Saturday, December 10, 2022

Switching Roles

On the whole, it’s been a pretty good week. I’m almost better from my RSV. Unfortunately, as hard as we tried to  avoid transmitting germs, Bruce has now come down with it. So far it seems to be a mild case, thank goodness. And he’s got a good nurse (wink). It just means another week of isolation and delay of Christmas shopping. Hmmmm… maybe that’s a blessing in disguise!

My sewing week started off slow, but as the week went on I gained steam. Here’s a quick look.

The Wild Elephants quilt is done! This one is a larger size than the four that preceded it. Instead of twelve elephants and borders, Wild Elephants has 19 in the herd. It finished at 43x54”. I put this together when I was at my sickest, and I had so many stupid problems - all of them my fault of course (who else’s?) I had to replace pieces, rip out and re-sew several seams. But it’s done. And just to clarify, all Quilts for Kids quilts are laundered before distribution, so no long-lived wayward germs will be spread with the quilt!


The fun wild animal backing came from my friend Nann.


Last week I showed this scrappy “Squirrel!” quilt basted. It is now completed.


Squirrel! finished at 39x49”


Next in line for finishing was the third and final quilt made up of Bullseye Courthouse blocks. I made these blocks through the year as one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge monthly blocks.   


I love the colors in this little number! It was a joy to finish up. It finished at 41.5” x 48.5” and was quilted with a basic meander.  The backing was the last of a cute sea-themed fabric I’d bought for kid quilt backings. 


Here are all three of these bullseye quilts finished this year. 


I’ll close out with a sneak peak at the scrappy black, white and bright quilt top that is up next for quilting. It will be my first finish for next week. It made a barely-noticeable dent in my black/white scraps.


After that, I’ll spend the week basting and quilting another batch of community quilts. If there’s any time left in the week after that, well, I guess I’ll figure it out then. 

Have a lovely week, everyone!
Linking up to Scrappy Saturday.

13 comments:

  1. My goodness, you have had a busy and successful week on the quilting front, Cathy. All your finishes look great, especially the Squirrel one which turned out beautifully. Sorry to hear Bruce succumbed to the dreaded lurgy. Hope he’s better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what lovely quilts! sorry you both have been sick. So far we have escaped it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are wonderful community quilts. I hope to get to the point sometime, but since I just got my long arm, I have a long queue of quilts I want to make for family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The elephants make such a great quilt, although I'm sorry to hear they gave you trouble! Chalk it up to the RSV. Your Bullseye quilts are lots of fun - I love how you grouped the different colors! Sending good thoughts for Bruce to get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you are getting better; sad that your DH has it now, too.
    You are so good at finishing projects--I am definitely NOT; so, instead of feeling guilty every time I open my closet door where the UFO's were hanging--I decided to send them off for finishing to a charity group that finishes, then donates them. I have to say it was a load off my shoulders...I love the "making"--not so much the finishing lately...
    Your Wild Herd is so neat--just love it...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no - I'm so sorry that Bruce has succumbed. Hopefully with your TLC he'll get over it quickly. I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better. Now...adjusting my nurses's cap....don't overdo it and risk a relapse!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are all great finishes, but I have to say the elephant quilt is my favourite, it is super fun with all the different fabrics and colours .... and the backing is icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wild Elephants and Scrappy Squirrels plus another Courthouse quilt and MORE?!?! SEW glad to hear that you are feeling better and quilting through your "nursing" duties, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your weekly roundup never fails to delight and inspire. (Credit for the animal print goes to my friend Paula who destashed to me twice!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your herd! and so many bullseye quilts..wow! totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you are feeling better! Hopefully Bruce with recover quickly. I absolutely love all your finishes today! You know I’m a fan of your “squirrel “ or “creature “ creations! And your bullseyes are fab! Hope the upcoming week is better, and maybe you can get to your shopping! We have wimped out on that lately. It’s gift cards all around! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job on so many quilts. Sorry you were sick but glad to hear you're on the mend. Bruce has a good nurse indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear you're feeling better and I hope Bruce is better, too. I have enjoyed watching the elephant quilts come to fruition - I'll miss them when you're all done! What KFQ plans do you have for next year? The finished CH Steps are also inspiring...I don't know if they'll get into my 2023 plans, but they're still on my "list".

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!