Thursday, August 16, 2018

Groovy Guitars - Finished at Last!

This has to be my biggest quilt finish of the year! Not in terms of size but in sheer weight off my shoulders. I’ve been struggling with this beast quilt for my dear husband Bruce for over a year. It’s been in Time Out, it’s been cussed at, it has narrowly escaped being butchered with shears, and I’m sure there is plenty of blood, sweat and tears in there, too. But this afternoon I finished sewing on the binding - by machine, because the sooner it was done, the better - and I will never have to labor over it again. Hallelujah!


Am I pleased with how it turned out? Well, yeah, I am. For the most part. The picture above was snapped just awhile ago in the shade of our backyard apricot tree. Please excuse the dappled sunlight that shows.....  Groovy Guitars finished at 52” x 69”.

Here is the back.

I used batiks for all the bright colors - the colors that were picked, along with the black background, by Bruce. He loves bright and he LOVES red.  I enlarged the pattern to make the two guitars on the ends complete. I also completed the bottoms of the guitars and the head stocks so that the entire group floats rather than being cut off at the borders. Cutting all the interlocking pieces (and working in reverse, with extra additions) was a challenge for my brain. Once that was done, the worst was over. It’s just that after that, I didn’t even want to look at it for awhile. 

I am a mediocre quilter at best, but I did do some different things on this quilt. All the black background areas were stippled with black thread.  The large orange guitar with the circle-print orange batik fabric got quilted swirls. I’m not very even or proficient with them, but no one is going to sue me over it, LOL. The guitar necks were all given straight line treatment to mimic guitar strings.


This yellow electric guitar body got some angular quilting.


The head stocks mostly got quilted with echoing lines. The rest of the pieces here and there were treated with straight lines, swirls or stipples.


After the outside photo session, we came in and I threw the quilt in the washer with 2 color catchers. We may get more pictures after it is washed.  Bruce loves the quilt! And I love that it’s done. finished. gone. over. completed.

This is my OMG - One Monthly Goal for August. I linking up to Patty’s August goal completion linkup for OMG HERE. This also checks off my Goal #8 for the Quarter 3 Finish-Along, which I blogged about HERE.  I’m also linking up to Sarah’s Whoop Whoop Friday, because I really am happy dancing over this finish!




Now I can put the pedal to the medal and finish up the next 4-5 quilts in line. They should be a breeze after this one!

By the way, Blogger has been acting up again - has anyone else been having problems? I missed several days of comments from Saturday the 11th through yesterday, the 15th. I reset everything once again and it seems to be working again. For now. However, there are several people who commented over my last few posts (Pets on Quilts, Africa Final post and Orange Saturday at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge) that I cannot respond to as I don’t have your email addresses. Please accept my thanks for commenting and apologies for not responding personally. 

27 comments:

  1. Groovy Guitars is just lovely--you did a wonderful job on this. (remember "Blood Sweat and Tears" group?) I'll bet your husband will just love it...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh look at that! Good for you, Cathy! It's a wonderful finish, and I'm so glad Bruce loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're too modest. The quilting looks great. I especially like the detail you show on the front of the guitar. And I bet Bruce is tickled red.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Groovy Guitars is fabulous. Congratulations on your finish. My Blogger keeps going back to not notifying me too and o have fixed it multiple times. Patches8@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! It's finished! Doing a little happy dance for you! And it's GREAT! I love all the textured quilting you did, and know how hard it is to do black thread on black fabric. Impossible to see where you've been or where you're going. Love the straight lines as guitar strings, too. Isn't it nice how that worked out? Congratulations on your big finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt. I'm sure Bruce will always treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great. I know how much you wanted to finish this one!! I saw it on someone else's blog in the projects they had completed. It was done in more drab colors and did not look as powerful as yours. Bet Bruce loves it too.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great quilt and a super finish. Your husband must be delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great finish. I'd show it to my SIL who built his father a guitar from scratch, but I'm afraid he might ask me to make a guitar quilt for him.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is AMAZING!!! As you are too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how this turned out!!! It's really lovely and bright and I'm sure your husband loves it. I also know good it feels to get those projects that were a struggle done, done, done! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the coolest quilts I've ever seen! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome, COOL quilt! Congratulations on a fun finish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bruce's quilt is perfect. Glad he loves it. Great color combos!!! I'm happy for you that it is done. Woohoo! Congrats on a beautiful finish. Like you said, the next five or so quilts in line will seem to fly.

    I still didn't get my "teacher" bag done that I won on your blog. School is about to start next week. I better get crackin' on it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, WELL DONE! I know how you feel, not wanting to see a quilt after it's finally finished after much trial and error. It looks great to us though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on a happy hubby and a FABULOUS finish!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can only imagine the sense of relief that this one is done, but I can also imagine how thrilled Bruce is to finally have it in his hands. I'm sure he's heard all about the angst you went through during the making of it and I'm certain he appreciates it all the more. You obviously love that man!!! Congratulations on an incredible finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful finish, Cathy! Good on you for pushing yourself outside your comfort zone! I'm in awe of your machine quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. As someone who started both quilting and playing guitar in high school your quilt certainly caught my eye! It's wonderful. Congratulations on a terrific finish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely quilt, I bet your husband is tickled pink. I hope you did a little celebrating when it was done;-) On to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Waytago, Girl! Perseverance pays off. You did a great job all around and the back is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a cool quilt! It looks awesome. You did a great job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Best Quilt EVER. Congratulations. DH must be sew happy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so awesome! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a terrific custom quilt! So bright and cheerful! It is so worth your tenacity to finish! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That quilt is so much fun -- glad you were able to push through to a finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! That is such a cool quilt! Congrats on sticking with it and getting to the finish line. My Guy is a guitarist too, he thinks it's pretty fun too. (Though he knows I'll never ever do an applique quilt, he's happy with his coffee cup quilt). I admire your fortitude. Good luck with the rest of the projects on your 2018 list.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!