Saturday, December 17, 2022

Finishing Frenzy Resumes in Earnest!

We had so much snow this week! YAY! I even got the opportunity to go out myself and enjoy some good old fashioned exercise by shoveling the front walkway and the sidewalks. It felt so good to MOVE that I also brushed off the snow-laden bushes so branches wouldn’t break. One of my neighbors was walking by, and we had a chance to chat and catch up, something that happens all too infrequently here in the winter months. Bruce is recovered from his RSV too, so we’re planning a Barnes & Noble date this afternoon.

My sewing goals this week were to pin baste and quilt as many small kids quilts as possible, and I actually finished five quilts and have three more pin basted. 

Let’s start with the scrappy quilt I gave you a sneak peak of last week. The purpose of this little number was to use up some of my black and white (or white and black, or even just gray) 2.5” strips. I’ve been trying to whittle down my black, brown and gray scraps in keeping with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge’s suggestion to use dark neutrals during the last couple months of the year. To add a little punch to the quilt, I cut some solid brights (also from scraps), in squares of 2.5, 4.5, and 6.5”. 


I think it turned out kinda cute. It’s quilted with a simple stipple and finished at 39.5x46”. The backing used two dark and bright remnants from previous backings.


The following four quilts were not made by me, but were sent to me by Jo Kramer of Jo’s Country Junction to finish. I’m one of the finishers for her Community Quilts program. Once completed, I donate them, with all my other kid quilts, to the Salt Lake chapter of Quilts for Kids.

First up is this Winnie the Pooh panel. The quilters from Cresco, Iowa made this top by adding two borders to the panel. They made all the other tops below, too. 


It’s quilted with loops and swirls and finished at 38x47.5”. The backing was a piece sent to me by Jo. 


The next quilt is yellow elephants (yellophants?) and scraps. It finished at 39.5x43”.


I’m ashamed to admit that I initially left off the Cresco Quilters on these labels. I did go back with a fine-tip marker after these pictures were taken to add them in. I always want to give credit where it’s due. No more pre-filling out labels!


The third quilt of this bunch is a sweet and simple patchwork of birds and florals. 


It finished at 35x37”.  Both this quilt and the last one used an old blue sheet I’ve had around for awhile. I was so happy to move this and so many other remnants out this week!


The final quilt is this little blue bubbly bathtime number, finishing at 39.5x43”. 


So there you have it! For the coming week, we have no outside plans until near the weekend - parties and Christmas and such. So, I hope to finish those three basted quilts (2 donation quilts and one personal) and baste one more personal quilt. That will conclude my Finishing Frenzy for this year. I’ll do a final count of quilts finished in November and December next week.

My Bernina “Bernadette” will go in for her annual spa treatment on December 26. For the final week of the year, I’ll use “Bob” , my Brother backup machine. I’ll be able to use him to quilt my final personal quilt and assemble Frankenbatts from the year’s batting scraps. I can also keep busy cutting and assembling quilt kits for Quilts for Kids.

There is also this project, which I haven’t shown on the blog before; twenty blocks donated to QFK, which were given to me to make into a quilt or two. About a third of the blocks were only partially assembled, so I had to finish them and correct correct mistakes in two others. After I took this picture, I divided the blocks into two groups. I had to make one more look-alike block in similar fabrics from stash so the resulting two quilts will have 12 and 9 blocks respectively. That will be a January project. 

Stay safe and healthy, friends. I hope you’re having a lovely Holiday Season. See you back here next Saturday!



13 comments:

  1. Oh, that black/white strip design is exactly the kind of inspiration I need. It's great! Some of those sampler blocks are piece-filled. I look forward to seeing how you'll set the two sets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finishes. The black and white with brightly coloured squares really appeals to me. Glad you enjoyed yourself in the snow! Been extremely cold here, no snow thank goodness but temperatures did get down to -6C! So I haven’t ventured far. Enjoy your week leading up to Christmas Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the black and white with brights quilt, too! And the finishes from Jo's Community Quilts are sweet as can be. Glad Bruce is lots better! One of those "Big 3" respiratory things caught our younger son and derailed our plans for a family weekend this week. Darn it! Have a great week, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many lovely quilts. The bright fabric on the back is amazing! I really like pairing bright colors with black and white too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a trooper taking on so many other people's projects to finish, then donate and doing some of your own work, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After the holidays I need to get busy making some small donation quilts. I have way too much fabric and need to whittle it down. My daughter will come for Christmas Eve, but otherwise I'm home alone so it will be another quiet holiday season here. Enjoy your family activities and have a Merry Christmas.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. What adorable kiddie quilts--love the backing on Winnie-the-Pooh one!! No snow here--just grayness and cold winds...Stay well and enjoy your snow filled days...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love the black/white/grey quilt. Congrats on so many finishes. I'm glad you were able to get outside and shovel and just MOVE. Fun to catch up with the neighbor. It's also great to hear that Bruce is recovered from RSV. Have fun on your date! ~~Kathy S.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yellowphants - love it!!! And I love the Winnie the Pooh quilt, both front and back. I've always loved Eeyore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with the other commenters, the black and white strip quilt is a real eye catcher. Must file that idea away, or better still, get on and make a similar one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The finishing rate at Casa Cathy is matched only by Santa's Workshop. Love all your projects. Hope you and Bruce have a fun date night. Love & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many great finishes. I really like the scrap quilt at the top of the page.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m late to the party! Don’t really have an excuse…..but loved all those donation quilts. I did a jelly roll quilts several years ago that I disliked intensely! Now yours speaks to me, so maybe I should give that technique another try! My New Year’s goals are going to be slightly different this year!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!