Saturday, July 24, 2021

The Thunderstorm From Hell

On Thursday night we finally got rain. It was a welcome relief, or at least it started that way. It came pouring down. Lightening, thunder, winds. And then the winds turned angry and decided to see if they could blow us all the way to Kansas or something. It was about 7:00 in the evening, and still light before the storm clouds gathered. Once the heavens broke loose with everything, however, it was almost dark. There was even a period of time as the wind howled through the trees of the neighborhood and the rain slashed down (or more accurately, slashed across) that we could not see across the street. It lasted about 10-15 minutes and then moved off, but the damage was done. This picture was taken just before I was finally able to go outside, but it was taken through a bedroom window. 


That’s Mort, our 11-year old maple tree. May he Rest In Peace. Notice in the picture below how our portion of the lawn is dry because we adhere to the city’s twice-per-week watering schedule. Our neighbor apparently does not. This thundershower aside, we are in the midst of Utah’s worst drought ever.


Mort has sustained a fatal injury and will need to be cut down, a job for a contractor with two arms. Two neighbors came by with a chain saw and helped cut the fallen limb down and haul it out to the street. There are lots of brokcn and uprooted trees in the neighborhood, so Murray City says they’ll be by next week to pick up the debris. We have lots of limbs of other trees to haul out to the curb


Bruce has to tie up my rose tree since its ties came loose from the stake and it is curved gracefully to the ground. Luckily, it’s not broken and will be fine.


Now, if that were the worst of it, I could live with it. But while the storm was raging, I decided to go into my basement studio to make sure everything there was alright. It wasn’t. There was water pouring in through the window casing and soffit above my ironing board and between my two fabric shelves.  Here’s an “after” picture of the area involved.


The blinds were attached to the soffit/casing above (as opposed to the sides). They came down. Bruce ran and got towels while I moved the ironing board, quilts, fabric and shelves away (it’s amazing how strong and quick you can be in a moment of panic!) Here’s the soffit:


Yuk. It looks to me like there’s mold there - perhaps the problem has been around longer than we think. We don’t know if it’s the window that’s leaking or what. It’s one of two windows in the house we did not replace because it was already double paned. The picture below is the paneling that’s on that wall - you can see how it has bubbled. And that bubbling is just from the last year since I had it repainted. Some of that bubbling was there before, but I naively thought it was from the steam of the iron. *slaps head* That’ll teach me to wait until a problem becomes a PROBLEM.


Here’s the window area from the outside (note the lovely clump of weeds...). No apparent issues with the bricks or foundation. The water did not come from above, because this area sits just below the master bedroom, and that wall and carpet and ceiling are just fine. It’s not the roof because that’s not very old either. To me, it almost HAS to be the window, because water will travel and follow the path of least resistance.


Our insurance (Safeco) has been great so far, but I’ve made it clear that I don’t want them to just cut a check for estimated damages. I want an expert out here to troubleshoot the issue and determine what caused the problem. We want to know the cause and get it fixed once and for all so it won’t happen again. At least I can finally replace those prehistoric window coverings!

But, hey, other than *THAT*, it’s been a great week!

Here are the dark blue blocks I sewed this week for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Twelve string blocks of dark blue with black and white.


Twelve waffle blocks that I made into three 10.5” blocks.


And two quilts that I finished up before the disaster, but didn’t photograph until afterwards. So please excuse the makeshift arrangements. I’ve had to move a lot of stuff around to clear the area by the window. The pain of upheaval is real!

The Space quilt I’d so looked forward to playing with turned into a big MEH. Why cut up a perfectly good panel when it’s fine as is? And I saw other ones online (this is an older panel) where it was left intact, so I thought, why not?  I added the red and blue space fabric, which it turns out was from that same exact line of fabric. The back is just more of the blue.


But I did enjoy putting together this blue string quilt - Stringing the Blues. It finished at 42x48”.


Into the pile of quilts for Quilts for Kids it goes. Our next workshop will be in mid-August, so I’ll continue collecting and sewing more little quilts until then.

Have a great week, friends. We are about 8 days away from leaving on our trip to Missouri Star Quilt Company for a retreat. We (meaning Cousin Kim and the 2 others; not Bruce) plan to be very careful, masking up, social distancing, etc etc. The Delta variant is raging in Missouri (and here too) because - I’m just going to say it - some people are too ignorant to get vaccinated. One of my sons is one of them (although he just says he’s too busy). Not too busy to die, though. I don’t wish it on anyone, but geez..... *End of Rant* and *End of Post* xo

23 comments:

  1. Yikes! That’s way too much carnage for a single week. And even without a structural engineering degree, we all know that the force of all your quilt making weakened the wall. And hopefully the fix won’t be more disruptive than the damage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely get to the root of your leaking problem. We ignored a little stain on the ceiling until we could actually see water dripping. The mold on the fireplace wall was awful; apparently it had leaked since 2003. Have fun in Hamilton. My Suffrage Quilt (Perfect 36) is supposed to be on exhibit in the MO Quilt Museum starting August 1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That leak is dire get that under control asap! I have dealt with mold problems and you don't want them!
    As for the spac-e-man blanket a quick fix for the bleah problem may be to cut it apart at the straight line on the top, cut the bottom blue in half and splammo it between the top row and bottom. might take you 20 minutes? Not a huge change but might balance the look of the over all quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a time for you guys! You're right on about finding out where that leak came from and getting it all the way fixed. Meanwhile, I love your blue string quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. RIP Mort;(((..glad you didn't sustain any more damage from downed trees...sorry about that window giving way, though..that is a tough one!! Hope your ins. agent can pinpoint the problem for you...

