Saturday, September 2, 2023

Dancing in September

I love September! The worst heat of the summer is behind us, as is most of the work in the garden.  Speaking of the garden, I went out on Thursday morning and harvested vegetables (it had been three days, yikes!). There were lots of Armenian cucumbers that were ready; at least 8. Plus I had to throw three giant ones into the compost pile. Thursday was also my granddaughter London’s birthday, and she and her dad (my son Shane) were over in the evening for dinner out and a tour of the garden. At that time, I found another monster cucumber growing that I had missed and had to throw away. Then on Friday morning, I decided to make another trip out to the garden, and what did I harvest? Seven more cucumbers! Plus another giant for the compost pile.

I tell you, zucchini has NOTHING on these prolific cucumbers. Every week I’m taking at least a dozen to my Weight Watchers meeting. The neighbors, like Bruce, are getting tired of cucumbers!! Three Armenian cucumber plants could feed a third world country. I’m afraid to go out there this morning. We have a running joke this year that if an hour or two has passed, one of us should go out and check the cucumbers......

During the last week, it was my goal to finish the last 9 of the 50 needed 8” Sawtooth Stars for the Christmas Stars quilt I’m making. Here are my “FIFTY”. Can you see the problem?

Yeah, so someone (who shall remain nameless) apparently forgot to cut out the last ten block parts. So, in sewing the “last nine”, it brought me up to 40, not 50. Oh snap! *facepalm* And I had so wanted to be done with this size star in August. It looks like I’ll be sewing the actual last ten 8” blocks over the next week. Toward that goal, I DID get them cut out for real.

But there was one finish this week - the On the Farm little quilt I was making with the yellow string blocks (the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for August) and other pieces from my stash. This little cutie finished at 38x43.5”.


I had just enough of the darling farm fabric for the squares and border, and just enough chambray for the inner stop border and the backing/binding. I love it when a plan comes together! Here’s a closeup of the print (and the simple stipple quilting):


The backing and label:


September will be dedicated to our Aqua and Teal scraps in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, but other than sorting my scraps I haven’t really started sewing with them yet. I think I’m being held back by cucumbers. At least, that’s my story....

When Londy and her dad were here on Thursday, she decided she wanted to go out in the front yard and snap some photos. She had left her own cell phone home (voluntarily! She’s 14 - is that normal?). Anyway, she snapped some photos in the front flower beds with her dad’s phone, and I’m going to share a few here (unedited) to close out the post. Have a great week!




See the bumblebee?


.... off to check on the cucumbers. If I’m not back by next week, call for help....

15 comments:

  1. Armenian cukes....channeling Bruce's forebears? LOL. The flower photos are wonderful! You'll get those stars finished in no time. And now you can start on aqua!

    ReplyDelete
  2. London did a great job with the photos. I'm wondering what an Armenian cucumber tastes like ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the Farm turned out so well. Lovely combination of yellow Strippy blocks and the cute farmyard fabric. London took some great photos of your flowers and the butterfly and bee posed nicely too! Gorgeous delphinium! Dad always grew them at home and I’ve tried in two of the gardens we’ve had had but have never been successful. I always blamed our clay soil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the Farm - adorable quilt! I've never heard of that type of cucumber before. How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend here who grows those cucumbers, too. It must have been a good year for cucumbers - even my regular variety produced like crazy. I've been making a lot of refrigerator dill pickles! On the Farm is darling, Cathy! That farm print is so perfect with your string blocks. Such a great quilt for a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the farm is such an adorable quilt, Cathy!! I love those string blocks used that way...
    Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I see the bees. The stripe on the les of the butterfly too. Awsome !
    Never heard or seen that type of cucumber... humm. What do they taste like

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your little farm quilt with the sunny yellow string blocks, everything goes so nicely together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never heard of Armenian cucumbers! Do they taste like English ones? The farm quilt is adorable, and I'll bet you have that star quilt done lickety split. I've done the same thing and it's always a disappointment to open the project box and realixe you forgot to cut the rest. It will finish soon, though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m not familiar with Armenian cucumbers either. I don’t want to have to “put up” pickles, so I just am on the receiving end from friends. Getting lazy in my old age! Love the yellow farm quilt! Darling fabric and a perfect match up with the string blocks! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh oh! I forgot to mention London’s photography! It’s great! She got some awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like your cucumbers have to be related to zucchini. They certainly look good (I can say that because I haven't had any yet this summer).
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who runs out of fingers and toes to count on...hee hee.
    The yellow strips set off that fabulous farm fabric perfectly. And...London is a great photographer. Capturing a bee and a butterfly isn't easy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the useful information and resources you've shared

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoops! Sorry about the Christmas block miscount, Cathy. Congrats on your donation quilt finish! How is your supply of AQUA scraps? Happy to the birthday girl and please be sure to tell her that she has an incredible talent for nature photography!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!