Saturday, September 29, 2018

Dancing in September

I was dancing yesterday in my studio (luckily my kids weren’t around to make fun of me. But back in the day, I really could dance!). The sun was shining in the windows and I had just finished piecing the Bowties quilt top. Earth, Wind and Fire was providing the music, and the song of the hour was September.

So, here’s what the dancing was about.  Bow Ties is a completed top (!!) of 288 single blocks set 16x18. Oddly, instead of measuring 64x72, it measures 65x73. I guess that’s what scant quarter inch seams do. Isn’t it cheerful?


Bowties will get basted and quilted in October. In fact, that is my OMG - One Monthly Goal - for October. I've linked up to Patty’s October goal-setting post.

And there was a lot of Rainbow Scrap Challenge sewing this week in order to finish up my darker blue scraps. First, there were the crumb blocks; 14 of them at 6.5”.


I was able to sew 19 of the Irish Chain blocks that I’ll need as the alternate blocks in my Birds in the Lattice Quilt. I already had 4, so that brings my total to 23 completed of the 32 needed. I will be able to finish up the last 9 this weekend. I put them up on the design board to get a feel for how it’s coming together. (Edited Sept 30th to add: 9 final blocks done!)


The sample layout above shows a 5x5 setting of the 10” blocks. When complete, it will actually be 7x9 for a total of 63 blocks (32 lattice, 31 birds). There will also be a border around it of the featured dark blue floral print fabric. I love the rich, saturated colors!

I’ve decided that it won’t be made into a queen-sized bed quilt as I’d have to piece more blocks than the current plan calls for. I have enough fabric, but I’m not crazy about the idea of a mostly-white bed quilt or the fact that another expansion would prolong the construction by a couple months (at least) given the upcoming holiday season. So, it will finish somewhere in the neighborhood of 78x98” with the border.

And here’s my scrappy tally for Blue September:


Top, L-R:
18  Selvage blocks, 6.5”
  3  Selvage blocks, 4.5”
  7  Birds, 10.5”
  2  Squared Away blocks, 10.5”
Bottom, L-R:
14  Crumb blocks, 6.5”
  3  Lollipop blocks, 6.5”
  1  Friendship Star, 6.5”
20  Quarter Log Cabin blocks, 6.5”
Not Shown:
28  Irish Chain/Lattice blocks, 10.5”

Total:  96 blocks

I also completed three quilts in September:


Top Left:  Safari Baby Quilt, 46.5x55"
Bottom Left:  Orange Lozenges, 62x72"
Right: Linked Squares, 64x80"

All in all, it was a good month.  I’m linking up to Angela’s blog for Rainbow Scrap Saturday, and Cynthia’s blog for Oh Scrap!

22 comments:

  1. Love those blue chains paired with your bird blocks! Definitely beautiful color! Your bowtie quilt is also filled with cheerful color, Cathy. I have mine ready to baste and quilt, just have to put it at the top of my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bowties are definitely cheerful! Did you put any thought into the layout or just pull from the pile?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finishing Bow Ties! Gorgeous top, I'm looking forward to admire your quilting. Beautiful birds, strings, and all blue blocks too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh you definitely deserve a "Happy Dance" (you go girl, with "Earth, Wind & Fire"
    you can't go wrong!!) for finishing all those beautiful bow tie blocks...a lot of your quilts in progress are coming together for you....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your finish! I love those birds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, were you ever busy! Especially love that bow ties top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm admiring everything, but it's the birdies that are making me smile the biggest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think "Dancing in September" would be an excellent name for the bowtie quilt! It has so much movement and grace. Hooray for meeting your OMG to get the flimsy done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! My head is spinning...in a good way! I love, love, love all of your accomplishments this month! I especially like Linked Squares.
    Could you possibly give me a hint or maybe a close up picture of your selvedge squares. I don't know exactly how to go about sewing them together. (my mind is a blank there for some reason) I'm feeling bad about tossing the selvedges or tossing them in my dog bed stuffing box, which is about half full now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another productive .month as usual, Cathy. Love your Birds with the lattice. It is just delightful. And I always admire your crumb blocks, wasting not the slightest bit. Have a fun week dancing your heart out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The birds in the trellis setting are just delightful. Can't wait to see that one finished.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go! You are moving right along on lots of things so you sure deserve that happy dance (and some new starts)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. September was such a productive month for you. Everything looks so beautiful. I would be dancing too!

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not a good month. A great month!! I can see why you were dancing and probably should be dancing all the time. All of these projects are dance-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your bowtie quilt top is beautiful. I especially like the mix of background fabrics. I think the bowtie has moved into my sooner rather than later list (not on paper).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you dance! I have no doubt that if I would do that, my disposition would be much better!

    Your bow ties are bright and cheerful, too...no wonder you danced! It is a wonderful quilt! I just started making bow ties as my leader/enders, so I don't know when I will make the quilt.

    Congrats on having such a productive month!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You were certainly entitled to do a dance after completing your gorgeous quilt. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome quilt - well worth a dance! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy dancing with you, Cathy. Congrats on a month that was SEW scrappy!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous finishes - each and everyone of them. Love love love the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my. Words fail me (and you KNOW that doesn't happen very often!). My favourite remains the birdies - that one is just plain happy-making.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You had a very productive September! I love your bridies! That's going to be such a colorful and bright quilt. The Bowtie quilt is full of bright colors and fun too. Congrats on all the beautiful finishes.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!