Saturday, January 2, 2021

Time to Update the Calendar

With the turning of the year, my old 2020 Outlander calendar is now outdated. If I were 14, I would save it and drool over the pictures of Jamie the costumes and such, but I’m way older than that. For 2021, the calendar here in my office will be elephants, courtesy of the Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. I fell in love with elephants and the SWT when I visited the elephant orphanage in Nairobi, Kenya in 2018. Bruce and I have supported their work by “adopting” (sponsoring) a couple elephants every year, first for our grandkids and then for ourselves. Our current babies are Larro, a female and Roho, a male. But I digress ... 

Ok, so the calendar is updated and I assume the Apple dropped in Times Square on New Year’s Eve. The sun came up this morning although we have yucky damp and cold cloud cover so I’m just presuming there is a sun up there somewhere. Good fireplace weather. And excellent sewing weather!!

Our January color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is pink. Before starting in on the monthly blocks I’ll be doing, I decided to knock out a flimsy with the pink and gold (etc) scraps I showed last week. This is Unicorn Cats. The top is now sewn, as is the backing (no picture), all with the scrap/chunk bundle that came from Quilts for Kids. 


I used up most of the scraps - probably 95% - of this group of scraps, and it will even have a matching striped binding when finished. The only additions from my stash were the Kona Snow (inner sashings) and the Kona Flamingo for the stop border. 


Next week I’ll baste and quilt this little quilt along with 2 other QFK quilts (made by others - I just quilt and bind them). If I have time after those, I’ll get working on my Zipper quilt. 

Two fellow RSC friends, Cathy and Gayle, are doing this cute little 3.5” block this year and I just couldn’t resist. It’s made with three 2.5” squares - one in the color of the month and the other two from your background of choice. The two background squares are sliced diagonally then each resulting triangle is sewn to a side of the colored square. These two were just my initial prototypes, so expect to see many more of these later in the month.


Next I worked on waffle blocks (also influenced by two other RSC’ers, Nann and Kathy). It takes four 5.5” (unfinished) blocks to make one 10.5” block. I made three blocks. I love these because they use some of my smaller 1.5” scraps. 


This next block is one I’ve loved since I first did one for a Farm Girl Vintage sew-along a few years ago. Lori Holt calls it a Spring Star, but I’m not sure if that was her name for it or the traditional name for it. Does anyone know? I guess I’ll call it a Spring Star until I learn otherwise. I’m using Kona White as a background, Kona Black as the constant accent squares, and two shades of the Rainbow Scrap color of the month for the arms of the star. The block measures 12.5” unfinished, 12” finished. Making two of these each month for 10 months will give me a total of 20 blocks. That will yield a 48x60” quilt before adding any sashing or borders, so that’s a good range.


And then, since I was drowning in pink strings, I made 26 blocks (6.5”). Adding these to the 15 I made last year and still have on hand, that gives me 41 pink string blocks. My plan is to use these as filler blocks as I work on various Quilts for Kids scrap projects.


Also, I made an Executive Decision to work on QFK quilt projects that coordinate with the RSC color of the month. I had drawn the Unicorn Cats project (above) randomly for January, and loved that it matched the color of the month. It makes sense to pull out all the pink scraps at once, along with any other pink chunks or pink yardage pieces. To that end, I pulled out three more scrap pink fabrics waiting their turn: 
1. Pink Sock Monkeys (I have sock monkey fabric in other colors that will be tackled later), 
2. Pink Bears/Bunnies, and 
3. Pink Raggedy Ann and Andy. 

I started with the Pink Sock Monkeys and pieced this little top yesterday.  Well, it’s not totally pieced yet - it’s still in three sections that need to be sewn together. There is enough of that pink sock monkey fabric for the back too. This will go into the pile to be basted. 


I’m probably the only person in the world who does not like sock monkeys, so I tackled that one first to get it over with *cough* start somewhere.....  Anyway, you can see that I needed to stretch the fabric by using other bits and stripes, etc. I expect there will be a lot of this occurring as I make my way through these scraps and chunks this year. That’s the point - to use up their scraps and mine and turn them into useful quilts.


I can’t decide if this top is cute or Tres Fugly. But oh well. As I said, it will be useful!

Did you have a nice New Year’s Eve? We did. Just like any other - doing our best to stay up until midnight to kiss and then say goodnight. We made it. The only other difference this year  was that a bottle of champagne was killed in the process ... 

