Saturday, May 25, 2019

Back from Colorado

This week we took a whirlwind trip to visit my brother Steve in Colorado. He bought a home last year in Montrose County, about a 6 hour drive from us. It’s one hour over the state line from Utah into Colorado - and it’s a gorgeous drive. Unfortunately, it was raining most of the time we traveled there (although the drive home was dry) and it was on/off rainy every day of our visit. I didn’t get any pictures because of that. But we are going back in August, so I didn’t feel too bad about that. This was mainly a working trip; I sewed new kitchen curtains for him and hemmed his living room and dining room temporary curtains (while he finishes painting then gets blinds ordered). Other rooms will be tackled in later visits.

So, all my orange Rainbow Scrap sewing was done on the weekend and on Monday before we left on vacation. I knew that by the time we got home late Friday, I wouldn’t feel like sewing or snapping pictures. We are unpacked, but Mt. Washmore awaits as does the grocery shopping. And I can’t tackle that today until after our morning dentist appointment to get the margins of our crowns filled in. One of the delights of aging.

But let me show you what scrappy sewing I did get done!

Twenty 9-patch variation blocks. They’re up on the design board but not sewn together. This is the layout I’m thinking of using - something I saw and fell in love with on Jennifer’s blog. 


Next is the Bitcoin blocks. I’m only doing these two columns wide instead of three because they’ll be used as a rainbow border for one of the RSC quilts eventually.


And some crumbs. Since I’m done with my Crumbcake blocks (quilt to be assembled in June), I am now using my crumbs to make both 5.5” and 4.5” crumb blocks.


The two different sizes are for two different projects, both of which will be introduced next month or after I finish Crumbcakes in June.

And on the OMG (One Monthly Goal) front, I did get the Stringy Starry Night quilt top sewn together. My goal is to get this basted and quilted over the next few days so I can call it a finish and link up to the OMG finish post before month-end.


Yes, it’s wonky. But that’s OK, because finished is better than perfect. My multi-colored scrap strings are once again manageable.

When we visited Steve, we were charmed by the rural area. There are no fancy stores, although there is a post office, a bank, a real estate office, a couple locally-owned grocery marts and burger joints, a nice little hotel and restaurant, a hardware store, a Dollar General, and a consignment/thrift store. We visited the consignment shop (from where Steve has bought some amazing furniture for next to nothing). What did I find? Six spools of new and partially-used Aurifil thread for 50 cents each, and fabric for $2 per yard.


So this haul of 9 yards of fabric was $18, plus $3 for the thread. Bruce got 26 jazz, blues, rock and classical CD’s for $13 (50 cents each). We listened to several of them on the drive home. What a score!!

Linking up to Scrappy Saturday.

15 comments:

  1. Your string quilt is amazing! I can't stop looking at it. Who cares if it's wonky?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very pretty quilt...and love your fabric purchase! I was born very close to Montrose; it is so beautiful there and I do miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you did score! Your description sounds like "the big city" as we live in an even smaller rural town. LOL Loved that you and your DH founds some really nice finds! And your quilts, BTW, are wonderful. The string quilt is amazing! I love that imperfect is okay by you as it is by me, too! Happy weekend, happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your orange 9s are looking great! and boy- you do have alot of orange... your quilt will look fabulous when it's all together- can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waving hello from the Front Range! It was cold, gloomy, and wet here all week - sounds like it was where you were, too. Your Stringy Starry Night is gorgeous! Love that you found all that Aurifil thread in the shop for such a good deal, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your string top! What a score on the fabric and thread!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Stringy Stars are wonky? I don't see it. All I see is loveliness! Great score on the flea market for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing wrong with wonky string stars, but how could you even tell. I love it. Great deal on the Aurifil thread. I never seem to find good deals like that, but then I don't spend enough time in thrift shops to get lucky. Have a good weekend playing catch up. Wee're supposed to have tow dry days after a rainy week, so I'll be working outdoors.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Stringy Starry Night quilt top looks wonderful! I would love to make one but can't decide on the color of the stars, but I am really liking the black. Do you know how much yardage you used for the stars? You were so lucky to have found that thrift shop! What incredible deals you got, especially the Aurifil thread!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are SEW good to your brother!! I'm happy to see that the fabric gods smiled on you with your fantastic haul at the consignment shop. Congrats! on getting your OMG sewn into a quilt top. What an AWESOME quilt that is going to be!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All in all, you really had a productive week. Your string quilt is fun and not really wonky. I do like the top block you showed. I look forward to seeing it in all the different colors. The black should really pop out. Congratulations on your quilty finds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your stringy starry night is wonderful. And string quilts are so much fun to make. And now I'm going to tell my sister how nice you were and ask her when she's going to sew curtains for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa! Great price on the Aurifil! I never see it for sale used on eBay and consider myself very, very lucky if I can buy a full spool for $6. The fabric is super cute, too. I'm a sucker for little bird prints. Stringy Starry Night is fab! It looks only like a little crookedness from the way it's hanging. Surely no actual wonk can be found? Your crumb blocks remind me that I completely forgot to make orange crumbs this month, rats...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see prisms of string color in your stars! Beautiful play of color across the quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like your Stringy Starry Night quilt - and what a great haul at the shop! I never seem to luck out with great finds like that. (oh, and I don't see any wonkiness in your quilt either....just remember only God makes things perfectly).

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!