Saturday, March 26, 2022

Three Ring Circus

It’s been one of THOSE weeks here at our house. We haven’t slowed down all week. The weather here has gone from cold and sunny to warm and sunny, with high temps expected in the seventies all weekend. Anyway, I’m going to spare you most of the details, but let me just hit the highlights.

On Monday we visited our dear friend Terri, had lunch and exchanged Christmas and birthday gifts. It’s been way too long between visits! It was absolutely a heartwarming day. That evening, Bruce’s brother Marv in Arizona called and said one of his Utah friends died and Marv wondered if he could stay here so he could attend the wake. He didn’t know when yet, but would let us know. Monday and Tuesday were busy days with construction going on in our hall (linen closet expansion) and laundry room (total redo). I also had WW, plus we ran errands. On Wednesday I painted the laundry room while our contractor Jeff worked on the closet and shelving. That evening at 6:30 pm, Marv called to say he was 3.5 hours away. WHAT?!?!  All the construction tools and equipment plus the removed doors were staged in the guest room! Poor Jeff had to come back (good thing he’s family) and move all his construction stuff to another room so Marv would have a place to sleep. Hmmmf!  I was not happy with Marv.

On Thursday morning, Cousin Kim and I went to a local quilt shop’s March Madness sale, and I bought about 25 yards of fabric to donate to Quilts for Kids. It’s staying in the bag and it’s not even going to see my stash. I did get one 4-yard cut of floral fabric for myself too, hehe. In the afternoon, Bruce and I had our eye exams. We both only had minor tweaks to our prescriptions. At Costco we ordered the eyeglasses and my new frames will be blue and green! We filled up the tank with gas and took out a mortgage to pay for it. Just kidding! It was pricey ($4.549 per gallon), but we drive a hybrid and it’s not really that painful. Friday we spent with Bruce’s daughter Emily, her husband and our delightful grands - lunch and playing and garden tours and walking and summer plans. It was great. 

Somewhere in all that, I grabbed a few minutes here and there to sew. 


18 Bowties, 4.5”


Bear Paws at 6”, 9” and 12” (finished size)

The current remodeling will finish up next week some time. I’m busy cleaning (there’s dust everywhere!), and shopping for cabinet knobs and decor. Jeff is also installing new wide baseboards in the master bedroom. Then I’ll paint that closet interior and we’ll recarpet in there and buy an adjustable (think “sleep number”) bed. Hopefully that will be done by the end of April so we can focus our attention in the garden. 

We have so many plates spinning now that I need a secretary! Seriously, when I get overwhelmed by things, I deal with it by crying. A good cleansing, ugly cry. But I didn’t let myself do that until after my eye exam, because my eyes go wonky for a couple days. But I’m past that now, and it’s the weekend anyway, and it’s sunny! Life is busy, but very good!

Linking to Scrappy Saturday for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

15 comments:

  1. I like your yellow blocks! And, yes, a good cry is very catharitic. I keep getting set off by the current events in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always feel better after a good crying session, too...Sometimes you just get overwhelmed,,,
    I like your cheerful bowties a lot--and those cute multi-sized bear paws...nice work despite your overly-busy week..
    hugs for a restful weekend Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, at least you can console yourself that your friend gave you a few hours notice and didn't just arrive on your doorstep.
    Sounds like a very busy week. I always hated having work done on the house because it seemed like the entire place ended up being in a state of turmoil. Apartment life is easier in that regard, although I am contemplating painting the living room. However, from past bitter experience, I know that odds are it will be another case of the galloping ick and one room will lead to far more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that sounds exhausting. I cried all the way through our renovations. It's just so much. Love the yellow blocks, though, and admirable restraint on not adding any of that QFK fabric to your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those yellow blocks! Hope the rest of your renovations go smoothly. We're facing a couple of them this summer and I'm dreading every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did have a busy week! I love getting my glasses at Costco - they're affordable and they do a good job. Love your happy yellow blocks - especially those bow ties!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly had a busy week. I dislike decorating happening in the house. So much so that we should have had several rooms decorated over recent years. Then the pandemic happened and now we discover our decorator is ill and has given up working. On the trail of a new chap. Strange coincidence that you made some Bear Paw blocks this week too. They look great. Hope you have a quieter week coming up with lots more sewing. Pink, that will be a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a lot going on. Hopefully it will all settle down soon when the remodels finish up. It will all be worth it to have beautiful, functional finished spaces to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cathy! What newsy note full of fun things. I'm with you on the short notice Marv gave you. Hmmmmf is right. Thank heavens you found time for a little bit of sewing. I love the layout of those bowtie blocks. They look nifty! Enjoy the weekend. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. I kept getting emails about the March Madness sale & managed to hold myself back! Ha! I kept telling myself to "sew what you have". And a good cry is always in order after a super stressful time. Good job with the cute yellows!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you've been busy. Good job on the blocks you found time for, they look good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the sunny YELLOW/GOLD block you made! Sorry to hear that your week was a bit stressful, Cathy. Wishing you calm in the coming week and sending quilty hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bowties and bear paws!!! Love them in yellow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I suspect that once you get the remodel things done and out of the way, and you get our in your yard and gardens, you'll feel more refreshed and ready to tackle the world again. And what a nice thing to buy all that yardage for charity quilts! That was probably wonderful fun! Crying is necessary at times. Welcome to the crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm late getting to reading post from Saturday and Sunday. We are getting company on Tuesday, so I have been scurrying trying to tidy up! Hope your renovations keep going fairly well. A few hiccups, but good to have a family handyman and contractor. That seems to be the hardest part here. Finding good help. I'm anxious for a "tour"!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!