Tuesday, May 7, 2019

UQSM Quilt Show - Utah Quilt and Sewing Marketplace

The annual UQSM show was held from May 2-4, plus on May 1 for some of the classes. As usual, Cousin Kim and I attended on Saturday. As well, I took a class on Tuesday the 2nd and then spent several hours there again going through the marketplace and looking leisurely at quilts.

The teacher of my class is Emily Taylor, who some of you may remember from her fabric designs for Riley Blake Company (Zombie Apocalypse and Zombie Love, Chillingsworth, Chatsworth, Verona, Pirate Mateys, and more). She was also the founder of Pattern Jam, a free online quilt design site, although not affiliated with it any longer. These days she’s a popular collage quilter, instructor and pattern designer. Her website is here. She’s got some beautiful quilts and patterns that I can recommend without reservation! Her process (there are two methods to choose from) is clever, and I wish I had taken a class from her before I made Groovy Guitars.

The class I took was Aviary Collage. This is Emily’s Aviary quilt, which was one of several of her collage quilts on exhibit. It was a fun class and I did learn a lot; Emily is a good teacher. I didn’t make much progress because I didn’t have the fabrics in the colors I wanted (although several fat quarters of batiks may have been purchased at the show. Heck, when they are 12/$20, how can you pass it by? I plan to do mine in shades of aqua, red-violet, purple, green, and possibly orange-gold. But that may change. I want to make it bright because our living room done in neutrals can take a punch of changing color in the wallhangings.
And then I bought another of Emily’s kits, because you know me and cactus quilts, LOL....


And now, would you like to see some of the quilts from the show? Of course you would, what a silly question! I'm going to show the credits/ribbons for each quilt after the quilt itself, unless there is a detail shot. Then I’ll put the credits between the two pictures. (Credits pix removed when I prepared 2019 blog posts for printing into personal blog book). I’ll make an occasional comment, but mostly you can just see them for yourself. The pictures are presented in no particular order, and the pictures should all be clickable to enlarge.



How cute is this???




Louise, this one is for you!





This next one, Ladies of the Sea, was my favorite. All the rigging lines are hand embroidered.






This quilt won first place in the Youth (18 and under) category.















That’ll do it for now - I hope you enjoyed them as much as I did. I’ll do a second post with some more quilts in a day or two.

Tomorrow I’m meeting with Emily Bailey from Quilty Hugs (one of the Hands2Help charities) to hand off some donation quilts. I’ll also be doing a separate blog post about that this week, as well as my first quilt finish of May.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy!! The change you made worked. Woot woot! I can now see your post AND comment at the same time. That's great for an old mind that can't remember all the things I want to say. That quilt for Louise - OMG - those boats!! Holy moly - that quilt is stunning. Followed very closely by the Ladies of the Sea. Wow, the time that went into that piece. What a fun show. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking us to the show along with you, Cathy. My favorite was Ladies of the Sea because I used to sail on my uncles schooner and it is so peaceful and beautiful on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quilts, thank you for sharing this amazing show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just don't know how quilters make such fabulous pieces! The realism just boggles my mind. Thanks for showing me the fishing boats, and the flamingo wing!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another cactus! Great looking design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing these amazing works! All are stunning! Some day, I'll get to that Quilt Show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - talk about incredible quilts! I was enjoying them all, but have to admit my jaw dropped when I saw that amazing stained glass quilt....incredible!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!