Saturday, July 17, 2021

Same Old Same Old

I’ve got to start taking more pictures! If I did, I have more to document about our activities during the week. But I always seem to forget. So in 100 words or less, I’ll document our week’s highlights: 

Monday was our 18th wedding anniversary and to celebrate we went out to dinner. The company (each other) was better than the food, and I think we’re done with Olive Garden. We used up an old gift card though. And speaking of food, we harvested our first tomato and some blackberries from the garden. Things are finally beginning to take off!  ...  I bought a bolt of Kona White from Joann’s with a 50% off coupon...  On Tuesday I attended my weekly WW meeting and lost a pound. My friend Diane from WW brought me a full plastic bag of yardage from her group’s giveaway table. They’ll be great for backings for QFK. Thanks, Diane! 

And now you’re up to date, so let’s turn to the quilting, shall we?

Early in the week I basted then quilted the two quilt tops I’d sewn last week. This first one I’m calling Playtime. It’s just a mix of various width-of-fabric strips in blues and reds primarily, with some solid accent strips thrown in. It measures 40x46”.


The backing is the same kid print that’s in the two widest strips. Next up is Riverdance. Strange name for a quilt that has nothing to do with rivers or dancing or Riverdancing, but let me explain.


Riverdance was made from scraps cut into 6.5” squares and 3.5” squares that were then sewn into four-patches. If I’d just sewn them all together without some sort of spacing, it would’ve been chaos. So I added 1.5” strips (in Kona Snow) to make the patches dance. Now, it’s not a major shift in the columns, just a small one. But it helps the eye separate the columns and gives the quilt some movement. And it reminded me of Riverdance, where the focus is all in the fancy footwork. So that’s my convoluted thought process. 


Riverdance measures 40x49.5”. The backing is a great orange print I picked up on sale at Connecting Threads.

Then I turned my attention to dark blue, the July color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  As usual, I’m linking up to Scrappy Saturday to share my dark blue scrappy sewing with the other Scrapettes. 

First I sewed some some “chips”. These blocks measure 4” finished. They’re not my favorites to sew, mainly because my black and white fabric scrap drawers are full but untidy a hot mess.  I did take the time to do some organizing in those drawers, but more importantly I decided to check my original plan for these blocks and my progress. It made sense to downsize the quilt these will eventually make into a youth size instead of a full lap size. That means I only had to sew 11 blocks this month instead of the usual 24. And that is where I personally did some riverdancing, LOL! 


Last week I mentioned that I’d sewn a bunch of dark blue string blocks. I thought I had 39, so I sewed one more for an even forty. Then I counted and had … 38. Ok, well… that’s just fine.


When I added in the 19 dark blue blocks I still had left over from last year, the total came to 57.


These won’t all be used together in one single (boring and dark) quilt, of course. Then I remembered I had some blocks that I made in light blue when that was the RSC color of the month. The lighter colored blocks don’t show up well when mixed in with the multi-colored string blocks, but they’d be perfect with the dark blue. This is what I came up with:


This layout will be sewn up in the coming week. Best of all, is uses up every light blue block in the Parts Department!

The last quilt to show you is the one that started out with these scraps. I ended up eliminating the bright blue and the red/navy plaid because they weren’t needed.


Here’s the flimsy (quilt top):


I absolutely loved it - until I added the border. I wanted to use up the last of the scraps and at the same time widen it a bit. But instead, it confused the pattern and took away from the quilt as a whole. A simple stop border would have been better. But I’m not ripping it out. And to top it off, when I was cleaning up my studio yesterday, I found MORE of the strips, so I ended up not using them all anyway! This top will be basted and quilted up in the coming week, just like the blue strings.  

But first I have my Positivity quilt top to put together. The blocks are all sewn and laid out, so that is today’s project. I’ll be joining the link-up on Sunday. Drop by if you’re in the neighborhood! 

