Friday, June 5, 2020

Tickled Pink

It’s Saturday again, and do you know what that means? Trick question with a trick answer. I have a dentist appointment later this morning to get a crown put on a cracked molar. We went a few days ago for our semi-annual cleaning and all is well there. But my tooth had cracked a couple months ago. I know right when it happened, but I couldn’t see or feel anything except a crunch in what should have been soft chocolate chips. *cough* (Those chips were probably pounds #7 and #8 of my Covid Plus Ten Gained. Six of those are now lost again). But anyway, it’s nice that I can go and just wait at the dentist while they make the crown right there. I’ve got a good book I’m reading (American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins), so I can be doing two things at once.

So, today is also Scrappy Saturday at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC). We’re linking up, as usual, over at Angela’s So Scrappy blog and sharing our progress in knocking back our pink scraps.

First up for me this week was making four Zipper blocks. I had two from last week (the top two) that I changed the accent colors on and I like them better. I plan to do a few of these every month, following along with the RSC color of the month. Since they’ll finish at 6x9”, I plan to make a quilt that’s 10 blocks across by 8 down for 80 blocks and a quilt that’s 60x72”.


Next up were the 6” Twin Sisters blocks - 14 of those.


Then one Scraptastic Star, which is 16.5” unfinished.


Here are the six Scraptastic Star blocks so far. I’m liking this! By the way, this is a free pattern at Melissa Corry’s blog. You can find it here.


And like the Energizer Bunny, I just kept on going. Here are my Split Nine blocks for June. There are 12 of them at 6.5” (unfinished).


And in case that’s not enough pink, I also worked on my Block of the Month block for June at the local quilt shop. Coincidentally, it was also pink.


And here are all of those BOM’s together so far.


That’s not intended to be a final layout. There are three more blocks to go (they measure 12” finished each). I’ll probably add a bit of sashing and use it as a donation quilt because I’m not crazy about it. 

There is plenty more pink to sew - a quilted scrap bucket in pink, all my string blocks and then a Creature quilt. I have started gathering all my pink scraps and pink orphan blocks and miscellaneous pieces. First stop is to pin them up on the design board to see what I have and what size I’ll be working toward. This is going to be a big one. That print on the right below will be the backing. 


In looking at the photo, I think I want to surround that star with those hot pink cracker blocks somehow to make one central medallion/focal point. I’ll also add either hot pink or white strips for the purpose of dividing sections and giving the eye a place to rest. That’s all part of the process, and I’ve got a couple weeks to play with it. This should be a fun one. 

I’ve read that a lot of bloggers are not enjoying the new Blogger changes. I’ve had absolutely no trouble with the new format. Everything is pretty much the same for me (I’m on a one year old iMac) except the initial dashboard. Some buttons are a bit different, but I find them pretty intuitive. And I’ve had no changes or issues with the way my pictures upload. 

Now I’ll finish off the blog post today with some pictures taken a couple days ago. My roses are going gangbusters (except one bush, which is sitting its May bloom out for some reason....). So I’ve got more pictures, just to make Sally jealous. 

Backyard climber with irises

Rose Tree at the front porch

Miniature rose in front planter

Orange Asiatic Lily just opening up

More roses near the front porch

Delphinium in front flower bed

Pink roses, hostas and delphiniums in front planter

It’s going to be another sweltering day here (like yesterday; in the mid-seventies F at 9am). So after the dentist there will be no yard work - just sewing the day away in my cool basement studio. 

22 comments:

  1. Look at your beautiful roses, Cathy - wowie! I love those creature quilts you're making, too - I don't have enough orphan blocks in any one color to do something like that, but it would be a fun project! Have fun at the dentist - always good to get those procedures out of the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have much pink in your stash, but seeing these blocks makes me want to buy....a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Lots of gorgeous blocks! And your flowers are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your PINK blocks and your garden shots are gorgeous!! Knowing you, there will be MORE scrappy goodness to come. I'm looking forward to seeing how Creature from the Bubblegum Factory turns out! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of pretty blocks, beautiful patterns. Good luck with the dentist...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, lots of pretties!

    I think I may have enough pink orphans for a quilt this month too. We'll see if I get around to it.

    I'm jealous of all your roses and lilies. Deer have been eating mine. They ate all of the oriental and asiatic lilies to the ground and they have been slowly eating the roses. They are just starting to bloom so I may be able to see a couple of blooms. And last night I see they trampled my patch of delphiniums. Oh, deer!!! I shall persevere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of lovely pink stitching and beautiful garden photos too. Love that elegant blue delphinium such a gorgeous shade of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Portland Rose Garden would be jealous of those roses...if they were real! Yup...you went just a little bit overboard with Photoshop...and now I know the secret of your quilting block productivity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Your flowers are so gorgeous. You made more than Sally jealous. LOVE that climber rose. I have ZERO real roses for some reason and a couple wild roses that I brought here years ago when we got married from my old house. The yellow rose tree is perfectly trimmed. You have a green thumb!

    I love the cracker blocks around the heart. I know you'll put these together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of pink goodness in your post today! I am not a fan of roses. I mean, they are gorgeous to look at and the colors are amazing, but the rose scent does something to my nose! So thanks for the photos....I can look and not smell!!!
    Good to know that the new Blogger format works well on your iMac. I am in the market for a new laptop. I'm using an old Dell with Windows 7. I've replaced the battery once and it is dying again. I must get on the stick and make a decision on what I want.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cathie, first off, I’m envious you had An apricot tree, they are an absolute favourite of mine. Such a shame you had to lose it. But sounds like your veggies are growing well and your flowers are amazing. A green thumb! As well as a wonderful quilter. A post here so cheery with all the rosy pinks. I always Love to see what you are stitching. Stay safe and cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know where you find he time to sew so much! Such a haul of pink blocks in one week! Beautiful roses; you are fortunate to have well drained soil and a sunny garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, have you been busy, and the month has just begun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great collection of pink blocks as usual, but it's the roses that have my heart this week. That climber is spectacular. Does it rebloom at all? I'm having trouble getting motivated in the garden or for anything else for that matter. Must plant the rest of the annuals today while it's in the 60's or I might as well throw them in the compost. Enjoy your sewing in the cool basement. My basement is cool, but definitely not conducive to sewing.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. This just is additional proof that you are wonder woman! All those projects AND garden photography too. And it's only the first week of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love to see someone quilting with pinks! Makes my heart sing. Yours are all just lovely, as are your garden plants. I wish summer stayed with us much, much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You cracked a tooth on chocolate? How is that even possible? Seems almost traitorous. We give chocolate so much love, and then this happens. Sigh. Glad you were able to get it taken care of quickly. Your blocks and blooms are looking mighty fine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are like the energizer bunny,! Love your gorgeous flowers! We were 103 three days last week were it was 80 by 9:00! Then yesterday it cooled off to 80, today expected to be 73, and then going up again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. All so lovely--BUT I truly love the scraptastic stars--so gorgeous...
    My peony finally bloomed--and my gorgeous ruffled iris got EATEN by the marauding deer...;(((
    Hugs from afar, Julierose P.S. I need to get my "pink on"...am late to the party this month...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm loving those Scraptastic stars!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness - I did giggle at the thought of you "sweltering" with temps in the 70s! All your pink blocks look wonderful - do you think their color may have something to do with their wonderfulness? Beautiful flowers! I'm jealous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my. You've gotten more pink sewn in just the first week than I'm likely to get done in the whole month... (Good for you!)
    Love all your flower pics! And Sally isn't the only one you're making jealous!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!