    I love that string piece with all the lighter blocks centered--sooo pretty!!
    Meanwhile,
    I am on strict resting, no sewing at the machine or cutting or diamond painting--
    bah-humbug!! Hoping this PT will come to my rescue--am getting restive and just a wee bit irritable!! --YA THINK??
    Hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! You hope and pray for rain and, well, when it rains it pours. I hope that you'll be able to get the right diagnosis (and that the repairs can be done economically and quickly without having to replace the paneling). And still and all you got some wonderful blue projects done! Your upcoming quilt expedition sounds grand despite the Missouri "covidiots."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Cathy, what a mess in the sewing room! Best of luck with your insurance company and resolving the leaky issue. At least, you got your Dark BLUE sewing out of the way early in the week!!! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  8. That leak does look nasty. I hope it's not too big of a fiasco to get taken care of. A week or two ago, I mentioned your hubby needed a quilt holding arm. This time I have a suggestion I'd guess most men would go for - a chainsaw arm! He could get that tree down in no time! (Of course, we wives would be panicking every time that arm was attached, but...boys...) Your latest quilts are great and some little astronaut will love the space quilt, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so sorry for your leak! water can cause so much damage! my son also doesn't want to get the vaccine and he drives a 18 wheeler for a living! in and out of hot zones...crazy kid (end of my rant). great looking blocks and quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm astounded that you actually sewed with all that! Water is just the worst. It does so much damage. Glad that no one was hurt in the storm at least! Hope next week is better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of lovely blue sewing happening there. Hope you get your water problem sorted out properly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear about the damage to your garden and also the mould/water problem that you are hoping to get dealt with properly. Always something to do when you own a house! Surprised you found any time to sew, but you did. Stringing the Blues looks great. Hope you manage to have a quieter time this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We had a similar storm about 3 weeks ago and the 6 yr old Kentucky Coffee Tree in the backyard suffered a fate similar to your Mort. I know the remaining part of the tree is doomed, but a shoot came out of the cut off section, just to show it wasn't giving up yet. I hope you can get the window/water/mold issue settled before another heavy rain comes through. And, finally, I have great sympathy for Bruce these days. I pulled a muscle in my left arm and need to keep it immobile for at least 3 weeks. Certainly no comparison to Bruce's permanent loss, but enough to appreciate having two hands to get through the day. So no sewing or gardening here for a while.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oy, what a mess! I'm sorry you have to deal with this damage and hope you can get it FULLY resolved. Stringing the Blues is lovely and proof that you can turn the blues into something beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That storm was bad here, too. I'm in Alpine. But no broken tree limbs or structural damage. Now we're just back to the heat & dry, right? Your blue strings is so cute! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh! RIP Mort! That was a horrible storm. I'm so sorry you lost your tree! Thank goodness the rose just bowed her head until it was all over.
    I was so worried about your quilts and fabrics! It's good that you went down to check on things. Hopefully, with the help of the insurance company, it will all be put to right. I'm glad you and Bruce are okay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh Cathy - you're having South Louisiana hurricane-type issues! My sympathies!!
    Here's to next week being less stressful, and your retreat being a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a bummer! Hope the “find the leak” and fix goes well! I love the blue string quilt! I’ve said it before! Have a great retreat! What a fun plan!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry about your little tree, and that leak into your Sewing Room! GASP! Love the string quilt in progress with the black, dark blue and white! Very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I winced when I saw your storm pictures. We have lived here 13 months now and have only had two 20 minute rains one year apart. Back in Indiana they are having TOO MUCH rain. I hate to say this but there has been a lot of talk here about moving to Oregon where Corey was before he moved here. I tell him there is draught there too. And fires. We have a fire now that is basically near where the one last year was. But he is a wheeler and dealer and is in cahoots to turn this property into a camp ground. That probably would not happen before Terry and I are dead and gone. Mean while we pray everyday for rain. I bet we have had a few other rainy days where the rain dehydrated before it hots the ground.

    So I am working on hexies. Sitting in my chair, an easy project to put down and put away when the kids are around. Nic looks at my sewing machine all the time and tells me he wants to make something on it. Nic does not focus well. I'm going to look for a small machine because I don't have the guts to turn him loose on mine, lol.

    Hope that is the last horrible storm you have.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a horrible storm! Your poor maple tree and it certainly wasn't easy on the rose tree either. I am in LOVE with the blue strings with black & white. Oh my! So pretty!! Have a good trip to Missouri Star. I don't live all that far away, about 4.5 hour drive. Have fun, be safe! I'm a big believer in lots of thorough hand-washing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh goodness - that's a scary storm! I'm so sorry about the loss of your tree but I suppose it could have been worse. But then, the discovery of the leak in your studio - wow, that's a royal pain for sure. Kind of hard to appreciate getting rain when something like that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sorry to hear of the damage from the storm (and possibly other things). Sounds like a scary storm!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!