Saturday, December 3, 2022

Short and Sweet

This is going to be an abbreviated post this week because I woke up with laryngitis on Tuesday, which is normally not a big deal. I get it about once a year and often wake up at other times with a dry or scratchy throat if my CPAP runs out of water in the humidifier chamber. So, feeling otherwise fine, I masked up and went to Weight Watchers (lost another half pound over Thanksgiving), isolated myself in a rear corner and went on with my day. 

Funny thing - my friend Preeti called in the afternoon, and when I answered the phone, she said “Hi Bruce! this is Preeti. Is Cathy there?” I laughed and told her it WAS me, just a baritone for the day! Later that evening I started feeling bad, and long story short (after a tele-med visit with my doctor and a couple prescriptions), I was down and out with RSV for three days. One prescription was prednisone, to keep the swelling in my airways down. It was hard to swallow, and things kept coming back up, but at least I could breathe! Yesterday, I talked to my brother Steve on the phone (returning his call), and he did NOT believe it was me because of my voice. Seriously, he thought he’d dialed a wrong number and someone was pranking him. I had to speak to him in Hungarian to finally convince him. We’ll have a good laugh over that one down the road, I imagine.

So all I have to show this week is what I got done on Sunday, Monday and part of Tuesday. 

On Sunday, Cousin Kim (who did not get sick) and I sewed Christmas pillowcases. These are the five that I made. They’re all going to be gifted at Christmas.


I use the “burrito” method - very easy - explained HERE.

On Monday I quilted and bound Guitar Strings. It finished at 44x48”.




There’s no Quilts for Kids label on it yet, because I ran out. I was supposed to go deliver a dozen quilts and pick up labels, but see above (got sick). My friend Sandy said she’d mail some labels to me instead. I’ll catch up with her before the end of the year to get all the quilts delivered.

And on Tuesday I got this squirrelly scrappy brown Franken-Sampler quilt top layered and pin basted. The squirrel graphic was given to me by Sally. The two framed 25-patch blocks above and below the squirrels were from Catherine in NJ (no blog) who provided the other 25-patch blocks in last week’s finish. The rest of the scraps, strings, parts and blocks were from my stash. 


And this is what’s on my design board to work on next. The wild animal print will be the backing (not sashing or borders) for this little Wild Elephant Quilt. More details and hopefully a finish on this next week. I’ve got to get back to my finishing frenzy!!


Stay safe and healthy! The RSV virus is wicked! (Yes, I’ve been fully Covid and flu vaxxed).

Linking up with Scrappy Saturday and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge




14 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear your have had RSV Cathy. A lot of it around here, especially children.
    My Patchwork friend is a nurse on the children’s ward at our local hospital and they have had lots of children suffering from RSV as they have all summer which is very unusual. Great finish for your guitar quilt and lovely pillowcases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you are sick with RSV. So many germs and viruses around us. Hope you will be back to normal soon. Your guitar quilt is the perfect marriage of string blocks and feature fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh Cathy so sorry to hear you've been hit with that RSV thing!! Hope you get better soon...
    Your quilts in those chocolate-y browns are so pretty--makes want to run into y room (as if--just walking is it for me still--but feeling better!!) and pull out all my browns and beiges...
    Hugs, Julierose [sending a few little prayers for your quick recovery;))]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get well soon. Yikes! Another reason to never leave the house. And it is quite strange to see the squirrels in a quilt…I think they are from California…so the 80s. ST

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy, so sorry you got RSV. I’m hoping you feel better soon.
    It’s so nice to see my blocks incorporated into your quilts. I love how you put all the brown blocks together. When you are feeling better drop me a line. I have more blocks to donate…nine patch. Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.
    Catherine/NJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even during a sick week, you managed to accomplish SEW much!! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no on the RSV, Cathy! Hope you're on the mend now. Love the Guitar Strings quilt! It really turned out great - such warm and cozy colors. And of course your elephants - I think they are my favorites of the entire RSC year! Take care, friend! 💕

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you have been ill this week. Too much sickness going around, especially so early in the winter season. I hope you bounce back soon and that Bruce avoids it.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Cathy! I’m sorry you are ill! Hope the prednisone and the other meds begin to take effect! Please take care. The finishing frenzy can wait a bit! Love the backing you have for Wild Elephants! And Guitar Strings finished nicely! <3!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, that RsV sounds rather nasty, do hope you are starting to feel a little better by now. Hello to the elephants, I'm sure that next time I see them, they will be a fully finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that RSV has been going around a lot. I think both my daughters families have had it, though not formally diagnosed. Love your guitar strings quilt. Hope you get to recovering soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry you got sick, Cathy -- and glad you're feeling better. Few of us knew what RSV was until this fall. How many more elephants do you need to round up into quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you feeling better! That RSV is really nasty. Love that herd of elephants! Stay safe and sew on !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear - that's really awful. That RSV isn't something to be trifled with either. I do hope you're feeling better (I'm a tad behind in my commenting so hopefully that's the case). Be sure to get lots of rest.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!