Tuesday, February 4, 2020

A February Goal

Sometimes I feel as though I’m juggling too many spinning plates (OK, that’s a mixed metaphor. See what I mean?)  Anyway, it’s time to set my OMG - One Monthly Goal - for February.


So, this little pile of 1.5-inch low volume and neutral strips (#5 on my Quarter 1 Finish-Along list) is intended to become a quilt. I started out thinking it would be fun to make an entire quilt of them.



But in my quest to make A.Serious.Dent in my stash this year, I began hearing other fabrics calling out to me. There was a particularly melodious, harp-like tune coming from my pre-cuts (that may or may not have anything to do with the Hilary Stagg CD I was listening to).


Anyway, I spied a rainbow hued pack of Tamara Kate charms, and an idea was hatched to combine to combine the two. I decided to use the colorful charms as the center and surround it with neutral strips. So, I made some test blocks.


Yes, it’s a bad picture, but I think it will work. I’ll eliminate the pinks (I can use those elsewhere) and keep it gender neutral. It’ll be a great vacation take-along project and donation quilt for Quilts for Kids. So that’s my OMG for February - to finish my Rainbow Neutrals Happy Quilt. I’m linking up with the lovely and talented Patty Dudek at Elm Street Quilts for our February OMG Goal-Setting.

* * * * * * * * * * * *
And to catch up on some things I’ve apparently forgotten to post over the last two or three weeks, here are some other blocks to share. This first grouping are four strip sets for the Seeing Stars Sew Along at Diane Knott’s Butterfly Threads Quilting. These were the Step 5 (January) blocks, and the February blocks will probably be out very soon, so I thought I’d get these posted.


Originally I planned to do an 8-panel quilt (we are supposed to make one BOM for each panel of our planned item). Then I realized that it would be much more useful to me to make four panels only; three for a wall hanging and one for a table topper. I need those much more than another quilt, and I want to keep these for me. I will have lots of blocks to pick and choose from, so I’m really looking forward to moving this one ahead more in February.

And then I sewed up our January Block of the Month blocks for a class that Cousin Kim and I are taking at one of our local quilt shops.  The bottom of the two is my official block for the class. I had chosen the solids color way for something different (for me). The top block is the extra one I’m making so that I end up with a second quilt at the end of the year.


Here are all five of the solid blocks so far.


And here are all of my bonus blocks so far. I’m actually liking these a lot more!!  The print fabric has all the state abbreviations, and should go well with a lot of colors. There will be times, though, when I will need to change the color of the BOM to suit the colors in the background (no pink or purple). 


Now, I’m caught up and so are you! Thanks for dropping by. I’m saving all my Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) blocks for the weekend. 

8 comments:

  1. Rainbow Happy Blocks for the WIN!!! THOSE Stars for your QAL with Cousin Kim are SEW pretty. Looking forward to watching that quilt grow each month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And another bunch of nifty blocks hits your design wall! You've got the month off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy! Wonderful goal and very doable for February. Thanks for sharing your update and good luck with it. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like the beginning of a great scrap quilt! Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've picked a fun project for your OMG. It's a good scrap buster too. The BOM blocks look great, my favorite of the two block sets is the ones with the print as the background. Happy stitching this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always amaze me with making multiples of most things so you end up with more than one quilt. I suppose, if you're in the doing, it's easy to do two. I love the colours in your Seeing Stars block.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun fabrics! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your projects.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!