Friday, August 24, 2018

Two Quilt Finishes!

Now that Groovy Guitars is done and out of my quilting queue, I’ve hit the ground running to finish up other in-process quilts. This week I finished up both a little baby donation quilt and my longest-standing UFO (unfinished object) - my Farm Girl Vintage quilt!!

Let’s start with Farm Girl. I started this back when Lori Holt did her quilt-along, at least 3 years ago. I had chosen the 12” size rather than the 6” size because I was a fairly new quilter at the time. And frankly, I had issues with HSTs and flying geese and keeping points and maintaining proper seam allowances and .... and....

But with time and practice, my skills improved, even to the point where I was able to put these sometimes-wonky blocks together into a cohesive whole. Yes, it’s readily apparent that I now need to work on my photography skills....


Farm Girl finished at 70x82”, and I quilted it with loops on my Bernina. I would say that this size is about the limit of what I’m comfortable wrangling with on my home machine.


The backing is a farm print I bought on clearance at Connecting Threads last year, and I also used almost all its remnants to make a matching binding. Many of my favorite blocks are not represented in the 30 I chose for this quilt because they were used in the Autumn Sampler quilt I finished last January (see this post).


I still have leftover Farm Girl blocks and will probably make a donation quilt from them. They’re currently making friends in the Parts Department.

The other quilt I finished this week is a donation quilt made from a charm pack of Horizon by Kate Spain, a few extra solids and some leftover oatmeal-colored background fabric. It finished at 41x46” after washing and shrinking.


Today I’m linking up with Sarah for Whoop Whoop Friday and Alycia for TGIF (Thank Goodness it’s Finished) Friday.

These were also goals on my Quarter 3 Finish-Along post. Although I didn’t link up with the hosts (and am therefore ineligible for prizes this quarter. I was in Africa at the time.), I am using the QAL as motivation to check items off my list. The Farm Girl quilt was #9 on my list and the donation quilt was #6. You can see my goal-setting post HERE.

9 comments:

  1. Good job on Farm Girl, it is adorable. Denise@fortheloveofgeese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely finish on that Farm girl Quilt--congratulations!! The colors are so nice and cheerful..good work hugs, julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Making friends in the Parts Department' - love it!!! Your Farm Girl quilt looks wonderful and I'm sure you are happy to have it out of your to-do pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work! Love the Farm Girl quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you go!
    And since you finished two quilts, that means you can start four more! (I'm sure that's the rule)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the Farm Girl quilt! You've got quite a selection of blocks there. Is this quilt for gifting or are you keeping it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go, you! Two terrific finishes! Congrats, especially for the big Farm Girl one. That's a notable accomplishment on a domestic machine :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "parts department" LOVE THAT, will have to use that myself!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!