Saturday, December 5, 2020

December in the Studio

How are you coming with your Christmas preparations? I can’t seem to get in gear. We did take down and pack away all our autumn things, now condensed into one 18-gallon orange and black tote bin. However, I didn’t have the energy to pull out all the Christmas bins. We must have 6-7 of those, two just for ornaments. My plan is to go through them and get them reduced down to two, maybe three bins, but I’m just not feeling it. Maybe one day next week when I’ll have more time. We’ve finished most of our Christmas shopping which, frankly, is just gift cards this year. I hope to get the out-of-state ones mailed off next week. I have my annual physical on Monday and then we have dentist appointments on Wednesday morning. Other than that, my week belongs to me! 

I sewed about 25 more string blocks, but as I said last week, if you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all. But what I can show you is the flimsy I sewed together in about a half hour on a whim one afternoon. Even my squirrel projects are having squirrels now...


The string blocks are 6”, so this quilt top is roughly 42x48”. It’ll go into the queue for basting/sandwiching. This week I did baste Scraptastic Stars, but I haven’t quilted it yet. It’ll be a finish for next week. I also finished the Gumby quilt top, and it will be basted this week along with the strings above. Pictures of that next week, too.

But what have I been working on? I did finish this little quilt for Quilts for Kids, that I made from some of my gray (dark neutral) scraps. This is the second quilt from the gray bin, in keeping with the use of dark neutrals and finishing up for the last couple months of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I really like how this quilt turned out. It measures about 48x56”. It’s pinned up (not evenly) on my design board since I don’t have a two-armed quilt holder-upper anymore, LOL.


I added orange scraps to the grays for a little zing. I think they’re spread out well enough to provide some interest. The quilting is just a simple stipple.


I made some “modified” zipper blocks (above) to fit the 6” size needed in the far right column. The top two sets of gray/orange blocks in the checkerboard column were orphan blocks from QFK and pretty much set the color scheme for the quilt. 


I really hope to tackle my brown and black scraps over the next couple months (yes, even into 2021) to whittle those down. Still waiting for inspiration to strike there, though.

In the meantime, I started on the final quilt I want to finish as a Christmas gift. This is for my son Ryan.  The columns are sewn and pinned up on the design board. The camera makes them all look so bright in this photo, but in real life they’re more toned down and very rich-looking.  The first three columns (to the first black strip) are sewn together. 


Here's a closeup of some of the fabrics. Due to the large size, I had to add other fabrics to the originally-intended fabrics purchased. You may notice some of the Dan Morris prints (the gold to the left of the black strip and the blue/brown to the right of it) making an appearance. I tried to keep the piecing random and color-balanced. However, there are three places where like prints abut (or nearly abut) each other. Oh well. That’s part of being random, isn’t it?



I want to give a shout out to Angie, who sent me a box of fabric cuts that she no longer sees herself using. The box contained lots of kid-themed fabrics and will be perfect to use for Quilts for Kids. Opening the box was an amazing early Christmas gift. Thanks, Angie, for your generosity!


I can hardly wait to tuck into these fabrics!!

Alfie and Darla are waiting patiently for me to hang the Christmas stocking with care. They’ve finally taken to their beds (Alfie’s on the left is heated). I took their old kitty quilt and cut it in half and bound the exposed edge. So, they’re both content now.

 

Darla


Alfalfa

Have a good week, everyone! Stay safe and healthy.



19 comments:

  1. Christmas prep here is done and dusted. And I feel somewhat out of sorts because of it. I'm so used to working on Christmas things pretty much right up to the last minute and having everything (including the decorating) done already is a really odd feeling. The only reason I'm ahead of myself this year is because of the need to get things mailed earlier than ever. Our decorating is fairly minimal with pretty much only the nativity set and the tree.
    I think your string block quilt has to be one of my favourites (so far!). And combining orange with the grey was an inspired idea too - gives it life. AND - the quilt for Ryan is perfect - he'll love it I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really really LOVE the string flimsy - that red accent makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the all red string blocks frame you made on the quilt--really neat!!
    And i do like your son's gift quilt...Looks like fun to make with no seam-hassles either!!
    I am having a battle with trying to put photos on my blog--all of a sudden they don't show up on the "enter" screen. Blogger/and or Google GREMLINS at work once again!! Frustrating...
    And so it goes...hugs from underneath my bumbershoot today Julierose stay safe :()

