Saturday, December 19, 2020

And a Partridge in a Pear Tree

 Four Quilts Finished

Three Family Members Infected With Covid

Two Old Folks Healthy and Calm

And a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Now that my Christmas 2020 song is sung, I guess I should explain it. The quilts will be shown and explained later in this post. Bruce and I are the healthy Old Folks. We’ve done our annual physicals and dentist appointments and passed all of them just fine. I did have to have a crown on a lower molar re-done this week, but it’s all good. I go back to the doctor on the 29th to have a mole removed from my back, but that’s a minor thing. At least we don’t have Covid. I wish I could say that about my son Ryan, daughter-in-law Kim and their daughter Lauren (16). 

Kim works in healthcare - she’s a physical therapy assistant at a rehab center. In mid-November she tested positive (two tests) for Covid. She stayed home for 10 days, enduring mostly aches and tiredness. My son Ryan (negative test) quarantined in the basement, granddaughter Lauren (negative test) went to stay with extended family, and son Easton stayed at USU in Logan where he is a senior. 

Once Kim tested negative twice (after about 10 days), she returned to work. She worked two weeks, getting tested regularly as they do for all the employees and patients and continued to test negative until this week. Apparently two patients were released from a hospital to the rehab center and they tested positive for Covid. Before long, several of the staff, including Kim tested positive as well. It’s the second bout of Covid for Kim and also for an administrator of the rehab center. This time, Ryan and Lauren tested positive too. They have all lost their taste and sense of smell and are experiencing body aches and lethargy. Ryan says that when the symptoms were the worst for him (a couple days during this week),  every injury he’d ever had from baseball, hockey, bike riding, etc. flared up and ached like crazy. He can laugh about it now, but it was wild at the time. Lauren had the worst case of the three. They are all on the mend now, just laying around and taking it easy. So, you CAN get Covid twice. And being younger isn’t a guarantee that your case will be mild. We are very grateful and relieved that they are all recovering.

So let’s move on to something positive (that isn’t Covid), no pun intended. Cousin Kim (not to be confused with DIL Kim) helped me baste Ryan’s quilt last weekend, and I basted the other three donation quilt tops that I had lined up to finish. 

First up, Gumby and Pokey. This is the cut of Gumby fabric that Sally sent me. I extended it it by using large-ish scraps from the Quilts for Kids scrap boxes, forcing myself to make do with what was on hand. The “make do” part is important, because who wants to cut up perfectly-good yardage (making more scraps in the process) when the aim is to turn boxes of existing scraps into something useful? The results are usually not glorious, but certainly warm and serviceable. And those horizontal green strips ARE straight and parallel, but this picture is like an optical illusion!


Gumby and Pokey measures 40x47.5” and was quilted with a largish meandering stipple in light blue thread. The backing is a single piece of fabric I had on hand from Connecting Threads.


The second finish this week was one that I made using my brown scraps as I tried to follow along with the (RSC) Rainbow Scrap Challenge’s monthly challenge to use dark neutral scraps. In addition to the browns, I pulled smallish cuts of teal/turquoise and an ombre gold. I love this little quilt, and the picture doesn’t do justice to its warmth and vibrancy.


This cute scrappy quilt finished at 42x50” and was quilted with serpentine X’s in each section. The backing is an older architectural-style print I had on hand. So, I’m considering this an RSC finish and am linking up to Scrappy Saturday at Angela’s blog. 


The third scrappy quilt that will go to Quilts for Kids is this one I showed last week as just a flimsy (top only). It measures 42x48” 

For the backing I used some of this chambray blue backing that I bought in bulk from Connecting Threads. I think I have enough, if memory serves, for three more kid quilts. 


So, those were quick, easy finishes. Then there was this big monster quilt for my son Ryan. I’m calling it Arahorn, after a place name in his novel. More about that in the new year. 


Arahorn finished at 73x80”. It was made from a fabric line called Imperial Elegance (also from Connecting Threads, do you sense a pattern here?). It’s still available there, and I may buy more because some of the prints are just to die for.... but I digress. Anyway, I did add some other bits to it because the quilt grew beyond my original plan. Raise your hand if that’s ever happened to you... 

The picture below shows the backing and some of the quilted front. It washed up beautifully.


And that completes my quilt show for this week, this month and this year. In 2020, being largely stranded at home, I finished 46 quilts. You can check them all out, if you’re curious, at the page link under the header entitled ... oddly enough ... “2020 Quilts”. 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Now that brings me to what I’m planning, quilt-wise, for 2021. I’ll definitely be participating again with Angela and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. In fact, I can’t wait to get started in January! I have blocks planned for strings/strips, small scraps/orts, 2.5” squares, 1,5” pieces, and also for larger chunks. Additionally, I have at least one carryover block type from this year to finish up in a couple colors (split nines) and several RSC tops to sew into quilts. I’ll select one of those “almost done” quilts every month to finish up. 

