Saturday, November 17, 2018

A Rainbow Scrap Finish

FINALLY.  Exploding Boxes is a finished quilt!  Excuse me while I do a happy dance....

OK, I’m back. Yesterday I finished the binding and rushed to get pictures (alone, indoors, because Bruce - my quilt holder-upper - was at work) before the weak winter light faded. As I bound the quilt, I was careful to ensure the edges were straight, LOL.


Since I do all my bindings by machine, I sew them onto the back first.


Then I flip it to the right side and machine stitch it down. It’s more secure, and one never knows if the quilt will end up with kids or a charity, so the machine binding is peace of mind for me.

So, here is Exploding Boxes. There may or may not be a cat hiding underneath, LOL.


The quarter log cabin blocks were one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks for this year. They finished at 6”, so this quilt measures 60” x72”.  I loved every part of this construction and have really developed a fondness for string projects. I see many more of them in my future!  I’m linking up to Angela’s Scrappy Saturday post, where many of us the world over are finishing up our 2018 RSC projects and showing them. Come check it out!

Here is the back of Exploding Boxes. I found this glorious scrappy-look plaid fabric earlier this year while doing the Utah Shop Hop in June. I only bought 2.5 yards (should’ve doubled that!), but it was a great excuse to use up some random chunks and fat quarters to finish off the back.


Exploding Boxes is also goal #10 on my 4th Quarter 2018 Finish-Along goal list. You can see that list HERE. This completes six out of my 10 goals; I hope to get at least one or two more done before year-end. The quarter-end linky party is HERE.


Isn’t it such a wild, happy quilt?? This may end up being a keeper.

Did I tell you that we plan to do some remodeling in the hallway so I can expand our linen closet? I’m dead serious. It’s always been on our wish-list, but now more so than ever. Not only because we have a lot of quilts linens to store, but because two certain felines (who shall remain nameless) have figured out how to open the sliding doors that cover the closet (a la 1960’s-style homes). Since we removed the carpeting and went back to hardwood floors, there’s a gap at the bottom of the doors, and they use it to paw the doors open so they can crawl up and sleep on the quilts, in the dark, cozy shelves.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
This week I also got the Christmas Tree Skirt layered, spray basted and quilted. I now just need to trim and bind it. I found some cute pink polka dot bias tape - I used to sell it in my Etsy shop - and had luckily saved a 5-yard cut for myself for “one day”. It turns out that it’ll be just enough to bind the circular tree skirt.

On the white wedges, I quilted a leaf vine. I know these pictures don’t show the quilting very well, but the back is that zig-zag print, so it’s no better that way!


On the zig-zag wedges I quilted a ribbon candy-type loop pattern.


And the candy wedges just got some swirls of increasing size down the center.


After these pictures were taken, they all got some ditch stitching between wedges and the white wedges also got some straight lines stitched 1/4” inside the seamline. I plan to finish up the tree skirt this weekend.

During the next week, I’ve got a few goals lined up. First, I’ll finish the final pieced tree secret gift project. Next I’ll sew the pinned row - shown last week - to my On Ringo Lake project. No progress was made on it this week at all, and once that row is sewn on, it’s coming down from the design wall for a break. Thirdly, I need to focus on All You Need is Love for my daughter. It’s going to be a Christmas (or birthday, since her birthday is mid-December) present. It’s also my One Monthly Goal for November, and I’d better get cracking on it! I’d love to finish that before the new Bonnie Hunter mystery begins the day after Thanksgiving, but I’ll settle for finishing it by month-end.

Thanks for dropping by!

21 comments:

  1. Congrats on your lovely RSC finish!! I always knew that I would like this quilt when it was finished. With the arrangement and the colors you chose, you have pushed me over the edge. I absolutely LOVE this quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m doing a happy dance right along with you! Fabulous colors— congratulations on getting it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exploding Boxes is wonderful, Cathy! And that backing is perfect for it - I would live to find some of that for my rainbow quilts. Your tree skirt looks like it's going to be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Explosion of your boxes ;))) lol just a gorgeous happy quilt...great pattern which you did a fabulous job with....
    I am still working on my Secret Santa 3 projects...i have the first one layered and pinned and will wait til all 3 are done to switch over to my quilting foot...Helga prefers it that way ;)))
    Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exploding boxes is a fabulous quilt and your backing fabric is perfect.

    Are you sure you aren't talking about my two kitties? They work together to open doors and cupboards, even locked ones. Gotta love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is a wonderful colorful quilt - nice job

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your exploding boxes quilt is wonderful. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the exploding boxes is truly wonderful. I love how the layout makes it look like some of the boxes are appliqued on top. It also looks like a lot of fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this colorful quilt! I can understand why you want to keep it for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you see me doing a happy dance for you? I love, love, LOVE Exploding Boxes!! It looks like a big pile of candy and I want to dive right into it :)

    I'm adding it to my big list of potential RSC projects for 2019. Did you make a set number of blocks out of each color? Or as many as your scraps allowed?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a brilliant quilt - I love your Exploding Blocks! So 3D, they jump out at you. Well done on the backing, it's gorgeous. And the tree skirt too. My goodness, you have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that Exploding Boxes quilt. The fabric you used on the backing was a find. I'm going to participate in RSC 2019 and have been looking at easy blocks and also some I just love and want to try. I'm pretty sure I don't have enough SCRAPS, but I'm sure I have lots of yards that are scrap wannaBs. Your cats are pretty smart. It's amazing how clever animals are. Maybe I'll do a post about how smart my pooches are at opening closed doors, lol
    Happy Thanksgiving.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheerful, happy quilt, perfect backing. I love the 3-D look of the boxes. Don't you wish you would realize how great a backing certain fabrics would be, so that you would buy more of them? Happens to me all the time. I'm going to put this one on my to-do list, but I really need to finish some of the WIP RSC projects first.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!! That exploding boxes packs a wollop!! I LOVE it!!! and the cat hiding underneath ha ha!!
    Great job and congrats on such a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Exploding Boxes is a great quilt! (With or without the cat underneath!) So much color makes it such a happy quilt. Love the backing too. Congratulations on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the finish! Oh, yes...that happy quilt will surely chase away the winter blues. I've never gotten the hang of binding by machine. I guess because I can't sew straight and the stitching is all crooked on the back. I like string quilts too and am going to concentrate on using those scraps next year since I significantly reduced crumbs this year. Looking forward to your string projects.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely LOVE your Exploding Boxes quilt! It is such a happy quilt. I'm going to have to copy yours so I can have one of my own.
    I was going gang busters on a couple of projects in the quilting loft, until it all came to a screeching halt while I prepare for company. My oldest daughter (may be) flying up from California for Thanksgiving. I say maybe, because the airport in San Francisco has had to cancel flights due to the thick smoke coming from the fires north of there. I hope she can get up here. She has worked so hard to get the vacation time from work (An almost impossible task, since she's a surgical technician) We'll see, gotta keep my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Cathy! Such happy, bright quilts you have shared with us. I love each one more than the next and would be hard pressed to pick a favorite. I l.o.v.e Exploding Boxes though!! So COOL! Happy Sunday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE your Exploding Boxes! (But your first photo had me confused - I was eyeing that 'patchwork' and thinking "I don't remember her piecing anything like that..." !)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your exploding boxes, it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG .... what a delightful quilt! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!