Saturday, April 30, 2022

Wrapping Up Pink April

I got my final pink blocks quilts done just under the wire - yesterday. There are three quilts, but you’ll  only see two of them today because one will be introduced tomorrow for a Hands2Help guest blog post.  More on that later in the post.

First I sewed up the Bear Paw blocks that I wanted to get done for the month. There are two at 6.5” and five at 3.5”. 

I also sewed up more string blocks - another 30.  These will go to Quilts for Kids for use in kits. And that is another hint about my blog post for tomorrow; I’ll be showing the “kit”, pattern and finished quilt that used some of my original string blocks made earlier this month. Plus ideas and variations.


With those out of the way, I could concentrate on finishing up the pink scrap quilts I had planned for the month. Last week I showed this pile of potential:


Well, after some fun playing on the design board with the various pieces, this is the result:


My only regret is not using a brighter pink fabric to pair with the selvage half hexies. But I wanted to use scraps instead of cutting into yardage. And I used every bit of that pink and white stripe  except a couple small crumbs that will get used up next year. 


All the pink selvages are used, and most of everything else you see in the quilt is gone other than a few crumbs or small squares. I quilted it, as usual, with a simple stipple. The quilt finished at 38x46”.

I broke down and decided to use some of that wonderful Tula Pink background for the backing/binding. I’d buy a bolt of that stuff if I could find it! 

I thought I’d shown a picture of the following little quilt in process somewhere along the line this month, but I sure can’t find it. Oh well, it’s finished now. For some reason I thought the “kit” I’d assembled last year had more pink in it, but it’s really more green and lavender. But whatever - as long as it gets finished and passed on to Quilts for Kids, it’s all good.

The plaid cheater fabric in the center panel as well as the lavender squares have been sitting around since last year. Back in October I got some of the pastel plaid scraps and the owl print, and that was enough to go to the stash to pull green scraps and those dang pink selvage squares. 


Somehow, it works. Again, it’s quilted in a stipple, which I always like to do when there are selvages involved so I can backtrack over areas that may need to be tamed. 


This little pastel baby quilt finished at 36.5x42”. It’s very soft and cuddly. The backing also used up a lot of fabric chunks, although I think I have a few skinny strips of the black and white giraffes left. 


So, that wraps up Pink April! Be sure to visit Scrappy Saturday at Angela’s blog to see all the scrappy pink goodness before Angela calls the new color for May! 

We’re still in rainy weather mode here, so our garden is not yet planted. The drip irrigation is all ready to go, but we had “frozen mix” in the weather forecast for yesterday (didn’t happen), so we’ve put off planting until the 10-day forecast shows no more freezing temps. It will happen (I keep telling myself.....)


Be sure to drop by here or at Mari’s blog tomorrow for my guest post for Hands2Help. And have a wonderful week!



14 comments:

  1. So much pretty pink. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's post for H2H. I never get tired of how you use the string blocks. I have some on the design wall right this minute and need some inspiration. So I will definitely check back. ps: I wonder if i could sort my selvedges into colors. Is there enough time before I "kick the bucket"? Hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have such creative ideas for scraps. Love all the pink projects. I wonder what color is next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing your little quilts for kids that come together out of this and that! The greens and pinks are pretty together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW you're not fooling me, "you" yourself are a sewing machine!! :)) You really are so productive, Cathy. All lovely projects...especially those string blocks!! Yummy in pinks...hope the rest of your weekend goes sewingly, too ;))) hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. all your projects are so pretty in pink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our high on Wednesday was 38 and there were snow flurries on and off throughout the day. Finally got near 60 today. Our last frost date isn't til late May. All your pink project are looking good. I completely missed doing any pink this month. I was away for 2.5 weeks and then just couldn't get motivated. But tomorrow starts another month, so I'll try to get back on track.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gardens won't be planted anytime soon here - still cool/cold. Every time the temperature gets up to something decent it promptly dips down below freezing again.
    You completed some great pink projects over the month but I must admit I'm looking forward to what the next colour will be. Not that I have much dislike for pink or anything of the sort (sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cathy! Oh that pink donation quilt reminds me so much of cupcakes. Wonderful pink and white cupcakes with fun and colorful frosting on top! I love the Fairy Dust fabric for the backing. It's just the perfect touch. I'll be back tomorrow for sure. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job of working through your PINK scraps, Cathy!! I'll be looking forward to your H2H Guest Blogger post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely collection of Pink finishes for your sewing week. Love them all, especially that last little quilt with the cute owls strips. 30 Pink String blocks - amazing total.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The last comment was mine.. came out as Anonymous for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work on getting through so much pink fabric! You know they'll multiply while you're sleeping again! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely Pink month - I too love that Tula Pink fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those half hexies - they look like spaceships! (may the fourth be with you)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!