Saturday, August 19, 2023

Sewing Sunny Yellow and Walking at the Farm

My life has taken a turn for the mundane. Maybe it’s just the dog days of August, or maybe what seemed fresh and new in the spring and early summer is now wearing on me. By the time the seasons are about to change, I’m more than ready for a change too. Does that happen to you? And although Autumn should be making itself felt by this time next month, and it’s my favorite season, I always dread the long dark winter that follows. But no matter - for now there is lots of sunshiney yellow scrappy sewing coming out from under my sewing machine needle. And I have some more peaceful Wheeler Farm photos from our walk there this week. Shall we get started?

I decided this week was going to be dedicated to turning this pile of strings and strips into 6.5” string blocks. 

When the dust settled, there were a total of 45 blocks. The first thirty are pinned to the design board, shown in two batches of 15 blocks each, which is how I turn them over to our chapter of Quilts for Kids to use in kits.


The last 15 blocks were set aside to go with this chunk of cute farm fabric and some chambray that will make up a cute little farm-themed quilt. I’ll be sewing that top over the weekend. It could possibly be a finished quilt by next weekend, but at least by the end of the month.  As well, I’m hoping to baste, quilt and finish the two jungle happy block tops. 


I also sewed eight 6.5” Split Nine blocks in yellow. I’ll be linking up to Scrappy Saturday for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.


I did get some more Sawtooth Stars sewn - these will be 8” finished. I’m way behind on the productivity rate I’d hoped to achieve on these, but I’m still hoping to get all the 8” stars done by month end. The only trouble is that in my quilt plan I switched out one row of smaller stars, which was going to be (20) 4” stars. Instead I’ll be doing 10 of the larger 8” stars. So that means I have to sew a total of 50 of those - and I only have 16 done presently.

Here are the eight I sewed this week:


And here they are with their eight friends from last week.


I need to pick up the pace!

On Wednesday, Cousin Kim came over and the three of us (Kim, me and Bruce) went walking at our favorite place - Wheeler Farm. We didn’t see the fox this time, darn!  But I snapped a few serene photos. 

Looking north toward the big milking barn and the milk house.

With the Ice House at the right, the north pond turns into a small creek

The same pond from the south looking north (different buildings, though).


For some reason, the ducks prefer the southern pond!

That’s it for this week. What have YOU been up to??

To my friends and family in Southern California, please stay safe. We’re all sending good thoughts to you!

13 comments:

  1. you have a lot of yellow I need to get more of them in my stash

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my yellow scrap bin was already cut into strings. LOL The farm quilt with the yellow string blocks is going to be adorable with the farm print and the blue. Great idea for using those string blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was determined to stay away from blog reading until I got some solid work in on the non-quilting project that I have got to finish.......but here I am. Love your sunshine blocks! I keep thinking it is later than it is--there's still 12 days left of August. But school started this past week so maybe that's why I think it should be September. Last evening I began sewing yellow with blue for something new!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many pretty yellow's in your stash. What sunny and fun blocks they create. The farm is a pretty place to walk and I love the pond! I miss seasons.... fall is my favorite as well but we really don't get one here in Florida. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy you are a speedy Ojos block maker for sure--so pretty in yellows...
    I have no more hand quilting to do on hand so I picked up some redwork to keep my hands busy...we are having a glorious 74 degree day here with low humidity...I am doing some
    sloth-style sitting and watching those drifting puffy clouds sail by...aaah hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are pretty yellow strings, Cathy! That farm print will be cute with them, and the lovely blue, too. It's so nice to have a place like the farm to walk - those are my favorite kinds of places to go. Even though it is getting to be what I think of as "late summer" here, we've gotten very hot and dry again, so summer is not done with us yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That photo with the ice house looks like it could be a scene on a jigsaw puzzle. How nice to have such a serene place to walk close by. I have sidewalks to walk in our village, but there is alway traffic noise and barking dogs to disturb the tranquility. I don't know how you sew string blocks so quickly. They take me forever. Autumn will be here before you know it (our high yesterday was 68 degrees with a bracing wind), so enjoy these fleeting summer days.
    Pat

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lime your plans for the farm quilt, I'll have to wait patiently for that to be finished. You reminded me, I've got piles of string blocks from RSC 2022, wonder where I put them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, what a lot of yellow string blocks you made. Loved how you organised the strips ready for sewing. The little farm quilt will be delightful. Enjoyed your photos of Wheelers Farm. It looks such a peaceful place to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blown away by your 45 yellow strip blocks. What a productive week you had. That farm novelty fabric is too precious. It looks great with yellow blocks and blue fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love ALL the sunny strip blocks. What a peaceful walk the three of you had. Right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are the second person I've seen using that particular farm fabric. Will be fun to see what you do with it.
    I don't think your week was mundane at all because it seems to me you accomplished a lot. As for me, I've been working on yet another landscape. It seems I might be a tad bit obsessed with them!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowza, Cathy! What a lot of YELLOW blocks!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!