Thursday, March 28, 2019

Another Finish and Some Pillowcases

Earlier this week I finished a tumbler wall hanging that I put on my To Be Finished list for the first quarter of the 2019 Finish-Along calendar.


The link for all our finishes will be open on April 1st, but I need to get this shared and blogged first! I’ve had these Bonnie and Camille fabrics for a couple years at least, and have almost given them away a couple times. But I forced myself to add this make to my list, and using my tumbler die (and Go! Baby cutter) cut the pieces out last December. This week I sewed them together, and in no time it was done. Why did I wait so long?


It’s now hanging in our mostly-gray living room, on a hanger that is probably too big for it. But oh well. I like to add bits of color here and there in the decor for a little punch. In the following pictures, you’ll see that I already have some teal blues and reds here and there. The Talavera vase in the picture below is normally by the fireplace. I just moved it to include in this picture (which was dumb, because it’s not in the bigger picture below, where it should be). 


This is goal #8 on my Finish-Along (2019 First Quarter) list, which you can see HERE. The finished wall hanging measures 26x32”. I quilted it simply by just doing a straight stitch 1/4” on each side of the seam lines. 


Yeah, that hanger is too big for the wall hanging, but the size of the wall hanging itself is good for the room. I have to go on the hunt for some alternate hangers for different-sized wall hangings as I make them (I do have on on my list to make next quarter that is more summer themed). 

And Cousin Kim was over to hang out and sew again today (our second time this week because our schedules allowed it! YAY!). On Sunday we decided we’d make pillowcases today. So we picked out some fabrics we loved (or that I wanted to get rid of, hehehe), and I had them all cut up for us and ready to sew.  

Kim took hers home (no picture), but I did snap pictures of the ones I made. First, we have the four that will go to some sort of charity (Million Pillowcase Challenge? One of the H2H charities? I have to do some research...)


I was about an inch short on the Joel Dewberry fabric (the large print), so the cuff of the pillowcase second from left ended an inch shorter than the rest. Otherwise, they’re identically sized (but may not look like it because of how they’re folded or photographed). They are so easy and quick to make and have wonderful finished seams inside and out.

And of course, I had to make a couple to keep. The right one, below, will be for me to sleep on. The cuff is the same fabric from Birds in the Lattice, which is on the bed. I wish there had been enough blue fabric left over to do two matching pillowcases - I would have loved to use it for the body of the case. The other yellow, gray and white one will go on the guest bed. I will be making a new quilt for that come next quarter. But first we have some painting and carpet cleaning to do in there (which I’ve been putting off for six months). 


So, I’ve gotten a lot of little odds and ends sewn this week as I wait for the new color for April to be announced for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Yesterday I basted the stacked coins donation quilt I’m making. If I can get that quilted and bound tomorrow and Saturday I may have one more finish for the month. We’ll see!

7 comments:

  1. Lovely tumblers piece--I own that die but haven't used it as yet--still struggling with the "broken dishes" one--no matter how careful I am, when put together they come out all
    wonk-i-fied! Alas, I am not a good triangle person...have not a clue as to what I am doing wrong...
    Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new piece looks so cheerful in your pretty living room! It matches the vase perfectly. I keep meaning to make a tumbler pattern since someone gave me a template. How big are the ones made?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The larger frame gives your new little quilt "presence" and speaking of the quilt... It's SEW cute! I've made a few of those pillowcases. Amazing pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute wall hanging and pillow cases! I’m counting on the few more days to get some stuff finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stripe for the binding is a wonderful touch. And I am envious that you can display items on open shelfing...while Molly suspects that Darla and Alfie don't experiment with physics and gravity enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute wall hanging and pillow cases!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm envious of that wonderful build-in cabinet in the corner - great for storage and display. Nice to have some new pillowcases too. I made some to use up some fabrics awhile ago and of course stuck them back in the drawer!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!