Saturday, December 16, 2023

As Christmas Approaches

Our week started off last Saturday with a fun visit from our (Bruce’s) daughter Stacy and her three daughters. Her hubby Chad had to work and the two boys were ill. The six of us went out to lunch and then the girls got to clean out the toy cupboard and keep whatever they wanted. The younger two grabbed the princesses and crayons, markers and stencils for their art. But then grandma (me) brought out a large shoebox-ful of ribbons and trims from my crazy quilting and embroidery/embellishment days. These were just the ones that were headed to the thrift store, not the good vintage, silk and expensive ribbons. Those are going to my friend Flora. 

The girls thought they’d died and gone to heaven and dug into the ribbons right away. But then Grandpa Bruce sat down on the floor and they began to decorate him. Mom Stacy had a good laugh as we snapped photos because she and her sister Emily used to do this back in the day when they were little. Stacy sent a photo to Emily who laughed and replied “That brings back memories!” Indeed. As the family lore goes, when Emily and Stacy were little, they were doing Bruce’s then-brown hair by putting curlers in. Of course, someone knocked at the door and Bruce answered it with curlers in his hair. It was a police officer who was canvassing neighbors about something or other. Bruce said the officer looked at him and didn’t bat an eye. He must have had little girls himself! Anyway, here are our granddaughters Remi and Evie doing grandpa’s hair! 

In sewing news, I finished the last two dozen or so Zipper blocks for my very own personal quilt. These blocks, designed by Lynn Dykstra of Klein Meisje Quilts, finish at 6x9”. I have 72 of them which will be set 9 across (54”) by 8 down (72”). This is my fourth Zip quilt, and I’m determined that this one will be for us to keep, not donated or gifted. Here are some of my favorite blocks:



Click on the pix to enlarge them. Anyway, these are now bagged and ready for assembly in the new year. For the rest of this month I want to concentrate on finishing up a couple more Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) quilts from blocks I’ve made this year. Oh, and I need to make more string blocks in the next couple weeks - about 60 or so - to meet my goal of 400 string blocks in the last calendar quarter.

I did have a quilt finish this week, though. This delightful and colorful Chaser Block quilt. I would do this one again in a heartbeat! 


There was also some progress this week on sewing the Thrifty RSC blocks together. I just have two borders to sew on, and one of those is sewn together and just waiting to be attached. It’s hanging there on the left in the picture below. 

So then it will be quick work to sew on the bottom border to finish off the top. I then hope to baste this and the third (of three) Framed Four Patch quilt tops. Don’t know if I’ll be able to quilt them during the coming week or not.

Did You Know??? “Xmas” is NOT Disrespectful!

The term Xmas comes from the Greek letter Chi (X) the initial letter in the word Χριστός (Chrīstosmeaning Christ. And the word Xmas actually predates the word Christmas by centuries. While the use of Xmas peaked in the 1950’s, it is still commonly used, although not in formal settings. And it’s not part of a (fictitional) “war on Christmas”. See this Dictionary.com entry HERE to explain it more thoroughly. So, use it or not as you prefer, but please don’t get your knickers in a twist over it! This is my public announcement for this year to spread a little cheer and peace!! 

And speaking of Christmas, everything is done. All the gifts are wrapped (easy when you have bags and envelopes for gift cards). The out-of state things are mailed. The Christmas decorations have been sifted through and donated or are actually decorating the house! Meal planning is done. Parties are underway! Here is a photo from our Weight Watchers card group Christmas gathering.

L-R: Linda, Ruby, Lory, me, Lisa and Annette. Ellie is photographer.

We ate shrimp, veggies, fruit, and a great light pudding parfait that Linda made. Ruby brought the silly headbands for us. That huge pink sweater I’m wearing is definitely oversized - it’s a Medium. Ruby and I should’ve stood up, because we are both at goal. Actually, I’m about 4 pounds under goal now, and heading down to lose another 7 pounds. I’ll be careful during the Holidays and focus on those last pounds in 2024.

This past week saw Bruce and me make yet another trek to the thrift store. This week we donated kitchen stuff (more to come, I’m sure), old Christmas decorations, toys, a bird cage, clothes and towels. Who knows what will be in the next load! And when we get tired of sorting sh-stuff, we cruise potential neighborhoods to move to, sew (me), read (Bruce) and watch Christmas movies. Life is good!

12 comments:

  1. Children are wonderful, I miss the giggly silly of my girls when they were this age and Bruce looks so stylish!
    Foo-foo! I have presents for everyone I just haven't wrapped or sent them, yet and I seem to have lost one somewhere after cleaning up for thanksgiving. never clean I loose more stuff when I clean! After being good about cards I have yet to do anything about it this year, rats!
    Note to self; I must find my reindeer antlers and santa hat, you all look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girls look like they are having a blast!!:))) what fun times to record and keep;)))
    You have such nice finishes; and those zippity-doo-dah blocks should definitely stay with you;!!
    Lovely photo of your WW group...nice you have everything done...We are just about set here;
    not having our gathering until the 26th [if my son', Jeff's covid is overwith!! He just tested positive the 14th....!!] Hugs and best wishes for a super Holiday Julierose;)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to decorate Grandpa Bruce with the ribbons and wasn't he a good sport! Your Chaser quilt looks great and so do the zipper blocks. I'm paying attention to how many you're making, because I'm making those, too, but I only have 30 so far. More needed in the new year! Have a great week, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Granddad looks like a hippy! Those girls were certainly having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are going to keep a zipper quilt for yourself. I love the one I made too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely picture of Grandpa Bruce, dressed up and ready to go to the ball! Great Zipper blocks - glad you intend to keep this one yourself. 60 more blocks, goodness, that’s a lot but no doubt you will do it Cathy. Have a great week decluttering and preparing for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful memory these girls are making. Such a great picture. Love it! I too would make another Chaser Quilt in a minute. Yours is wonderful. Love the Thrifty one too. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cathy! Bruce is such a good sport and the girls did a fabulous job using just as many ribbons and embellishments as possible. It's great that your WW friends were able to get together for a holiday lunch. Merry Christmas to you and your whole family. Good luck on finding the perfect spot to settle. {{Hugs}} a bunch. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful fun with the kids! And your Zipper and Chaser blocks are all so colorful and will look so good in quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Bruce's expression with his gleeful helpers! And a happy WW crew, too. I've admired all your quilting projects -- you indeed deserve a quilt for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE the picture of Bruce and the littles having fun together. The things that memories are made of, for all concerned.
    As I scrolled down it was a fun optical illusion when I came to the Thrifty RSC top (try it, while moving your mouse and you should see what I mean).
    Re the discussion over the use of 'Xmas' - it was interesting to read the origin of the term. I'm afraid that I'm not one that will ever use it because I much prefer 'Christmas' and the thought of keeping 'Christ' in the forefront. Nice to know though that I don't need to get my knickers in a twist when I hear/see others using it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a great Christmas. Having friends and family around enriches our lives so much !

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!