Saturday, June 20, 2020

Pink Scraps Matter

Today is the official first day of summer! I hope the weather is pleasantly appropriate where you are and that this past week has been good. We made two careful (and masked) trips out to the grocery store and the garden center this week. And then last night we visited my son Ryan’s family at their home for pizza on the patio. It was so nice to see everyone again, even if we all kept our distance and settled for “air hugs”.  Their two kids are our two eldest grandkids. Easton is taking online summer classes as he enters his senior year of college. He has a virtual interview with a US Navy admiral this week that will determine whether he is accepted into their nuclear submarine engineering program after his senior year. Lauren will be a junior in high school. She made the cheer team at school, finally got her driver’s license and a new-to-her car, which she’d been saving years for. Now she drives herself to and from work and cheer practice. Life is good!

I don’t have any finishes to show this week, but I did finish the quilt top for Creature From the Bubblegum Factory.  Here’s a picture hanging on the design wall. There were a couple blocks from the Orphanage that didn’t get “adopted” into this quilt (front or back). But an overwhelming majority did, plus about ten of the 6” string blocks I made last week. 


Here it is pin basted. It’s the first in line to be quilted.


But I still had lots of pink scraps to deal with, so I cut 4.5” squares and sewed them into a sweet little patchwork donation top. Here it is all basted up. I’ll get better picture once they’re quilted.


I’ve had some 2.5” strips sitting around since our last Quilts for Kids meeting in February. They’re ugly (to me) Civil War reproduction fabrics which don’t exactly shout “kids!”. But they were foisted on me (in all likelihood because I kinda sorta volunteered to do something with them).  In that meeting, someone had started sewing the strips together along the long edge, just cutting them at random lengths with a general goal of making a quilt 40” (ish) wide. So, I just continued with that until it was long enough.


There were still strips left, so I sewed them together into 5-strip sets, then cut them in 10.5” squares. Those blocks were set 4x5 for a more interesting layout measuring 40x50”. Sorry for the cut-off picture, but you get the idea.


*********
While I think of it, I just want to mention that the new Blogger has been giving me fits. It keeps turning off or losing or erasing my Comment Notification Emails. Last week I missed getting notified about most of the comments and was unable to respond, except directly within the comments. I apologize. In attempting to fix the problem yet again (this has happened about three times in the last two months), I finally had to revert back to Legacy Blogger. There it allowed me to fix it when the new format wouldn’t. If this continues happening after Legacy goes away, I don’t know what I’m going to do. 
**********

But to end on a happy note, the scraps I won from Sally’s recent giveaway arrived on Friday. This is just a fun sampling of the myriad scraps, but I can hardly wait to get started making more zipper blocks.


In addition to the scraps, there were two little fuzzy balls; one each for Darla and Alfie (no doubt from Molly Kitten and Buddy the cat/dog/pony). Darla and Alfie loved the balls and the box and were content to let me play with the “packing material”. 

Linking up to:  Scrappy Saturday.

21 comments:

