm even considering it. Good luck with the sale and moving process. I bet the house goes fast. Any luck yet finding something new that meets your needs?
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Selling a house is so much work. Hope it all goes smoothly for you. That star quilt is amazing! And you look so well organized with all those kits put together and even numbered.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cathy! How about interspersing some of the gray background between the side zig zags? Then you can cut the existing rectangles into squares and continue around the whole quilt? You've got some fun kits pictured - it will be fun to see you work on them as their number is called. Man, your amaryllis is gorgeous! What a nice pop of color to brighten up these dreary January days. Good luck with the "soft listing". I wouldn't be surprised if it sold before it hits the MLS. At least here, houses barely are listed for a day and they're snapped up in spite of the high interest rates. I hope the same smooth process for you. {{Hugs}} a bunch! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, those chevron stars are gorgeous. So is your fourple amaryllis! 35 kits from what you had on hand? Do you have patterns or designs or will you wait and let the muse guide you?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admire your gumption! Making a new set of blocks, sewing up Quilts for Kids, and selling your home! You are awesome. Speaking of awesome , gorgeous amaryllis! My sister always used to gift me one or more at Thanksgiving. They are wonderful. I had the same thought as Roseanne about your chevron Star quilt. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The chevron stars are quite "moving". I bought yardage of that when it came out. I couldn't think of anything more exciting than the Suckers pattern they provided. Mine has all different size stripes. Really like this idea. I will go back to my Applique now.
    Love the amaryllis. How are the cats doing?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!