Saturday, December 23, 2023

Same Old Same Old

Not much going on here to report. The week flew by before I knew it. How does that happen? It seemed that every time I wanted to spend an afternoon sewing, something came up - neighbor gifts to prepare and distribute, mountains of laundry, plumber coming over (we’re getting three new toilets for the bathrooms we otherwise remodeled ten years ago). And then there’s the never-ending decluttering of the basement storage room and the “library”/Africa bedroom. Another load of stuff is ready to go to the thrift store - books, clothes, and about a dozen parts storage cabinets. Ugh.   


But I did sew on Sunday and a couple short afternoons. The result was 45 string blocks at 6.5”shown here in piles of 15. 

My friend Ruby finished the quilt she made from blocks that Wanda sent me earlier this year. Ruby added the turquoise sashing. She did stitch-in-the-ditch quilting and wanted to unpick it all. I told her no! Just wash it before you donate it and all the crinkly goodness will equalize everything. As I write this, Ruby has donated it to the Salt Lake Women’s Shelter.

I did manage to baste two quilts yesterday afternoon. Not sure if I’ll be able to quilt one or both of them before I take my Bernina in for her first annual spa treatment on the 26th. 



My back-up Brother machine doesn’t do free-motion quilting. But that’s OK because the week between Christmas and the New Year is when I usually gather up my batting scraps and sew Frankenbatts. And I’ll finish my fourth quarter frenzy of string blocks. I think I only need to sew another 20 or so to meet my goal of 400 string blocks. 

That’s about it from here. I have sure appreciated your comments and friendship during the last year. It never ceases to amaze me what a great group of supportive women (mostly women, but some men too) quilters are. May you all have a joyous and healthy Christmas!

Linking up to Scrappy Saturday.

11 comments:

  1. I’m encouraged by your continued “ getting rid of”! It’s something I struggle with always! I should come to the realization that at almost 78, I’ll never use up all my fabric, or batting, or beads, or patterns . I need to let someone else have them. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. 45 String blocks and 2 quilts basted PLUS all the decluttering?! When do you sleep, Cathy?!?! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have managed to do so many things this week. Pleased to hear you are likely to reach your target of 400 String blocks. Ive been trying to imagine the size of the heap of strings they would use! Hope you have a peaceful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's always something to do around the house - especially when you're getting ready to put it on the market. I love your string blocks - they're so fun in scrappy combinations. Please tell Ruby her quilt turned out beautifully! We straight line quilters always count on washing and drying to crinkle everything up and make it soft. Merry Christmas, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas to you! there is always remodeling to do isn't there

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas and happy frankenbatting to you! Sounds as though you are making good progress with the sorting-out. (Find any gotta-keep treasures?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my - I could happily relieve you of one or two of those storage units! Although, in the grand scheme of things that might just encourage me to keep more stuff, wouldn't it.
    Merry Christmas to you, Bruce and your families.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO happy to see those blocks made into a pretty quilt and on the way to keep someone warn,

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have enjoyed our comments. We have enjoyed your chatter and sharing.
    Happy holidays to you and your family. Hugs and chin scratches to the kittys. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy holidays! That bottom quilt really has caught my eye. Great blocks! I have a storage area that needs to be decluttered again too. And a machine that needs a spa day as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must have missed you getting a new Bernina! Her first spa treatment and your first separation from her. It'll be rough but oh so worth it! Lol! Your strings are a sight to behold and the basted quilt is gorgeous. A healthy, joyous New Year to you as well!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!