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your projects are lovely. And the cats have beautiful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since the kids moved out christmas has become another chore I don't want to do.
    You are not alone in the not feeling it category.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the red blocks in the string quilt! They really spice it up😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gray with pops of orange quilt is just great, Cathy! It does give it some zing! You're doing great on those Christmas gift quilts, too - I like this design you came up with for your sons. Neat prints, but masculine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we are going to skip Christmas this year like we did Thanksgiving. I don't really feel all that festive in my old age and I really don't like putting up decorations only to take them all down a few weeks later. I have a lot of handmade ornaments we made every year with my kids when they were younger and then made every year when grandkids were younger. Over the years I've gifted some that my kids made to them for their trees and I'll do the same for grandkids some day.

    I like those strings. I think I need to dig into mine one of these days again. I probably have several quilts in there. And I really really really like that gray/orange combination. It is simple and elegant at the same time and you made such a lovely well balanced mix of blocks. Lovely, just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your gray and orange quilt. It turned out beautifully interesting. Great job! Love the cat pictures too. Adorable! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the Squirrel Quilt, Cathy!! Is the QFK this month's "Creature Quilt"? Best of luck on getting Ryan's quilt done in time for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very clever use of your grey and orange blocks and scraps. Great result. Hope you find plenty of time this week to work on Ryan’s quilt. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE that string quilt with the red. I always like string quilts, but this one really POPS! the brightness just makes it so happy feeling. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even in a normal year, I find all the Christmas prep and hype depressing. I've hauled some of the stuff down from the attic but have only unpacked the table top trees and the quilted items. All the family lives out of state except one daughter and she's not coming for our traditional Christmas Eve.
    The string quilt is so much more interesting with the red blocks added. Cold here. I can't wait for the winter solstice when the days start getting longer again.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. I laughed out loud about the squirrels having squirrels! I really like the orange, gray and black QFK. I absolutely LOVE the quilt for your son!
    I'm letting my daughter do the Christmas prep this year. She and my SIL with Baby Beau in tow drove over the the east side of Puget Sound to visit with Great Grandma and Papa and took them with them to go pick out a tree. (That and my daughter had to pick up a pallet of dog food for her herd of pooches!) Great Grandma and Papa were over the moon happy, because my daughter is very strict about the baby coming into contact with any potential COVID carriers!!!
    I bought myself another new machine because the old one, although well loved, has been giving me a headache. No matter what I did to fix it, it wouldn't perform as it used to. I splurged and bought a Juki HZL-DX7. What. A. Dream!!! Once it arrived and I read the entire manual, I practiced a little then set to making my grandson's Christmas stocking. I'm also finishing up a quilt I started for him months ago. (For the delay...see the above rant on my old machine)
    Now that I have a machine that will actually sew again, I am thinking about starting with RSC in January...if it is going to continue. I certainly hope so! I still have all my blocks from years ago, before I got sidetracked with life things.
    Here I am again writing a long dissertation on my happenings!
    Stay safe, take care!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the string quilt with red frame! You're convincing me to start a new string project... The gray and orange combo is quite striking as well. Have fun with your QFK projects!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Cathy! It looks like you had a good week. At this time of year, and especially this year, getting anything accomplished is amazing. Darla and Alfie look so cute laying in their beds. I think I would definitely enjoy the heated one any and every day. {{Hugs}} to a good week. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gray and orange look great together! It doesn't have a Halloween feel like black would. How nice that you got a batch of "new to you" fun kid-friendly fabrics. An early Christmas gift for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your red-stringed squirrel! What a happy quilt!
    (Is Darla jealous of Alfie's heated bed?)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the red-string block inner border. Fabulous idea and it really sets the rest of the quilt off! What sweet kitties! My Polly lately has been enjoying her bed by the fireplace too ... that is, until Gracie comes sniffing along! Ha!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!