Saturday, April 2, 2022

Welcome April!

Hi friends! I can’t tell you how happy I am to see March in the rear view mirror. There were a lot of good times during the month with friends and family and some nice weather, to be sure. It was just so hectic! And full of dust (remodeling, you know). I think I’m getting too old to be “on” all the time. I need my space and quiet times to recharge the ol’ batteries. Evenings with Bruce (and our furkids) by the fireplace, with a good book or movie are balm. So is time in the sewing room. I bet you can relate. 

Anyway, there has been more relaxation this week, and I’m grateful. Dear (but oblivious) brother-in-law Marv left for home in Arizona on Wednesday. Our contractor/family member Jeff had to return to work during the week, but will spend a couple Saturdays here finishing up the linen closet doors. He’ll also be ripping out the master bedroom carpet to see if we have those nice old hardwood floors in the master bedroom that are in the hall and back bedroom. I’m guessing that we don’t because I don’t remember seeing them when we recarpeted in there back in 2008. Whether we end up with hardwood or having to carpet, we’ll be painting and adding new baseboards and getting a new bed. But enough of that for now. When I do have “after” pictures to share, I will. 

The first thing I worked on this week was finishing up my Rainbow Scrap blocks for yellow March. I don’t have a picture of the row of solid-and-crumb yellow tumblers for the rainbow tumbler project because it’s just too hard to get a picture of one long, skinny row. But in time, as the rows multiply, they’ll be more photogenic. But here are the two scrappy placemats I made with yellow. 


They measure 12x18”, having been made with six 6” blocks. I may start making them a bit larger, but I’ll have to see how many pink crumbs I have at the end of the month. Pink is the color for April and I bet there are loads of wonderful things showing up for the RSC’s Scrappy Saturday. As for me, I have gotten my pink scrap bucket out and have sorted it into chunks, strips, etc, but I haven’t started sewing on them. I’m going to have to make a good start on them next week!

I do have three quilt finishes to share though that were done a week or two ago, before the circus came to our house, hehe. These are the three that were made by our Quilts for Kids member-with-dementia, then deconstructed and given to me to clean up (dethread, trim), then sew back together and quilt/bind. They are all from the same style kit we offer, and finished up at 37x44”.

This first one is cuter in person. Well, they all are. 


This next one is my favorite. The backing fabric is full of adorable animals from the same line.


And lastly, another monkey quilt. In person, the alternating mottled fabric appears more yellow than gray. But our donations dictate what we have to work with.

So, that brought my March quilt finishes up to six. I will update my “2022 Quilts” tab (above) later today. I still have one March quilt to finish that was pushed over into April because I ran out of time. I’m calling it Ukrainian Cats, but I’ll explain and show it next week. It’s already sandwiched up and ready for quilting. 

Speaking of Ukraine, are you participating in Bonnie Hunter’s Hearts of Hope Sew-Along? I joined in and stitched up my Part 1 pieces this week. They’re the top half of the hearts (the bottom halves are yellow). Bonnie’s pattern is free and available at that link. It’s another gorgeous design, and I’m a sucker for string piecing!

Today I plan to spend an hour or two doing some pruning and spring cleanup in the garden. Our eyeglasses are ready at Costco, but we’ll avoid going there on a weekend and wait until early next week to pick them up … and do some shopping, too. We also have a Barnes and Noble date planned next week in Salt Lake, and we’ll be dropping off some kennel quilts to Best Friends animal shelter that were made by my sweet friend Terri. Oh! It’s time to get the car inspected and the registration renewed. And I’m hankering to visit a nursery and scope out some new plants and pick up some supplies. But first I have to get my garden “chores” done (sometimes I can be such a bi*ch!). Actually, though, working out in the yard first will be the best way to come up with a list of things I want  need! 

Have a great week!

15 comments:

  1. Just lovely March finishes, Cathy. [ I am afraid I don't have any...still resting after 2nd epidural...it's hard to "stay down" isn't it?]
    Anyhow, I am planning for now..
    Happy April to you hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your week was quieter and allowed you some “you” time. Lovely bright yellow placemats. You’re very kind to redo your quilter friend with dementia quilts. All three are lovely - such fabulous animal fabrics! Enjoy your time in the garden, no doubt lots of ideas for new plants etc will spring to mind as you’re working away. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember the old folktale about "room for one more" -- the man complained about his house being full with his family. He went to the rabbi for advice. "Bring in the chicken/the goat/the cow/the horse," advised the rabbi each time. The house is so full! Take out the horse/cow/goat/chicken -- ahh, the house is so big.......And so yours is. But with the prospect of new carpet. Oh, BTW, nice yellow placemats and three great donation quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure got a lot of yellow sewn up during March with all you have going on. But sewing is a sanity saver, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your yellow placemats! And the donation quilts you fixed up and finished from the other QFK member, too. They are such a great design for a kid's quilt - what size are the squares? Lots of busy stuff going on at your house - you'll enjoy it when the work is done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, LOVE those scraps of sunshine YELLOW placemats, Cathy!! Glad to hear that things are calming down at your house. Congrats on those three darling donation quilt finishes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the kid quilts! They turned out lovely, even though they are simple. It's kind of you to remake your member's piecing. I don't look forward to the time when people think I'm too old/useless to contribute. Now that the circus has left your house, I hope you have a much calmer week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like next week will be full of fun errands and shopping. Hope you finds what you need in the garden. I haven't even thought about my little plot! Time will come and then I'll scramble, I suppose. The three kids quilts are perfect. And. so are your placemats! I hope I can get a pink one done this month. I'm scheming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who hasn’t moved the clock forward to Pink. And oh, just a head’s up…Buddy and Molly’s limo is about thee hours away from your house and they are looking forward to a whole month of fun and constant attention. Scotty at Kitten Academy does a spot on imitation of Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the yellow placemats! I keep saying I'm going to make some and never do it; now I'm inspired to give it a try for April. Hahaha - that and everything thing else I want to do in April! The QFK quilts are fun and very snuggly-looking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh boy, glad I am not the only one who 'needs' that down time after craziness happens! Lovely quilts and those yellow placemats are wonderful. Enjoy the outings this week (and the peace and quiet!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad that you're now able to have some down time and can do something you want. Garden shopping sounds like fun and normally we would be joining you but this year we're going away the first part of May when we should be buying plants so don't know what will be left when we get back. Resident Chef normally has his tomato seeds planted by now but there's no point if we're not going to be here to water them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too windy outside the last couple of days to do any yard work. Lots to do and so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Cathy, to me you are always on, sewing up a storm, making lovely projects, tending to your garden and just being you. I do understand the stress of jumping from one deadline to another. My blog reading and commenting had to take a back seat while I had my pedal to the metal. Wishing a more relaxed pace for you! Looking forward to all things pink :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!