Saturday, January 20, 2024

Frozen in Place

This week has been a bit of a low-key crawl through days. Cold, rain, snow, ice, wind. Cousin Carrie, who was diagnosed in the early autumn with pancreatic and liver cancer lost her battle with cancer on Monday night. That pretty much set the tone for the week (along with Mother Nature). We’re all still trying to take it in. This afternoon there will be a family pot luck gathering at her daughter Jenny’s house where we can all come together and just be with each other. 

So this week’s accomplishments are limited. On Monday during the day (before we learned of Carrie’s last hours), I ran around buying paint and new welcome mats, visiting the pet store (new litter box for the cats), going home store shopping for decorator accent pieces and cushions for staging the house, and going to Costco to get gas for the car and buying a case of tissues for Bruce’s never-ending cold. Or whatever it is. He went to Instacare yesterday and they were stumped. *sigh*

On Tuesday, I sewed and did laundry and vegetated. On Wednesday, Cousin Kim (Carrie’s sister) and I met up, went to a coffee shop and drank coffee and talked all morning. I took her home (her car was getting serviced) and came home from her place with lots of new empty boxes for future packing…

On Thursday I deep cleaned some rooms of the house - in preparation for moving around some furniture - and some sewing. Yesterday (Friday) was grocery shopping and lots of paperwork. 

So, I’ll show you what little I have. 

I sewed three more blocks for the Anne quilt I’m making for a friend. Now I have five done of twenty needed. I had intended to have at least 10 done this week, but oh well.  At least there’s lots of green in the blocks, so I can link up to Scrappy Saturday

And I worked on Scrap Kit #19, pictured here to refresh your memory. 

The pieces that were already precut in this kit (presumably leftovers from someone’s quilt) pretty much dictated what this would become. Here is the finished 42x54” top. 

I added in a few squares of blue and brown shirting pieces and the navy polka dot. The plan for the coming week is now to baste this and the green strings quilt top shown last week. 

And in case you didn’t see it, I am participating in this year’s Stay at Home Round Robin (SAHRR). For the next six weeks or so I’ll have a mid-week post about my weekly progress on that as I follow along with the prompts and link up to the SAHRR linky party. 

My starting block, an orphan given to me from a donation to Quilts for Kids, is 12.5” and will be a great colorful start to a hopefully-fun kid quilt!

And that’s it, my friends! Do take extra care if you’re having to go out in the nasty weather that’s plaguing most of the country. Thanks for dropping by!




13 comments:

  1. sorry you have had a loss in the family - in this case expected but always with mixed emotions, glad the suffering is over but sad because she will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences on your family's loss. It seems that funerals and weddings become the only time extended families can get together lately. At least for us. Love that center block for your SAHRR. The very middle has so many fun colors that will give you lots of options adding each week's prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sorry to hear of the loss of your cousin Carrie. A difficult time for your family, not helped by harsh winter weather. Pleased you managed to find a little time for sewing, I’m sure you found that therapeutic. Love the donation block you are using as the centre of your Round Robin quilt. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My condolences for your loss, expected or not the loss of close family is rough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about the loss of your cousin, Cathy! Hugs to both you and Cousin Kim - we all feel like we know her from your blog. The Anne blocks are pretty, and so is the blue and brown kit quilt. Considering that you're getting ready to put the house up for sale, I think you got a lot done this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. May many happy memories of Carrie provide comfort and smiles to you and to all who loved and were loved by her. ... Meanwhile, isn't it interesting how an impending move spurs action and purchases you wouldn't have otherwise been able to justify? SAHRR is calling me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear of Cousin Carrie's passing. While inevitable, it's a shock when the end comes so soon. I'm glad you are there for Cousin Kim (and she for you). May you both find peace in sharing your memories.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many condolence on the loss of your cousin, such some for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sympathy on the loss of your cousin Carrie. Not an easy time. No doubt you will miss her. The fabric used in the Anne quilt, especially the featured one seem most appropriate for the difficult time you are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear of your loss--it is sad when a loved one goes before you...
    Take care and i hope your memories of the good times together will warm your heart...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish there was a better word than “sorry”. It doesn’t seem enough. I hope good memories will get the family through the coming days. And you already know that sewing, or creating something helps. Hugs to all!
    You know I’m a fan of your kit quilt..you have such a gift! I hope your weather improves. Today was warmer and a bit sunny here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry about your cousin. It seems to be the week for losses because my uncle (albeit 92 years old) passed of covid. Good thing we have our sewing to occupy our minds so we don't dwell on the sadness. Take care of you - stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry for your loss. (((Hugs))) Pretty blocks for Anne's quilt. Love your scrap quilt #19 fabrics, the top turned out great. Fun center block for the SAHRR.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!