Saturday, July 31, 2021

July Recap

I didn’t get as much sewing done this week as I’d hoped, but that’s not surprising seeing that I’m heading out tomorrow with Cousin Kim, Cousin Carrie and niece Jenny for a week-long road trip and retreat at Missouri Star Quilting Company. There’s been a lot of stuff to plan and pack up. Although we’re all looking forward to the retreat, we’re a little spooked by the resurgence of the ‘Rona - the Delta Variant.  And we’re going to a state where the covidiots still outnumber those who’ve vaccinated. Hopefully everyone attending the retreat will be vaxxed, but we’ve got our masks (and stuff to make more) and our sanitizers just in case. And we plan to practice social distancing with strangers. 

So, I did finish another scrappy blue quilt this week. It’s nothing to write home (or the blog for that matter) about, but just for the record, here it is.  I had enough navy and white half-square triangles to make four pinwheel blocks and four disappearing pinwheel variation blocks. There were lots of selvage squares and half hexes to chop up and use up, a miscellaneous boat block (donated to Quilts for Kids), plus lots of other bits and pieces. Yeah, so it’s a hot mess. A “creature quilt” with very little design planning other than to slap it together before the end of the month.


The quilting was done on my Bernina and is just loops. It measures 44x48”. That was the fifth and final blue donation quilt for July. They’re all listed under the “2021 Quilts” tab above. There was another quilt - blue, green and red bricks - that I will finish up another month. I ruined it by adding a border that was too busy and fought with the brick pattern, so I’ll be ripping that border off and just adding a plain border. But that won’t happen until sometime in August.

Here is a recap of my dark blue blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge’s Blue July. I’m linking up to the Scrappy Saturday gathering at Angela’s blog today.


The only blocks I didn’t do this month that I’ve been sewing recently is blue four-patches, but in lieu of that I cut up a lot of scraps into 2.5” squares.  I have other plans for them down the road (RSC ’21).  Not pictured in the above collage are the 38 string blocks I made this month. All of them, plus some blue string blocks left over from last year, went into the making of Stringing the Blues (again, see tab above).


Anyway, my total blocks sewn this month numbered 80. 

I was going to take pictures of the three quilt projects I’m taking along to the retreat, but it rained again last night and that meant more water coming in through the basement window. At least we’re prepared for it now until the insurance company can get someone out here to do the troubleshooting. Isn’t that the way it goes, though? If you want rain you just wash your car - or discover a leaky window seal. 

Have a good week, friends!

19 comments:

  1. Oh my, 80 blocks! That's a productive month! Have a wonderful time on the roadtrip and retreat. Masks, sanitzer, and social distancing will go a long way. If only the same things would fix that basement window! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn! Had hoped your window woes had been fixed! And yet you were soooo productive! Have a great time in MO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your trip and retreat! It’s nice that you will be able to get away and finally get a chance to be productive. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great retreat - have fun and stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the blues in your post, Cathy! Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful blue blocks, Cathy!! Enjoy your trip and have a great retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 80 blocks sewn this month! Oh dear, you put me to shame. Always live seeing your cat family blocks each month, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS. Meant to add, have a great trip, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great time at the retreat. Drive safely and keep your distance! Your blue quilt is lovely, you are very clever at putting so many different bits and pieces together to make an interesting quilt. Hope your leaky window gets sorted out whilst you’re away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving those dark blue string blocks!!
    Oh please be so carefuland stay safe--[you are braver than I am..not going anywhere...]
    Masking inside at Pt and grocery store...a bit worrying that there is not vax for my 7 and 9 yr old grandgirls with school approaching fast...
    Hugs julierose

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best of luck with that pesky window! And stay safe in your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perhaps not as productive as some months, Cathy, but even so... You sewed 80 more blocks than I did this month!! :o))
    What a wonderful trip you have planned. Safe travels and enjoy your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy the retreat and get a lot done. Try not to worry about the Covidiots. We were supposed to be in Nashville this week for a political memorabilia collector's show, but the reservations had to be made 6 months ago. At the time it didn't seem safe and now, we're really glad we made that decision.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bon voyage! I look forward to the tale of your trip. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, enjoy your trip and retreat! When my sis, who lives in MD had rain come in due to the back yard being on a slope she put big bags of potting soil as sandbags out there to divert the water away from the house. Is that something you could try till the repairs are done?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful blocks! Can't decide which I like best: the String blocks or the Kitty blocks! Hope you're having a great time on retreat. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lucky you to be going on a wonderful retreat - be safe! I must admit I'm very sad to see the month end and the end of blue, at least for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It really feels good to find an idea blog post such as this, nice articles.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!