Saturday, May 22, 2021

Done and Dusted

Done and dusted. That would be the perfect title for this week’s blogpost if my spring cleaning were done. It would be the perfect title if all my planned sewing and quilting projects for this month, or even just this week were done. But no. It’s the perfect title because after this busy week (especially yesterday), am done and dusted. Tired. Spent. Exhausted. 

On Monday we ran 6 of our 8 “needs to happen this week” errands. Tuesday was yardwork day. The veggie garden is planted and so are all the flowers and flower pots. Wednesday was sewing day. Thursday was tackling Mt. Washmore, more errands, and more yardwork. Friday was grocery shopping and the installation of our new home security system. The guys who sold us our security plan (and those who installed it) were amazing. Heck, George was here long enough for the cats to warm up to him! So now we’re in the 21st century with smart home technology, cameras, alarms, detectors for fire and gas/carbon monoxide (already had those), sensors for water leaks, glass breakage, and more - all accessible from our panel or smart phones. And for a negligible amount over what we were paying before. But the process was a bit disruptive yesterday. I’m so glad it’s done (and dusted!)

BUT - that means I didn’t get accomplished what I thought I’d get done in the sewing room this week. All is not lost though as I do have things to share.  First up are the “chips" that I finished a week ago but didn’t share last week. I thought I was making 12 of each, but it turns out that my count was off, so there are 13 with white borders and 11 with black borders. 

Kim and I basted two flimsies on Wednesday, but I only got one quilted. It was this little red scrappy column quilt that I showed the beginnings of last week. It finished at 40x48” and made a nice dent in my red scraps.

The backing used up the last of this cute print I’ve had in my stash for about 3 years. Naturally, the quilt will go to Quilts for Kids. 

I also worked on the large half square triangles that I’m making into Disappearing Pinwheels. I thought I had enough to make 22 blocks and had planned to make a quilt using 20 blocks, with the 2 leftovers going into the Parts Department. But I counted again and realized I had enough to make 26 blocks (Are you sensing a pattern here with my counting ability?) so, I decided to make more than one quilt. 

This is where I am with the first quilt. It will consist of 12 blocks and be bordered with the red on all four sides (it’s just partially pinned now). The backing will be some of the denim blue chambray hanging to the right.

The remaining blue HSTs will wait for our Dark Blue month in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. However, I’ll sew up and play with the remaining 8 red and white blocks this month. I’ll have to add some other blocks to bring them up to a good quilt size. Here is one partial possibility with string blocks. 

But I’ll have other blocks to consider adding, because I also sewed up six 6.5” crumb blocks and 13  4-patches. Stay tuned.

After resting up, I’m getting a late start today (Saturday). Today I’ll be cleaning the spare downstairs bedroom. I finally assembled my new Shark vacuum for use downstairs. We’ll use our regular old heavy monster vac for upstairs without the need to cart it up and down stairs. Plus, naturally, there will be laundry and sewing today. We hope to make plans for the coming week to visit a friend and enjoy the fruits of our last several weeks' of labor. Life is good. 

Linking to:  Rainbow Scrap Challenge and Oh Scrap!

17 comments:

  1. I really like the column quilt. Fabulous idea to use up 6 or 8 of a variety. Good for you getting all your errands done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like that disappearing pinwheels design (think I mentioned that before). I hate weeks that seem to only involve errands and disruptions of one kind or another. You'll be glad to put it all behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the red you have worked up so far. I also appreciate the need to run all of those errands! Sometimes not fun, but at least you got things done. And hurray for security! Hope you get more stitching time next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the red and white colum quilt. With less sewing time you did a lot I am just thinking the amount you will show us next week, Cathy. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SEW many RED scraps, Cathy!! Are you sure you had time for all those errands and other chores, too? LOVE that scrappy RED quilt finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The red column quilt turned out wonderfully, Cathy! Someone is really going to love it. Sounds like you two have really entered the 21st century with all your new technology - is there a big learning curve? We're still getting used to smart phones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You’ve had a very busy week - and month! Your security system sounds amazing. Love all the red sewing. The extra Red Disappearing Pinwheel blocks look great with red String blocks. Love the column quilt. Hope this coming week will be a little more restful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow wow wow. Great quilt show today, Cathy !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots happening in your world these days. It was too hot this week for gardening or sewing. No rain in over two weeks and temps in the upper 80's. We don't have AC and it was 82 degrees inside which meant no sewing. I feel like a slug, but the older I get, the harder it is to take the heat. The column quilt and disappearing pinwheels both came out great.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Column Quilt is really pretty. I love all the blocks and they come together perfectly. Also love the red, white and blue pinwheel quilt. The design makes me look all over it, then my brain figures out The design which is very pleasing. The would be a great quilt in a number of color combinations. Your week sounds like ours as far as busy-ness goes!
    Our week has been frazzled as usual. We are harvesting trees to clear the land and give us more options for land usage. I think my daughter has plans for a larger dog kennel and pond for the dogs to frolic in. Plus they could possibly be trained in water rescue. The harvesting brought us some unwanted attention from a neighbor. He came over with a beer in hand to tell my daughter to stop...until he found out who our contractor is...heh heh...that stopped him in his tracks. He was really trying to bully my daughter, but she stood her ground with the help of two of her pooches! I wish I had video of it!
    I have been playing in my sewing room some, but accomplished very little. I just need a full day session in there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am beginning to realize I need my own "Cousin Kim if I want to do all the things swimming around in my head. Or at least I need someone to bounce things off of, walls, dolls and critters are chatty but offer no new ideas,just reflections of what is already there. *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh - I'm tired just reading about your week's activities! You go girl! The column quilt is adorable and I love the string blocks mixed with the disappearing pinwheels. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you got plenty done despite the distractions! You are a whirlwind!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Contentment is a list with half of it crossed off," wrote Gladys Taber. Sounds as though you achieved a bit more than contentment!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have soooo many red blocks! No wonder you're tired. You need some soothing blues or greens. That might help your counting abilities, too. No guarantee, though. Hope things calm down and get restful soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like it will be a while before you are in the red with those scrap bins.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!