But if you’re a regular reader, you know I have been inundated with scraps from Quilts for Kids and by fabric donations from friends Sally and Angie. My goal in 2021 is to use those scraps and yardages to make donation quilts. So, last weekend I sat down with a pad and pencil and went through All.The.Fabric. I made a list of scrap fabric themes (and a couple quilt kits) on hand. All the small pieces were sorted and “filed” by color in the respective scrap color bins. Strips 2.5” and wider were gathered into another pile by color, as were the chunks and small cuts of yardage in single (or tone-on tone) yardages. Finally, every theme was bagged and labeled.  I’m ready to sew as of January 1. 


So, the list above has now been cut up into individual pieces and I’ll draw two themes out every month to work on. I’m hoping that process will keep it all fresh and interesting as I move through the various projects. Those RSC and other projects in the lower right will be scheduled separately. So, I’m either very organized or very crazy. Or both!

In closing this too-long post, I want to thank you all for joining me here on the blog this year. I so appreciate all the comments and conversations we share. Being able to connect like this has helped me (and you too, I hope) survive and even thrive in this crazy pandemic year. You are all special online friends, some of whom are new this year and others whom I’ve known for a decade or two. And still others of you are real-life friends and honorary family! I love you all. Merry Christmas to you and yours. Stay safe and healthy!

26 comments:

  1. A week of fabulous finishes, Cathy... Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - I'm so sorry your son and his family have been through so much! And for your d-i-l to get it twice is just heartbreaking. I'm so glad to hear that they are on the mend and that they didn't have to be hospitalized. Pray they continue to improve.
    Your quilt finishes are fun, as always. I have to say though that I anticipate Ryan will be blown away by his.
    Merry Christmas wishes to you and Bruce (and your family) - in whatever form it may take in this oh-so-different year. (((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry that covid had invaded your family and hope everyone feels like their pre-covid selves very soon. I was just listening to a podcast on cbc (the doc project) about the loss of smell that comes with some covid cases.
    You are making great progress with quilty finishes... congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve so enjoyed your blog over the years....thank you! I love your plan for 2021....might think on something similar for my strings and things. Merry Christmas and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good heavens--what a year this has been--pleased to hear that all are recovered or recovering...what a scarey time you all have had...
    Love your finishes...I especially like Arahorn..it looks so comforting...

    I am sending you best wishes for a Merry Christmas, a Happy and a HEALTHY New Year also;)))
    I have so enjoyed all your postings and your replies to my comments...blogland has really sustained us throughout this difficult year...Hoping that 2021 will be better for all
    Hugs from our Winter Wonderland Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy, I'm so sorry to hear that your son and his family have been dealing with Covid, but glad you and Bruce are healthy and safe! What a time. Your finishes this week are wonderful - I especially love the string quilt! It's just gorgeous. Have a good holiday week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a reader--though I don't think I comment very often--the reason--I am usually always eating when reading blog sites--either my lunch or dinner--and my plate of food is in front of the keyboard--but wanted to let you know that I do enjoy reading about your quilts and your family-of which I am sorry some are ill right now with this stupid Covid--I pray they will fully recover quickly--
    Merry Christmas to you all--luv, di

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on 46 quilt finishes in 2020!!
    That is fantastic, especially since so many of them were donation quilts. You are wonderfully generous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So interesting to read about the double dose of Covid, makes you wonder about the immunity doesn't it. But we all now know that there are different strains so perhaps they affect people differently too.
    Always so nice to read about your stitching and future plans for next years RSC. Yrs, I'm also contemplating what to make for 2021, but still have several of this years projects to finish up.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours, and its been fun to have been part of the RSC sisterhood, and getting to meet lovely people like you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christmas blessings to you and your family, too, Cathy. I consider you one of my virtual friends!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sad to hear about your family, to get COVID twice just does not seem fair. Happy though, to hear that you have stayed safe. So many happy quilts to keep you busy! Looks like you are all set for a productive new year. Best wishes for a happy start to 2021

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like what you did with those strings and how the brown/teal/gold turned out. And those sound like some fun themes. I think I have several of them myself. Don't actually understand how you are going to work with those themes but it sounds like you have lots of fun in store.