18 comments:

  1. congrats on the anniversary - none of the restaurants we have tried since covid has had good food. great strings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated Happy Anniversary! All these occasions need celebrating. Love the Riverdance quilt, the addition of the Kona white strips was such a good idea, it certainly took the eye from the individual squares to the 4 patches. The navy and orange colours work so well together. Love your pale blue string blocks in the middle of all the dark blues - it’s really striking. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting week and projects. Congratulations on your anniversary. Have a wonderful week, your blue string quilt looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your anniversary, Cathy and Bruce! Sorry to hear the food wasn't good, though - that's disappointing for a special night out. Love seeing your week's progress, and I especially love the dark and light blue strings quilt! Riverdance is fun, and a very creative name for the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your anniversary! I love the blue strings. What a great solution. I get the riverdance title, too! All of your projects look great, and I can't wait to see the Positivity quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on 2 new completed quilts (and 18 years!!) Nice job on the Dark BLUE scrap usage, too, Cathy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary! And congrats on the weight loss too.
    We celebrated our 48th anniversary in June. Gosh, time flies!

    Wow! I really like all of your quilts this week. I think I'm going to give make a Riverdance because I have a bunch of 4 patches in the Parts Department and I think they feel like dancing. What a great idea! I like that Playtime strippie too. I even have some of that pirate fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary Cathy--I love the lighter blues in the center of those vibrant ones...
    I am stalled right now on any machine sewing with my sciatica...Went to Md on Monday and he put me on Thursday total rest and meds...not fun, but hoping for the best...I start Pt on thursday...mostly walking and standing and sleeping --(what else, right?) Anyway..am doing a lot of reading of my old quilt books...looking longingly at my yellow/blue string blocks...
    Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. your string blocks are amazing! as are all your other projects! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The blue string quilt is awesome! I like Riverdance too! What a good tip to add the strip if white!
    Happy Anniversary! 18 years is reason to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I am really liking that blue string quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The string quilt is a winner, for sure! And what fun to have made so many blocks that you can play around with the design. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary. I wish you had a better dining experience. All this week's quilts are winners. I like the layout of Riverdance (which I may have already told you.) And the light blue string blocks add some interest to the dark blues. I have some novelty fabrics that would work well in that strip design. We had 3.3" of rain yesterday, so I think we are set for a while in the moisture department. Wish we could share with everyone out west, although I don't want your heat in exchange.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to you and Bruce. The pressure to use old gift cards is real and relatable. Your blue string blocks (both light and dark) are devastatingly handsome. When it comes to sleeping partners, my desire for handsome quilts is insatiable :-D Hope we can chat. Big Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy (late) Anniversary!
    It's too bad that Olive Garden has gone downhill. Our favorite restaurant lost most of it's great wait staff and it just isn't the same, plus they completely changed their menu.
    I love Riverdance! Border and all. It has good movement and I like the color combination. The dark and light blue string blocks look great.
    Congrats on the weight loss. I really need to get back into the WW gig. Right now, I am a little embarrassed by the COVID gain.
    I am in the process of sandwiching my second quilt top! After I last wrote, I found a squirrel. It was started and finished in about a week and a half. I have no clue what got into me, but I hope it stays! My daughter claimed that one. I will take some pictures and send them along. (eventually!)
    I have two tiny little green tomatoes on my heritage plant. I don't know if they will ripen, the sun doesn't get to that spot for very long, but we have to put the plants somewhere safe from our roving plant eater. He annihilated my lilac bush! AARRRgghhh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My special crate of zucchini to you is in the mail. I have heard that if you slather a slice of zucchini with apricot jam, that it tastes just like apricot. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This last week we enjoyed a delicious meal with our son in Medford, OR, a 5 star Thai food restaurant. Jr. has not been around us much, had never been to Thai and says he will never eat Chinese again! He said his mouth had never been so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Boring? Never! I love the string quilt even before you added the changes. Happy, albeit now belated, anniversary to you both!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!