I think Baby 2021 is an upstart little sh** that is already trying to outdo Old 2020. but all I’m going to say about the Capitol Insurrection on Wednesday is that the perpetrators need to (and will) be brought to justice and punished to the fullest extent of the law. Horrific and shameful. I didn’t find out about it until that evening because I was blissfully sewing away, listening to music. And I cannot tell you how happy that little bit makes me.
My Bernina 550QE (“Bernadette") went in on December 28 for her annual “spa treatment”. I finally got her back on Wednesday. So, I was happily able to immerse myself in sewing finally. My backup machine did well enough while Bernadette was gone, but it was just slow going and a lot of referring to the manual. This week I also had stitches removed from my back where my doctor had removed a suspicious but benign cyst. And then one of our kids (Bruce’s daughter S) had a bit of a family crisis, so we spent three hours on Friday afternoon talking with her. We were all masked and distanced, but indoors. She’s had her first vaccine, too. So all in all, it wasn’t a very productive week for me.
I did finish up Unicorn Cats. It turned out really cute.
This first finish of the year will go to Quilts for Kids. it measures 45x54”. The quilting is a simple stipple and the backing and binding were all pieced from the scrap remnants given to me.
The pink QFK sock monkey flimsy is basted and awaiting its turn to be quilted - I’ll finish that this coming week. Then I had 2 QFK flimsies made by others that I quilted and bound.
January for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is the color pink. My RSC sewing this week consisted of making more of the little 3.5” (unfinished) square-in-a-square blocks. I made 23 more for a total of 25.
Since I had pulled all the pink scraps and projects last week, I got started on another quilt for QFK from a 1-yard cut of fabric that Angie sent me last December. This one is pink teddy bears and bunnies.
For a couple weeks now I’ve been debating what my final pink RSC block should be, and I’ve been torn between doing sixteen-patch blocks, Dakota Farmer blocks, or a Wishing Ring variation. For this quilt top, I did 5 Dakota Farmer blocks, inspired by Cathy. But I think that going forward I’ll do whatever block or blocks it takes in the color of the month to finish out the QFK quilts I’m working on.
I have a large piece of pink and white striped fabric that will be used as a back for this one and for the pink Raggedy Ann and Andy quilt that I can hopefully piece together next week. And then there will be a basting and quilting marathon to finish everything up!
That’s it from here. I don’t feel very talkative this week. I think I’ve already used up my weekly quota of words. Besides .... the sewing room is calling!