Saturday, July 27, 2019

The End of Pink... but not the Apricots

Our apricot tree is like the Energizer Bunny ... it just keeps going and going. This week, after taking 4 cases to Weight Watchers. They asked me how many trees we had. When I told theme only one tree, they found it hard to believe until I showed them the picture. Ha! I also took apricots to neighbors and a meeting I attended. That left me with a couple cases to deal with at home. We ate lots of fresh, yummy fruit. And then there were two more batches of jam, several quarts of frozen apricots, an apricot pie and some apricot turnovers. And yes, some went to waste before it could be dealt with. It makes me feel guilty, but on the other hand, I’m only human. We capped the blisteringly hot work week by filling the kiddie pool (meant for grandkids) and getting in it ourselves. We’re nothing if not immature. You’ll keep the secret, right?

And I got a lot of sewing done, too. I don’t know how the hours of some weeks can stretch to accommodate so much, while other weeks ricochet by in an instant. But this was a good, long week. 

First out from under the needle we’re these string blocks. There are 4 that will finish at 9” and 6 that will finish at 4”.


And then there were the bitcoins rows, made from 1.5x2.5" scraps.  These will eventually become part of a border, but I have a new block plan for them for next year.



I also sewed some little scraps and lingering waste triangles into some miscellaneous crumb blocks - two at 6.5" and four at 4.5" (top row, center in picture below). They will go into the Parts Department for eventual inclusion into a future quilt.

And that was the end of my pink scrap sewing for the month.  I'm thrilled to say that it decimated my huge drawer-full of pink scraps. Here is a recap picture of all the Rainbow Scrap blocks that I made in July. I'm linking these up to Angela's Scrappy Saturday post. 

A total of 77 blocks.  But wait, there's more!

I had so many pink scraps, that I sewed two pink quilts for Quilts for Kids. First up, Little Pink Scrap Quilt A (38x48"):



I used leftover 2.5" squares, leftover solid strips and tied the whole thing together with a cute piece of floral fabric - not a scrap, but any use of stash is good! 

Here is a detail of some of the heart and loop quilting I did (shown after quilt was washed).


And here is Little Pink Scrap Quilt B (44x53").  It, too, used leftover squares and strips, plus two 1-yard cuts of fabric (one sparkly, on back, and the hedgehog fabric border). 


I added the two pink quilts to the pile of baby-sized quilts I quilted for Quilts for Kids this month. Five other quilts quilted (sewn by others), plus the two pink ones finished entirely by me.



There is some quilting detail on one quilt I want to show you. I did some free-form loops and stars with variegated thread on this starry blue quilt (sewn by a man!)



So, my quilt finishes for the month are shown below. I'm most thrilled with Crumbcakes, of course on the top left. The Little Pink Scrap Quilt A was goal #9 from my Finish-Along Quarter 3 list, which you can see HERE. I'm particularly thrilled that I did two quilts instead of just one.
And a shout out here to Cousin Kim, who finished this lovely quilt for herself this month: 


It's the last weekend of July, and the summer is half over. Where does the time go? More importantly, DO YOU WANT SOME APRICOTS???????????

21 comments:

  1. You do have a lot of pink scraps and they make so many beautiful blocks and quilts, Cathy! What an amazing apricot harvest you're having, too. Would your local food bank take some off your hands? Maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is amazing pink progress... well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! When you pull all the photos and put them together -- quite an accomplishment! And all this done during apricot season. Quite a show there, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love every last one of the pink quilts! My favorite color-cannot have too much pink!
    Lively production rate! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful array of "Pink-i-ness" Lovely work this month...kudos on your productivity...amidst all the apricot-ing-ness..)I like making up words hahaha)
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of pink! I love all the blocks you come up with. Maybr next year I'll play along with the rainbow scrap challenge again and see if I can keep up with you. (Ha, right!) As for the apricots, how about putting them on a table at the end of the driveway with a "free to a good home" sign? I've seen it done with zucchini and those are far more common than apricots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pink blocks. Would love some apricots. Too bad I probably don't live near you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL apricots go off fast let alone in the heat, so you have done very well indeed to deal with the majority of them! Love your crumb quilt, and the pink four patch. Its not my favorite colour, but seeing it like this makes me change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my. Lots and lotd of pink goodness happening at your home. Love all your quilts and blocks! I like your term "parts department." I've been saying orphan block box. No more. I like parts department better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many lovely pink ideas. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YOU are the energizer bunny with all of those pink blocks and especially dealing with all of those apricots! You were quite creative with the apricots. How about setting up at the local farmer's market?

    ReplyDelete
  12. As I responded in an earlier post, I wish I was close to you as I loved to take some apricots off your hands (or your tree). You had a very productive month both fruit-wise and quilt-wise. The on and off again heat has kept me from getting much done in any area (quilting, weeding, housework, ha-ha).
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you are "in the pink"!!! Great collection of blocks.
    I am very partial to Crumbcakes! It is a perfect mash up of colors and fun! You sew such lovely quilts!
    We've had far too much excitement here and I suffer from PTSD, anyway. The field across the road from us caught fire from an idiot who didn't heed our county burn ban. Of course, the wind was blowing just right and the fire headed directly to our property! Long story short, our firefighters are the best (and most handsome! tee hee) and the fire was put out. It did start back up in a few spots later and my daughter along with a neighbor soaked the hot spots! Too much excitement for these old bones!
    I hope you have a peaceful day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd LOVE to have some apricots! DH doesn't like them, so I rarely bring them home, alas. The Little Pink quilts are cute and will be greatly appreciated. But I agree, Crumbcakes rules the roost this month! Super finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My goodness, you have been a whirlwind in the sewing room! Great results indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely finish for your pinks. I have been drooling over your eye for country for weeks now. My daughter went shopping and actually bought me some of the small apricots like your tree. I hadn’t had any for years and years and it was such a treat. I do miss them where we Lived before Silicon Valley gobbled up all the orchards.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So good to see you in the pink! That is quite the hoard of beautiful quilts and quilt blocks! Would love some apricots, but you live too far away.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Cathy, I'd absolutely love some apricots. Love all the pink blocks you have displayed in this post. Thank goodness for the RSC, otherwise you would be swimming in both apricots and scraps. I could picture you giggling and splashing in the kiddie pool. That you keep your inner child alive and well is a sign of maturity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd so happily take some apricots - but I doubt they could cross over the border and would, no doubt, spoil before they ever got here. A girl can dream though! You've done well with getting rid of pink scraps - now the question is, what will you put in the space you've cleared out?

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a lot of pink! You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!