Friday, August 25, 2023

Welcome to the Jungle

Strange week. It seems as though there are so many family members (3) going through some serious or potentially serious health issues. Cousin Carrie (Kim’s sister) was diagnosed with liver and pancreatic cancer about two weeks ago. She’s had scans and biopsies, and the results aren’t good. I’m not going to go into details, but suffice it to say that we’re reeling.  Next,  my daughter Megan found a lump on her thigh. They did a scan of that this week and found out it was a benign lipoma, or fatty tumor. Thank goodness! Then my brother Steve is having issues with something in his throat affecting his swallowing. He was supposed to have that checked out, but somehow ended up getting a carotid artery ultrasound instead, which is just a baseline test for persons in their sixties. So, when I talk to him and start asking questions, he flew off the handle when I tried to clarify his conflicting statements. That’s so Steve. Arrrrghhh...   

But let’s talk about the sewing, because that is certainly much more cheery!

I finished the two quilts that I wanted to make out of the Happy Blocks I made as one of my Rainbow Scrap blocks this year.  My friend Ruby gave me some cute jungle fabric, and I planned to frame the 6.5” centers with 2.5” strips to make Happy Blocks. I chose 5 coordinating colors; red, blue, green, orange and yellow. When each color came up for its turn in the RSC, I made 10 blocks. I ended up with fifty blocks.

One quilt uses 20 blocks in a 4x5 setting, and the other uses 30 blocks in a 5x6 setting. 

Here’s the first one, measuring 40x50”. The color stripes are horizontal.


The backing is a cute multi-colored kid print, and my feeble mind cannot remember where it came from. Anyway, both quilts were quilted with a simple meander (stipple).

The second larger quilt measures 50x60”, and the color strips are set vertically.



The backing is this cute little multi-colored crayon print that I picked up from Hancock’s of Paducah last year (on deep discount).

In between quilting the jungle quilts, I was sewing the last of my yellow scraps into eight 6.5” crumb blocks. No plan for these yet....

I also sewed 15 more of these 8.5” Sawtooth Star blocks for the Christmas Stars quilt I’m making for my son and daughter-in-law.  I have nine left of this size and will get them polished off in the coming week. Then I can start on the 89 4” stars, which I’ve given myself September and October to finish.

In September, I’ll be tackling the Framed Four-Patch blocks which were a RSC’22 project. I have enough to make three quilts. Here is the first one slapped up on the design board. It’s using only the red and orange blocks.

I haven’t even started to work on the layout yet; in fact, some of the blocks haven’t even been trimmed yet. Hopefully I’ll have a top to share next week.

With that, I’m going to sign off. My friend Ruby and I are headed up to Park City to do some shopping today (retail therapy) - we both need to get out of the house and do something fun! Talk to you next week!

Linking to Scrappy Saturday for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge

14 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your family's health issues. Sending prayers and courage your way.
    Love the two finished quilts. Perfect kids quilts. Lots of 4" stars to sew. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your quilts are wonderful, hope all in your family will be well we have some health issues going on in my family too it can be stressful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending positive energy to your ailing relatives and to you for being there to support them. It's not easy being old(er). Lots of fun quilts under way. I'm so impressed with how much you accomplish.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry about those health issues hitting your family;((( will say some prayers for them to be resolved with good results....
    You are certainly moving your projects along well. I am about to embark on hand quilting Autumn Stars..that will be a longer project for sure...Have a good week and enjoy your retail therapy...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin, Cathy, but so glad your daughter's tumor is benign. Brothers can be a challenge - ask me how I know - but hopefully they will figure out your brother's issue, too. Meanwhile, you got some sweet quilting therapy! Those Happy Block quilts are exactly that - happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun cute quilts! I really like the little framed 4 patch blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your two finished Jungle Happy blocks quilts. So kid friendly! Enjoyed reading about the other sewing projects, a lot going on. Sorry to hear about the sickness problems in your family, always hard to deal with. Best wishes to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to read about your family health issues. The jungle happy block quilts look great, well done. I have a framed 4 patch top waiting go be layered and quilted, although I'm sure you will get your one completed well ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sorry about the health problems in your family. It seems to happen in bunches like that doesn't it.
    The jungle quilts look like such fun and I know they are going to be well loved by whoever gets them.
    And 89 four inch blocks? Eighty nine?!!!! Good thing I'm sitting down...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sewing is so therapeutic when other aspects of life are reeling. I'm sorry for the diagnoses -- but happy to see the cheerful results of your sewing sessions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving those Happy Rainbow Jungle quilts! “It doesn’t rain but what it pours”, it seems. Sending best wishes in all fronts! Hope you felt revived and refreshed after your trip to Park City! You’ll have to send me the name of the quilt shop. We go right through there when we go to California! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've been very busy! Happy Blocks are so perfect for kid's quilts with cute prints in the middle like that jungle print. So sorry that your family is facing health crises.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The framed-four-patch quilt is really catching my eye. Love how you alternated them. ~~Kathy S.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!