Saturday, April 9, 2022

Pink Scrap Progress

It feels as though Spring is racing by. Daffodils and tulips are blooming in our yard, trees are budding out and the birds are back! Easter is next weekend, and I’m looking forward to Bruce barbecuing a pork roast that we can have with fresh asparagus, home baked rolls and some strawberry-rhubarb Angel food cake. And deviled eggs. Always deviled eggs! 

This was another full week for us. On Monday we picked up our new eyeglasses, and we love them. I’ll show a picture once my face heals - I had a few things frozen off on my face and upper chest, so I look like a teenager with bad acne. Thank goodness for masks in public! 

Our contractor Jeff was here on Wednesday and tore up the master bedroom carpeting to reveal the very nice original hardwood floors underneath. He will have to do some paint spot removal, then buffing. It seems the previous (original) owners repainted the bedroom without a drop cloth when they knew they’d be carpeting some decades ago. Anyway, once that’s done, he’ll install the baseboards and the master bedroom will be finished. I did paint the closet in there this week, which apparently never had anything more than primer all these years.  We have to shop now for a nice rug and a bed. I’m still waiting for a few minor things to be done, like my cabinet pulls to be installed in the laundry room, but I should have Before and After photos of the laundry room and linen closet expansion next week.

It was so nice to spend lots of time sewing this week! First I worked on Part 2 of the the Hearts of Hope quilt-along string blocks. I got the yellow string bottoms done, the hearts sewn together and the top assembled.


I will add the next three small borders for Part 3 this week. But I’m not sure if I’ll add the final large string pieces border, at least not this month. I do have a half yard of blue an yellow Ukrainian-designed fabric that I may try to work in somewhere. We’ll see. 

In order to jump start my pink scrap sewing this week, I decided to start with the Framed Four-patches. I had 23 of the 4P’s sewn last year, so it was quick work to get them done. Then I realized I’d only need to sew 7 more to have a 40x48” quilt top. So that’s what I did!



This will get sandwiched and quilted this week, along with my as-yet unshown Ukrainian Cats blue and yellow quilt. Obviously, there is something wrong with my clocks here, because there are never enough hours to do everything I want to get done!!

And then I switched to sewing pink elephants.



I have four more elephants cut out, so next week I’ll show the entire pink herd and maybe all the two dozen-plus ellies I’ve made so far! 

We’re supposed to have cold temperatures and possibly snow in the next few days. We’ve been working out in the yard as time and weather permit, with Bruce getting all the irrigation and tilling done, and me working on the pruning and garden bed clean-up. We should have some of our early crops like peas and spinach in the ground, but it’ll be at least another week.

Have a great week!











18 comments:

  1. Lots of pretty pinkness in your corner of the world. I smile every time I see your elephants! Woke to a dusting of snow on rooftops here on the Plateau. Average last frost if April 15 so hoping to get a few plants out in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, you have had a busy sewing week. Like the framed 4 patch blocks and the pink Ellies are lovely. Glad your renovating is moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pink elephants are so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty PINK quilt top and ellies, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was waiting for the pink elephants-- they look great! I love the pink 4 patch, too. SO simple but so successful. Hurray for hardwood floors under the carpet! What a great find. Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, those elephants, so pretty. I cant wait to see them all together, looking forward to that. And you've certainly been working hard on your blue and yellow strippy stars, quite a bit of work in making all these, I expect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blue and yellow string hearts are pretty, Cathy! I wanted to make some of those, but just haven't gotten to them yet. Love your sweet pink 4 patch quilt, and the elephants, too. We're slowly getting going on the yard here, too. I'm ready for flowers and growing things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lot of Hearts For Hope!!! Looking great!!! Love the variety in your 4-patches--Raggedy Andy, unicorn? and others!!! And those ellies are the cutest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable pink elephants! Pretty yellow and blue string quilt and the pink quilt is beautiful too. You've been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let's not talk about the pink elephants in the room! LOLOLOL!
    So fun!
    Love your heart blocks too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cathy! You've got some fun project going on. I just love those blue and yellow hearts. What a great use for strings!! And the pink elephants are so fun. I can't wait to see the whole herd. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I luv the pink elephant blocks,the makings of a fun quilt for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sure wish some of your productivity would rub off on me! You get so much done that I'm always amazed. And yay for reaching the near end of some big home projects too. I know that's got to feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the maverick block among the framed four patches! Your hearts are coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That elephant quilt is going to be so cute. You must have worked non-stop to get all those string hearts done. I'm visiting in NC where it's finally warming up, so no sewing has been done lately. And I heard it snowed at home yesterday, so I'm happy to be here instead.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have snow at home, N E Oregon, but we are now in the WINDY Farmington, NM at the moment, headed east to visit the grands, so no sewing. Fun to read quilt blogs when we have service out in the wilds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am loving your pink elephants! Well, I like all the elephants you have shared so far! I am especially impressed with the Hearts for Hope quilt. I have printed the patterns, ordered some yellow and some brighter blue, but that is as far as I have gone. No reason, except, I'm slow, and I am working a few other projects. But you have inspired me to "get the lead out"!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!