    Those rapid tests are not all that accurate and have lots of false negatives and positives so I hear. I must have had covid for a long long time if body aches and lethargy are symptoms!! Seriously, though, hope the old folks stay healthy and calm for the long term.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Cathy, I am always happy to see your posts, even when they have bad news. It seems like you all have been through a lot this year. So sorry to hear about your son's family and I hope they recover well (again). It seems like you have a good plan for next year, too. Some of those scrappy quilts sound awesome and I can't wait to see them! I hope you all have a peaceful and joyful holiday and kick 2020 to the curb where it belongs. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! 46 quilts is a number to aspire to...maybe next year!?! I'm so glad the covid symptoms your family experienced were mild and thank you for stating you can get it twice. As a science geek, I've known that for quite some time, but so many people believe otherwise. It's good to have others backing me up - with some experience to boot. Though if what I had in March was it, I'd wish it on no one and my case was mild by current standards! I look forward to seeing how the coming year unfolds with your quilt list. I have an idea how to keep myself moving as well, but my lists need a bit of work. Perhaps now that the Christmas quilt top I've been sewing on is a whole top, I can find the time? Have a wonderful Christmas and I'll be keeping your family in my thoughts for a speedy, full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am devastated by the news that you have only made very organized, but crazy plans for your 2021 quilts. I lost a lot of money betting that you would have at least half of them finished by now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How very organised you are, Cathy! Great idea to itemise all your scraps into a To Do list, good luck with turning those drawn slips of paper into quilts. I am already looking forward to seeing what you conjure up in 2021.
    Health and happiness to you and your family for 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to hear you are being touched by the tentacles of Covid-19. If only we had something like national leadership in dealing with the pandemic. You're so right - quilting and blogging have been a life-saver this year! Love the four most recent finishes; that chambray backing and red print binding on the string quilt are perfect. I'm impressed with your planning for 2021! So far, all I've done is make a list of tops in progress and tops needing quilting. I added a small list of aspirational ideas for 2021, but the list of UFOs is so long I was discouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a post, Cathy! First -- I'm sorry to hear about your son & family's Covid experience. Thank heavens they are managing to shake it. I've been so impressed and inspired by the quilts you've made this year. What is the December "creature's" name? I'll be making my yearly assessment the week between Christmas and New Year's, which I still regard as "Christmas vacation," though it's not time off from anything the way it used to be. Happy merry to you, Bruce, and all your family!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad I lucked up on your blog--found you on the link list on soscrappy. Congratulations on all the quilts you have done this year!! Covid has changed our lives this year, but you have used the time so wisely and productively! I find what you have done quite inspiring! Hope your family continues to recover well and that they will stay healthy. Maybe your daughter-in-law will be able to get vaccinated. Best wishes, and I'm looking forward to keeping up with you now that I have added you to my feedly list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are sooooo organized on your quest for kids charity quilts. You go, girl! LOVE it! Sorry to hear about your son and his family. Poor Kim for being one of the lucky that get it twice. Glad all are on the mend. Stay healthy -- old people!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes you are very organized AND very crazy, but that's why we all love you. I am using you and Cathy from Sane, crazy, crumby quilting as my role models to dig into the scraps and get things restarted for RSC21. String quilts will be one theme since Sarah is using that for H2H next year. Not sure what else, but I have tons of ideas saved.
    Sorry Ryan, Kim and Lauren have been ill, but they are a cautionary tale on why Thanksgiving gatherings were being discouraged (obviously not heeded by many). Just think if you had decided to ignore the warnings and have a family dinner. Hopefully all are on the mend and will not suffer from any long term side effects.
    We are so lucky to have such a fine array of online friends to perk us up, give us inspiration and console and encourage us. I so admire your productivity and positive outlook no matter what life throws your way. Thank you for being you and sharing so much with everyone.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful post! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and Bruce...and the rest of your extended family. It has been a great year of getting to know my online friends and make connections. I am so appreciative of all who take their time and post pictures and stories good and bad, so that I could celebrate and commiserate with. It makes this awful, icky year more tolerable.
    As for 2021, I am joining in with Angela's RSC. I can't wait to get started. Perhaps I should follow your lead and get my scraps rallied around to start their game.
    The quilts you finished are stunning, especially Ryan's. It's an amazing quilt (I am so certain for an amazing son)! I love the brown and gold dark neutral QFK. It made me comfortable just looking at it. There's a super lucky child about to get a warm hug from you...as they all are!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kind of a "good news/bad news" post! Glad to see these fun finishes, especially Arahorn. But sorry that your family has boarded the Covid train for another trip to Punyville. Keep the old folks safe at home, that's what I say!

    Sounds like you have a great plan for the new year, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Cathy! What a mostly fun post to read. I am so sorry to hear about your son and his family fighting COVID (again for your DIL). Amazingly enough, my niece is a nurse and has not caught the virus yet. I hope her luck continues as she is pregnant and due in March plus two more at home. WOW - that is some list of donated fabrics and themes. I will certainly enjoy watching these quilts come to fruition. Especially the ballerina one as my great-niece who is about to turn two has a ballerina-themed birthday party coming up. {{Hugs}} to you both and Merry Merry Christmas. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, you DID get a lot done this year! I just basically sat around waiting for scheduling for my hip surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those are absolutely fabulous finishes! And good for you for getting a plan in place for 2021! (And may 2020 not let the door hit it on the ass on its way out!)
    Sorry to hear about your family's bout with Covid, but happy to hear that you and Bruce are healthy and safe! Keep up the good work - you're one of my favorite Imaginary Friends!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!