Saturday, December 30, 2023

Year End Recap and 2024 Plans

I can’t believe we’ve arrived at the last weekend of 2023. What a year of ups, downs and changes! And so much to look forward to in the new year! There’s a lot of stuff to cover in this post, so I’m going to just dig right in.

This year I was not as productive, quilt-wise, as I have been in the past. I finished 33 quilts, which is the least I’ve made since 2019. But I did work on a lot of “community” (several-person effort) quilts; basting, quilting and binding 11 of those. And that reminds me that I need to update my Quilts pages under the blog heading pictures. Of those quilts that I made, the following three are my favorites.

Frosted Windowpanes donation string quilt. 42x48”.

International Sisters, 56x70”

Christmas Stars, 88x98”

This past week I did finish up the two quilts I had basted earlier. These finished up just in time to be counted for 2023. Both were made from Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) blocks. 


Above we have the Thrifty Block quilt using navy blue as the constant. It finished at approximately 54x64”. I did some straight line and loopy quilting on it, but I didn’t take any closeups. The little Framed 4-Patch below is a donation quilt that finished at 40x48. 


I have lots more blocks and UFOs to carry over into 2024, but before I get to my plan, let me show you the string blocks I finished this week.  Two piles of fifteen each and then three extra blocks on the right. That was a total of 33 blocks.


When I added the 33 blocks to the pile I started on October 1, it came out to 418 blocks! My goal was to sew 400 string blocks in the fourth quarter of the year, and I did it! The string bag isn’t totally empty, but it is very low and anemic! YAY!!  So, wanna see what 400+ string blocks look like?


The stack is about 11” high, with the few odd blocks in the foreground. WHEW!!! Cool, huh? Except for some of the light neutral string blocks, they’re all going to Quilts for Kids for quilt kits.

My Bernina, “Nina”, is in the shop for her first annual Spa Treatment. I had intended to get all my batting scraps sewn into Frankenbatts, and that is well underway, but I didn’t finish them up. I still have five donated quilt tops that I need to sandwich up, so I’ve been sewing backings and making Frankenbatts specifically for each of them. I have 3 ½ done. Once they’re finished (later today), I’ll just sew the rest of the batting pieces into standard sizes I use a lot. I may get another three or four out of it all. That’s not as bad as last year, because I did occasionally made a Frankenbatt here and there during the year. 

After Thanksgiving, Cousin Kim and I took inventory of my scraps and “kits” that I had assembled into two cardboard boxes. Over the last couple years I would match up a kit or two with the RSC color of the month and make a donation quilt. Well, that had slacked off toward the end of the year, so I needed a new plan. Kim and I numbered each “kit”, which is just a large baggie-ful of scraps, chunks and small yardage cuts. Sometimes we combined two into one or just added more stuff. The result blew me away. There were   39 or 40 kits! I had planned to try to sew 2 kits into quilts per month, but I’m going to amp that up to 3 per month! I’ll write out the numbers on scraps of paper, put them in a jar, and randomly pick out three per month. That all starts next month. Um, I mean next week. I’ll take a picture of the whole mess (now very well organized). 

To squeeze the kit sewing in (to say nothing of the RSC finishes and personal quilts) it means I’ll be doing fewer new RSC blocks in the new year. But “fewer” means maybe 3-4 simple blocks instead of 6-8 more involved.  

And on top of all that, we’re continuing the purge and declutter process, even with the holidays in full swing. We didn’t have time to take a load of junk treasure to the thrift store last week because of the short week. It’ll be the same story in the coming week. But then we really get busy! We’re listing the house in less than 6 weeks!

Have a Happy and Safe New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day! We’ll probably stay up until midnight and then crawl into beddie-bye. We’re such party animals. 

13 comments:

  1. I'm astonished at how many quilts you complete... And quilt blocks you've made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing - you must be in your sewing room from dawn to dusk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing your “kit” stash! I am especially partial to the blue string quilt! It is inspiring me to get out the plastic shoebox of “ fall themed” string blocks and get
    going! I think I’ll do split 9 patches and zipper blocks for RSC, in addition to finishing some more UFO! (See fall strings blocks mentioned above)👆😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Thrifty Block quilt and am already picturing it for a Quilt of Valor. Great plan for the new year. I try to pull out a kit each month to work on along with trying to finish a UFO. And of course I get distracted by all the fun RSC sewing too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do an amazing amount of sewing in a year! Yay for reaching the 400+ goal on the string blocks for the 4th quarter!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ummm - the year wasn't as productive? Surely you jest!! 418 string blocks would have been enough for any normal person, to say nothing of all the rest you did. You amaze me! Not only on the quilting front, but also all you've managed to downsize in prep for the move (have you found a new place yet?).
    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think 33 quilts is a pretty amazing amount to finish, Cathy! That's lots of quilty love that you're responsible for. Sounds like you're doing great with the purging and decluttering, too. We won't even make it up to midnight, but I know 2024 will come no matter what time I go to bed, lol! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Cathy, what a great year! Combine the quilts with your personal progress this year and you've done amazing. I can't believe your string bin isn't completely empty, and I love all the quilts. The red stars quilt is stunning, and international sisters is just happy. I love the kit idea, too. Happy 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your three favourite quilts are all spectacular! And 400 string blocks in 3 months, well done on meeting your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phew, you really make me feel like a slob! All the best for 2024, I look forward to see more of your quilts and their parts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love your quilts....wish I could say I've been as productive! International Sisters is stunning. It's on the bucket list :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on a wonderful year of quilting and donating! Your quilts are lovely, and that stack of string blocks is jaw-dropping! Good luck with the house sale and the move.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It just turned 2024 here in TX where I'm hoping to get my grandson into bed soon. There are fireworks going off all around us, so whether we can get to sleep is questionable, but I'm falling asleep in my chair, and maybe the noise to lighten up now that midnight is past. Happy New Year. 2024 will be very interesting for you and Bruce.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!