Saturday, April 23, 2022

Three Little Pink Quilts

This week my focus in the studio was to finish some of the pink quilt tops that I’ve been sewing up from scraps this month. Pink is April’s color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and I like to make as many pink quilts as possible whenever this color comes up so that I don’t have to mix it in with the other ROYGBIV (standard rainbow) colors. 

But first I did sew some cute little 4” bow tie blocks using some of my 2.5” squares. 

Then in one afternoon I went on a basting frenzy and sandwiched up three little quilts to be quilted. There was only one day this week where the weather allowed us to work outdoors due to rain, so it was no problem to quilt, bind and label them for our QFK workshop today.

This first one was made from various leftover width-of-fabric strips that I had  collected over the last couple years and kitted up for a pink sewing month. It measures 37xx44”.


The backing was this awesome 100%. Cotton sheet (well, half of it). I love plaids!!

Next up was another WOF strip-and-chunk quilt of fabrics gathered and kitted last year.

I was so excited at how well this recent online fabric purchase for the backing matched the quilt front. The quilt finished at 39.5x46”.


The third quilt used a lot of crumbs, leftover half-square triangles and pink fabric squares. 


It finished at 40x48”.


I still have another pink-and-color-friends quilt to quilt, and one pile of scraps and selvage half hexies to assemble into a quilt. That will be a fun project for Sunday.


In between the above quilts and blocks, I devoted some sewing time to my new Zipper Quilt. There were only four blocks left to sew, then it was quick work to assemble the 54x63” top. 


I prepped the backing - a lovely floral on navy background fabric thatI purchased at Missouri Star Quilt Company last summer. Now it’s all on a hanger, waiting to be quilted next month. 

We interrupt this blog post to bring you a word from our sponsor, Alfalfa. He’s here to remind you that if you do not have a furry quilting supervisor, then you are not doing it right!


That is all. Carry on.

And as you can see in the picture behind Alfie, he insisted that I make some progress on my Hearts for Ukraine quilt (he’s a slave driver I tell you!). I found an old blue and yellow floral jelly roll that I’m going to use to finish up the top. 


So I added a stop border and am in the process of sewing and adding the checked border. It’s just slapped up on the board for now, not sewn.


The final border will be a piano key border on the top and bottom in these fabrics to make it rectangular. It should finish about 54x66”. Unless Alfie or I change our minds. 

If you’re interested, I did a post mid-week that shows all the recent renovations we did in March. You can visit by clicking the “older post” link below or visiting here

This week Bruce and I finally bought a new bed. It will be delivered in mid-May. That gives us time to shop for sheets and rugs. I also bought plane tickets for my son Ryan I to fly up to Seattle next month to visit and help out my daughter Megan, who is having (female) surgery. More about that trip later. Between all that and the recent remodeling, I feel as though our money has grown wings. But I am grateful we have it to spend. With the state of things in the world, I know we are very blessed. Life is good.

17 comments:

  1. You have some lovely fabrics to use in your strippy quilts. Great backings too. The latest Zipper top looks great. Yes, there are certainly times when lots of money seems to be spent. We’re about to embark on lots of decorating work - some of which should have happened more gradually over the past two years but Covid interrupted that. We also need a new bed and I always dread shopping for beds so we keep putting it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All so lovely Quilts and WIPS--I love the pink bow ties especially...so pretty--
    I still have to layer my Ojos--maybe this afternoon if Mr. DH can help with the necessary
    leaning over--I may try out the 505 spray that just arrived from Amazon...--I wonder if it would gunk up my hand sewing needle? Still working in "Hexagonia" and need to die cut more freezer templates and fabrics...a bit at a time though..hope your day is a good one hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty pink quilts, Cathy! I love the plaid sheet for backing- great find. I like your choices on the Hearts for Ukraine border, too - looks you had the perfect jelly roll for that. Did I miss your midweek post? I'll have to go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love seeing your many and varied projects, such a riot of colour! Lots of pinks, and the blue and yellow quilt is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I love all your pink quilts....so pretty.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I enjoyed seeing all the projects you have going on. I have a little stitching going on that keeps me happy. When we moved here, we left out bed at home. Corey and Alyssa bought us one of those frames that you can adjust your head and feet up or down. I have become accustomed to sleeping with my head raised just a bit. I did see your renovations. Our house here is still a work in progress. Improvements for the animals come first and we all are good with that so inside the house is slow moving but constantly moving.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are blessed, indeed, and good stewards of what you have. Enjoy your time in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on those completed PINK projects, Cathy!! I really like the way you gave those Crumb blocks room to breathe. Enjoy the rest of your PINK sewing as April comes to a close!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really have been busy with so many pink finishes. Your Hearts for Ukraine is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good photo of Alfie! He looks so cute! Your Hearts for Ukraine quilt is looking good. I like the border and the piano keys sound good. That zipper quilt looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice finishes for Quilts for Kids, plus the zipper quilt and Hearts for Ukraine! Great border ideas. You and your supervisor are doing a really good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your "pink and friends" projects turned out very well. So many quilters say "never!" to using sheets for backings. Well, that means there are more for you and me to use!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much lovely pinkness! And that plaid backing..to die for! Hearts for Ukraine is going to be gorgeous! And so is Alfalfa! I hope he is not offended that I say he is gorgeous! Handsome, then?? Definitely cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alfieri reminds me of the beautiful mom kitty we met this last week at my nephews. Intelligent and inquisitive. Alfie looks to be a good helper!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the zipper quilt! So much energy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Small? Did you say small? There is nothing small about these cute, adorable, darling pink quilts. They have oodles of joy and attitude. I am crushing on Hearts for Ukraine. Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The pink bow-ties are adorable - four inches is a perfect size for them! Love that bit of pink and orange plaid sheet! Ear scritches to Alfie, even if he does make you work too hard!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!