Saturday, November 26, 2022

Finishing Frenzy Interrupted by Turkey!

Well, apparently I cannot keep up a breakneck finishing pace for more than three weeks without pausing to enjoy some refreshment, LOL. This week’s guest star was Tom Turkey, with supporting cast of cornbread dressing, cranberry relish and pumpkin pie. YUM! But it was all carefully prepared and consumed within my weight loss plan, so it’s all good. The bonus - and truly the best part of the week - was seeing family again after several reclusive weeks. Let the Holiday Season begin!! 

While I didn’t get as much done in the studio as I’d hoped, it was still a pretty good week. Here we go.

My friend Ruby asked me to show her how to free motion quilt. After she watched me quilt a little quilt a couple weeks ago, she was ready to try on her own. So… she quilted this cute patchwork quilt that I assembled from 25-patch blocks sent to me by Catherine in New Jersey (no blog).  I showed all the blocks back in June HERE. You can read the backstory there, too. 


Isn’t it cute? Ruby practiced her stipple and did a great job. Then I bound and labeled it. It finished at 39x49”.  Here’s the pieced backing.


Catherine had sent more 25-patch blocks. The two brown ones are already pieced into a quilt top that I will show next week as a finished quilt. Sorry, I didn’t get any photos before hanging it up in the To-be-Quilted line.  There were several pink blocks as well, and they’ll be used in a quilt the next time we visit our pink scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC).

Speaking of the RSC, my other finish for the week was my Crumb Tumblers quilt. Making crumb-pieced tumblers, alternated with solid-pieced tumblers, was one of my 2022 RSC projects. This month I added a brown row at the top and a gray-to-black row at the bottom to give it proper length.


Again, this was quilted in a stipple, which is my preferred pattern for string, crumbs and wherever there is a lot of small piecing. The finished size is 40x48”.


Both of the quilts are for Quilts for Kids. At this time, I’m totally out of QFK labels, so I’ll be making a trip over to my friend Sandy’s house (our chapter President) to deliver about a dozen finished quilts, five quilt kits and to pick up a couple dozen more labels. 

The next pic is the quilt top I put together of brown strings and scraps. It’s basted and next in line to be quilted.


And these are the remaining bullseye courthouse quilt blocks that were another RSC project for this year. This will be the 3rd and final quilt from these blocks. Right now, they’ve just been arranged on the design wall, waiting to be sewn into a top. 


That’s it for the quilting, but I do have one more share. This week was Cousin Kim’s birthday. As my gift to her, I bought her a cute blue bowl and filled it with chocolate and a gift card to Beans and Brews. Then I used a plastic plant saucer (the kind used under a planter to catch water) to make a lid. It was tied on with twine.


Next came the fun part. I went out to the yard and foraged any potential decorations, such as cypress, rose hips, holly, coneflower heads, berries, colorful leaves, dried hydrangea and even a dried rose. They were then hot glued to the plastic top to make a dried arrangement. No paper wrapping - yay! 


Best of all, she loved it!!




Have a great week. Linking to Scrappy Saturday/Rainbow Scrap Challenge and Oh Scrap! 

17 comments:

  1. Those quilt projects are SEW sweet! You, Catherine and Ruby did great teamwork on that 16-Patch. Love, love, LOVE Cousin Kim's gift!! Such a brilliant gift idea, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your tumbler quilt... what a great idea to alternate a pieced tumbler with a solid piece of fabric! Also great in the brown guitar quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a clever way to decorate a gift. Great idea to use the plant container as a cover. You've accomplished so much, it puts the rest of us to shame.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you - inspiring another free motion quilter! Great work on all the kids' quilts...I'm especially partial to the brown strings and stringed instruments. Love your package decorating - you have such a great eye for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those tumblers! But then--oh, the brown strings (brown can be beautiful), and the bullseyes! Your gift package is simply inspired. Glad you are having a good Thnx weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three nice quilts to keep a young one warm - I love the tumblers and like the way you have alternated with plain blocks. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all your pretty quilt finishes. Well done to Ruby for learning how to stipple. Shame I can’t pop across for a lesson, Cathy! Your decorated gift was beautiful! That will probably last for a while as an ornament. So pleased your Thanksgiving celebration and meal went well. Always a delight to see the family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always have such a lot to show, congratulations. Such a clever gift idea for Cousin Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilts--I really like the crumb tumblers a lot--and the bulls eyes are so pretty in those colors--you are making good headway with your projects...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't you creative with your dried plants and the hot glue gun?! Pretty finished quilts, too. Happy Thanksgiving, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just visited with my sister’s kids and one had just adopted an Alfie look-alike. And it looks like you are low on ivy…I’ll send you a truck full…ST

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Fabulous Finishing Frenzy continues! Such nice work for Quilts for Kids. I love all the quilts, but my favorite is Crumb Tumblers in rainbow rows. That's a perfect present for your friend, with a one of a kind "wrapping"!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So nice to help Ruby learn free motion quilting. She did a great job! I love your tumbler quilt. Adding the brown to the red is awesome. It looks much better than if you had added the brown and the grey at the bottom. Kudos! Love, love, love your string and strings quilt. (You know, string as pieces and strings as guitars, haha.) Anywho! It looks fabulous! Great layout for the bullseye quilt. You've kept the best for the last. I'm so impressed with that gift. It looks wonderful and it is so clever. You have started a trend there, Cathy. Enjoy the leftovers. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sure enjoyed your post Cathy!! I love the Guitar Strings quilt!!!!!!! The bullseye courthouse blocks are going to great quilt(s). So glad you were able to share your quilting skills with Catherine. I'm sure she was appreciative. Hope your coming week is some sewing too! BTW, love the gift for Cousin Kim!!!! Gorgeous and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice projects for the RSC! I love those crumb tumbler blocks! I have a bunch of EPP tumblers in all colors. I may use this layout when I get more of each color. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Darn computer... I had to switch from Safari to Chrome in order to write a comment. Where to start -- love the tumbler quilt. I'm taken with the 25 patch blocks... its soft colors but together they make a terrific quilt. Yea for a quilter learning to free motion and congrats to you for helping her. But I am most impressed with your gorgeous dried arrangement. That's something I couldn't do. On the other hand all I could scrounge from my yard is holly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your friend did a great job of quilting. Although I can't say that I'm a fan of brown the guitar quilt will make somebody very happy I'm sure. And the gift for your cousin was inspired!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!