  1. Wonderful scrappy projects! I love the pink sampler quilt and it's already pin basted, so it will be finished soon!
    The new blogger is a hot mess for me also. I'm really annoyed at the lask of resources available fore us to learn... we are eager, so please just tell us how... someone!!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wow wow! What a way to make a sampler quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had a chance to visit with your family, Kathy! You make the best orphan block quilts - love the way you put them together! I'm sorry you're having trouble with your comments still - I wonder what is causing that. I have a couple people whose comments never come to my email (and I don't know if that'sa setting on their end or mine), but most usually do. Wish I could offer you some help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m glad to see that you are making entire pink quilts while other RSC folks show off mere blocks. But frankly, I did drop in to see the finished zipper quilt. Blogger must really be slowing you down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! You got FOUR quilt tops ready for quilting? What a productive week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pink quilt with orphan blocks, so cute! I hope Blogger with work properly for you, I just have some missing notifications, like Diann.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooo! Sally sent you a real treasure trove! Have fun with the new goodies!
    And I love your new Creature! Bubblegum factory is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't you been busy, love all your projects.enjoy your summer weather. Today is our "shortest day" down here in New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creature from the Bubblegum Factory - perfect! Sally's goodies look intriguing - no surprise there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your winnings and the Creature quilt is fabulous! So much fun pink!!! I have to say that (for whatever reason) I'm not having too much trouble with the new & improved (HA!) Blogger other than the 3-5 seconds delay when inserting a picture. I found the hardest part was finding where to make a new post. From what I've read on other blogs, I wasn't the only one. Made this old girl feel slightly better. Good luck to Easton. That is quite an endeavor and I hope the Admiral sees a bright future for your grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have so many neat projects going on there;))) I cannot seem to get myself to put things together lately--even my design wall is empty!!;000 Being a whirling dervish doesn't help either!!
    Love that bubblegum one--so improv and neat...nice work...perhaps I should just empty my drawer of false starts and just jumble them higgeldy-piggeldy together...that is how my brain is feeling these days of self isolation...that are going on and on and on....
    (little pity party goin' on here hahaha)
    Anyway, where was I?
    Great way to use up strips you "didn't care for that much"..I seem to have a LOT of those lurking in my stash--like, WHAT was I thinking???

    Stay safe we're not out of the woods yet...hugs from homebase , Julierose

    (songs for all occasions: "I talk to the walls, but they don't listen to me...")

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bubblegum Factory made me chuckle! That's a bit how I feel any all pink quilt looks, like Bazooka Joe started sewing. But those who love pink, LOVE PINK!! So it will make someone very happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bubblegum Factory is a pretty quilt! I'm not especially fond of pink, but you made it work!
    Your grands sound like very mature young people. Of all the money I made babysitting throughout high school not one cent was saved for anything...except maybe some fabric and patterns!
    It's nice to get together with family! We are far from our family, but we did stop by friend's house yesterday for a six feet apart conversation and catch up! We used to have game night every other Friday with them, I miss that so much!
    Today I may have convinced my daughter that my new shelves HAVE to get installed in the sewing room closet. Today is the day. I will trade holding my 6 week old grandson while my daughter and SIL set them up. Then I get to spend the next wekk or so deciding what goes where for maximum sufficiency!
    Stay well, stay happy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm always amazed that you have so many orphan blocks in a single color to create an entire quilt and Bubblegum Factory is the perfect name for this creature quilt. It's nice that Darla and Alfie were willing to let you play with the "packing material" since it's well known that quilter felines are prone to make sleeping accommodations in scraps. Sorry for your blogger issues. It's weird that some people have had little trouble, while others are ready to throw in the towel. Glad I don't have to wrestle with it.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all your pink projects, especially that top from 4-1/2 inch squares. Pink always looks so happy, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the Creature name -- I went back to see the series -- your year-end gallery will be great! Doesn't it feel good to get those CW strips sewn into something and on their way to a new home? And congrats on the giveaway win!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those two with Civil War reprints will be great for boys needing a quilt. I personally love those prints since they, to me, are gender generic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. No finished quilts this week? Gosh, what have you been doing! ;-) No finishes but you were otherwise very productive I see.

    Bubblegum Creature turned out cute. What size is your Creature?

    How does anyone not love CW repros? You just have to find the right pattern. Oh, I think you did with those rails.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How nice to visit with the grandchildren, we did too this past Sunday. Great projects you have going!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Cathy! What fun scraps from Sally and how nice of Molly and Buddy to include some fun for Darla and Alphie. Yeah, those Civil War strips wouldn't have spoken to me but you did a nice job finishing off the quilt top. It will be loved as will the pink one! I hope you are taking care. We still go out infrequently and with masks, and gathering are at a distance with no actual hugs. I hope Bruce is doing well. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm not a fan of pink so I tried to imagine bubble gum in another colour. Purple works! Great quilt though, even though it's not my most favourite of colourways. Carrying on to look at the Civil War fabrics and I'm with you - not my favourites either, and certainly not for most kids. Maybe a donation to Quilts of Valour might be a better option?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!