Friday, December 1, 2023

Back in the Saddle Again!

It’s so good to be back in the land of the healthy and strong! My recent left hip replacement was as easy as most everyone said it would be. But I didn’t blog last week because I was laser-focused on my healing and meds and exercises - and the time just sailed by. Bruce and I have mended our differences and he was an excellent nurse, LOL. We spent Thanksgiving at my friend Ruby’s house with her man and her half sister. She had the meal catered and it was delightful to just sit and talk and laugh. And eat, of course. 

Did I tell you that I hit my Weight Watchers goal just before my surgery? Actually, after weeks and weeks of a weight plateau, I finally broke through and sailed past my goal, which was -64.4 pounds. I’m actually at -67.8 pounds. Luckily, as a Lifetime Member, I only have to weigh in once per month. I’ve been mindful of my healthy eating through Thanksgiving, but the hip surgery tends to add weight with the fluids they give you, the swelling, etc. Luckily, most of that has passed, but even though I never miss a workshop meeting, I won’t weigh in for another week or two just to be realistic. Now, I hope to lose just a few more pounds - to total 75 lost. They give us these lovely charms for various milestones, and I want that 75 pound charm!! But that will be my winter to spring focus - I’m in no rush. 

I do have some quilt blocks to show you. After the first several days of recovery, I began to be interested in sewing again. After a week, I had Bruce take all my sewing stuff back down to the studio (he’s such a gem) and I ventured downstairs carefully to take up residence once again in my sewing chair. And all was right in my little world! 

So, in the two week since I last posted, I managed to sew 75 string blocks (at 6.5”). These will be added to my Bag O’ Strings for Quilts for Kids. They’re pinned in batches of 15 for kit-making.


That brought my total for November string blocks sewn to 90. In October I sewed 243, so my total so far this fall for my String Finishing Frenzy is 333. My goal is to hit 400 blocks by the end of the year, so I’m going to have to put the pedal to the metal! At least my string tote bag is breathing easier!! But I doubt I’ll be able to get to the very bottom of it. We’ll see!

I also have my Chaser quilt half quilted. These were Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks for this year. Watch for that finish next week.


While I convalesced, I also began sewing up some Zip(per) blocks for another quilt. I haven’t counted them, nor do I even know how many I want for a quilt top. Hopefully this one will be for me, because my first two  three ended up going to charity, my daughter and my cousin, respectively. 


Winter has arrived here, and leaves from the big tree have fallen and littered our front lawn. I haven’t been able to rake or blow them into a pile because of my surgery - and then the rain and snow came. Hopefully we’ll get a few clear and dry days so we can get them all cleaned up! 

That wraps it up for this week. I have more to show you, but it will wait for next week. Have a good one, friends!

Linking up to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

17 comments:

  1. sounds like life is good for you and you are back to normal that is good news looking forward to seeing more quilting from you and congratulations on the weight

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your hip surgery went well. And look at your scrappy creations...my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to the World of Sewing! So lovely to hear of your excellent progress following your hip operation. Good progress on the sewing string blocks front as well. The varied vibrant colours look amazing. I’m sure you will reach your goal by the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear that you came through that surgery so well, Cathy!! I've been thinking about you;)))
    WOW--90 string blocks--you go girl;))) Do you string them on paper? I use telephone book papers when I make mine...[only sewing the first two to paper and just folding over for size on the next strings--makes removal a snap] I am going to, after sorting 6 bags of scraps and finding a huge bag of strings, start some with the lots of blue and white I seem to have the most of....keep up that good healing --enjoy your back-to-sewing mode hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear all is looking up in your neck of the woods. Congrats on getting to your weight goal. Whoohoo!
    I need to make some string blocks. The strings are invading the sewing room. I never use paper though. I don't understand the point of it. I mean, I don't use paper for other blocks, why would I need paper for strings? I must be simple because I don't get it. Anywho! I love what you're doing. Zipper blocks are always fun. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, look at you. Back up and sewing away. I'm glad everything went well. And congrats on hitting your WW goal. I'm sure you'll get that 75 lb charm. Slow and steady wins the race.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're always amazingly full of energy, even after hip replacement! So glad to know your recuperation is going well, Cathy. Your string blocks are always fun to see. I Spy the pink and yellow African print which is also in my bowtie blocks! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pleased your recovery from hip surgery is coming along so well. So well that you se new sitting at the sewing machine! Do take care you don't overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great progress on your RSC quilt! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cathy! So happy to hear that the surgery is behind you and that it was so successful. That's an amazing number of blocks in one month - you rock. I'm also happy to hear you were able to celebrate Thanksgiving with family and friends - laughter is always good for the soul. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - good for you in reaching your WW goal and recovering so well from the hip replacement. My second hip went just as well as the first, and I'm so happy to be out of pain. Also happy that I did PT this time because I think it has made a difference. Such fun scrappy projects going at your house. I am itching to make some more of the Zipper blocks soon, but have held off while I work on some other things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's such a delight to "hear" the cheer in your voice, Cathy! Triumph on so many levels -- your hip, your weight, your sewing. Yay, you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to hear how well you're healing!!! And sewing!!! Those string block! Wow!!! And you're doing so well with WW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on getting past the hip surgery ... and mending things with Bruce! Ha! Happy to hear you have found your "happy place" once again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on getting back to your sewing space, Cathy!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!