13 comments:

  1. Unicorn Cats is just adorable, Cathy! What fun fabric to focus on. Someone's going to love it! I enjoyed seeing your other block plans, too - there are so many fun ideas. I'd like to make quilts for Quilts for Kids, too - they are a good size for me to actually finish, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Unicorn Cats turned out really cute. I made a Waffle Block quilt a long time ago inspired by a vintage quilt and the blocks were called Roman Stripes although Waffle seems more appropriate. Whatever you call that Star it's a winner. I'm making Chips in two different sizes...with 2.5 inch centers and 5 inch centers. The 5 inch ones will be half framed and offset like the pattern Sunprint. I always liked Sock Monkeys and now I wonder why. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of pretty pinks here. Must admit that sock monkeys dont seem to be a thing down here where I live so I would put them in the ugly camp, but surely they would be a hit with children. Love those little blocks made with 2 1/2 squares, but do I need another project? I'll have to think about that.
    So interesting to read of the elephant support you give, such a worthwhile cause.


    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely block choices, Cathy --I had decided to concentrate on that Punctuation row quilt...
    But (but, but, but) I love the little centered square and the waffle blocks, too, and, and, and-- of course the strings...S I G H ... And, truthfully, I wasn't even going to do it at all!! (hahaha fat chance)
    We'll see how it all shakes out...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Usually we get several freebie calendars but not this year. I had to 'order' the milk calendar which has always been delivered in the newspaper previously and then I 'ordered' a freebie from the Canadian Wildlife Federation but it never appeared. Jack has the milk one in the kitchen (lots of recipes so he's happy) and I ended up with one I got at the car dealership for my sewing room. Not very inspiring!
    Looks like you've already had a great start to your sewing year! I started a new project yesterday in the ongoing quest to use up stash. However, truthfully, I'm just replacing loose stash with a project that I don't have any possible use for. Not sure what possessed me on that one!!
    Happy 2021 Cathy - to you and Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unicorn Cats is a great quilt. The Cat fabric is so funny. Your decision on how to use it really works and now you have a prototype for more quilts using other fabrics you’ve been gifted. You will have a lot of fun working your way through those. You are off to a great start for RSC21 sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can not get enough of the sock monkey on a pogo sticks. So many great pink projects this month. I hope you are able to cross a few off the list. You pink bin will certainly get a bit lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Unicorn Cats quilt! The color is so pleasing.
    Yeah...no...to the sock monkeys. Never cared for them, of course I never owned one so maybe that's why, I didn't grow to love one! heh heh
    Thank you for posting the color of the month. I haven't made it over to the RSC site yet. I have scrambled my sewing room again to get some peg board up and get my storage in a vertical position. More room that way, or is it that I will be able to find things if they aren't buried in a drawer?
    We stayed up until 1:15 or so. It was just to make sure that 2020 was actually GONE. My daughter and I had intentions of killing two little (2oz) bottles of Fireball, but we forgot! We've just plum got out of the habit and those bottles will probably sit in the freezer until the end of time. Then we'll drink them!
    Happy New Year to you and Bruce. I am looking forward to following along with you and see what you come up with this year.
    Stay healthy my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you've been having a TON of PINK fun, Cathy!!! I can't believe you got SEW much done already. Wait! Who am I talking to? LOL, of course, you went crazy right out of the gate! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cathy! What fun and cute pink blocks for the RSC. They are all great but I really adore the little 3.5" block. It sure looks easy to make, and it makes me want to pull out my box of 2.5" squares and give this a try. Happy New Year to you and Bruce. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. And just like that you are off to a fabulous start...without missing a beat. Pink is a good way to start the year, methinks. And all your big and small blocks are looking lovely already. I should finalize my pink fabric choices. Sew much to do and sew little time. For New Year's Eve we ate Chinese food and watched an Indian blockbuster movie. At midnight I was watching my all time favorite - the eyelid show :-D

    ReplyDelete
  12. All your pink projects provided perfectly delightful viewing (darn! couldn't come up with a P word for viewing). I'm intrigued by the square in a square blocks. I love the look of them, but hate making them because they always seem to turn out wonky or need lots of trimming. Maybe I'll try this and see if I can become more proficient at making them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blocks are pretty as is the Unicorn Cats quilt. So many lovely pinks including the pink sock monkeys! LOL! Cheers to you & Bruce for killing that pesky champagne bottle. I think it had it coming! Hahaha! Fred & I went to sleep before midnight but woke with the fireworks from the neighbors. I rolled over, kissed Fred, wished him a happy new year, and rolled over to go to sleep again. Big whoop on our celebration! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!