Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Classes and Goodies from CQ Adventure


I’m rather late posting today because I was watching DGD London all day, and she wore me out!  :-)   Well, that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it....

One of the things I was really looking forward to - and I was not disappointed - was taking classes from Sharon Boggon, Allie Aller, and Betty Pillsbury.  I’ve had the pleasure of taking classes years ago from Betty, including a week at the John Campbell School in 2001.  So, I knew I was in for a treat again.  But it was a triple treat! All three teachers were excellent. Each had their own unique style and sense of humor. They were all very clear and patient with their lessons and explanations, guiding us along as we learned new techniques.  I kept a journal for Sharon’s 3-day stitch workshop (so many new stitches and motifs!), but ended up relying on my camera and examples from Betty’s and Allie’s classes.

Day 1  - Sharon Boggon.  I didn’t take pictures in this one-day class; instead, I concentrated on learning new and reviewing other stitches we learned in the 3-day workshop earlier in the week (see pictures from previous post here).

In the evening, Betty Pillsbury gave a great talk on crazy quilts.  Renee and I were her helpers (or “slaves” as Betty so lovingly put it, LOL).  We held up the quilts and other stitched pieces and took them around for everyone else to see and photograph.  Following are 4 pictures of some of the antique pieces Betty showed, which I snapped later on when they were out on display.





Day 2 - Betty Pillsbury’s class.  Another fun day!  We painted on velvet, making paddle-fans.  Below is my effort (sans the handle, which we are to finish outside of class).


Although I did my satin flower with the satin fabric I brought, the satin was too heavy and it didn’t drape well.  I threw it away (yes, another flower in the garbage. Some readers will recognize a pattern in that behavior). Betty was a riot, and did a great job of explaining basic stitches in ergonomic, muscle- and tendon-friendly ways.


And then, when I asked to snap a class picture, Ruth-Ellen decided to give Betty bunny-backs.  I wonder WHO put her up to it ?!?   :-)


In the evening, Shirlee Fassell gave a really interesting and funny talk about her creative journey with cross stitch, crazy quilting and using the tambour hook.   Here is one of her masterpieces.


Our hilarious Mistress of Ceremonies, Susan Elliott (in pink) coaxed Maureen up to the front and presented her with flowers and other tokens of affection from the group.


Check out some of Shirlee Fassell’s framed work on the left.   Then check out Susan being silly on the right. 

Day Three:  Allie’s class.  What a joyous, fun day!  It was like being kids again, stitching, cutting, painting and having a blast....  I wish I could say that the below two pictures were my work, (well, I could say it, but it wouldn’t be true).... but they are Allie’s work.
   

You can see more of Allie’s gorgeous floral celebrations on her blog.  In fact, while you’re there, check out her pictures from the Adventure if you haven’t already!


This is my sad little piece (below).  But you must admit, I’m pretty darn brave to post it, LOL!  It should make you other ladies who were creating gorgeous bloom after gorgeous bloom feel so smug!  No, it is not arranged as a composition yet.  They’re just gathered up to show you some of the things I was working on. Most need to be finished in one way or another, and leaves and stems added.  It was such fun, I want to make lots more flowers to add to it.  It will eventually be a floral sampler to hang in my studio.


I was sitting between Diane Matheson and Gerry Krueger.  Hopefully they will both post pictures of their flower creations because they were just gorgeous!

Here are the motifs I received in the Motif Swap.  Thank you to all you lovely ladies who so generously shared your talents!   (The motifs I created can be seen here).


Thank you to all the ladies who were so generous with your gifties and trades.  I know I didn’t get everything in the picture, but every one of you dear friends is deeply appreciated!


And dear Freda not only gave me the silver owl, but also this amazing vintage child’s apron for my granddaughter London!  I was absolutely blown away!  Thank you, Freda!


The teachers were generous, too.  Sharon provided us with a lot of threads, some sequin waste and a beading tray. And a couple other things, too.   This “booty” is both from the 3-day workshop and the one-day Adventure class.


And then Maureen gifted us with precious treasures at every turn.  Every day of the workshop and every day of class, she had some little packet prepared for everyone.  Silk, lace, vintage images, needles, gimp (see center front).  And do you see the felt flower with chenille sticking out? (lower left quadrant). That’s a needlecase that Reen made herself.  One for every lady who attended!  She started those in January to get them prepared in time!  Unbelievable!  Thank you for all your kindnesses, Reen!!


OK, if you’re still with me (I know this is a long post), I just wanted to show you the goodies I purchased at the vendor boutique.



Actually, I won the set of pastel silk velvet (below) in the door prize giveaway.  I had already bought the bright velvets, above.  The vintage laces and threads were purchased from Maureen.  She has amazing things.  Check out her shop, Maureen’s Vintage Acquisitions.


Tomorrow I’ll blog about our Girls Day Out in New York City.  See you then!

Hugs, 
Cathy maroon

7 comments:

  1. Wow Cathy looks like a dream trip. I am glad you had such a wonderful time. Your goodies are awesome. Now we will get to see gobs of posts about all the lovely things you make with it all:)

    You doubt yourself way to much. I thought your flowers were so lovely!!

    Hugs to you!

    Ann Flowers
    flowerscrazyq@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. What lovely flowers you created in Allie class. YUP, Lovely. VBG Wow what fantastic photos you have shared, Thanks a million. And loved see all the goodies. So many neat things it was overwhelming. LOL Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you came home with a lot of loot, wonderful memories, closer friendships and new knowledge. can't get any better than that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great post Cathy! I need to get some photos up as well. Everyone was so kind to bless me with the swap items even though I didn't have time to do my part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Cathy, It looks like way too much fun!! Your peice turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy, your posts really capture the spirit of our Adventure. Thank you so much for these! and also thanks for your kind words about my class... ;-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you had a great time......you came away with some great loot!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!